Model 3

Is there a cross traffic warning signal when in reverse?

Shouldn’t I be
warned when backing up that a car is crossing my path?

Comments

• Paging Dr Fish.
  • No, the reason is since they are not 100% reliable they offer a false sense of security. People come to rely on them and don't bother to look when in reverse. Be safe.
  • Read this report on cross traffic alert failures from AAA:

https://us.vocuspr.com/Newsroom/Query.aspx?SiteName=AAACS&Entity=PRAsset&SF_PRAsset_PRAssetID_EQ=107928&XSL=PressRelease&Cache=True
  • The rear camera has a wide viewing angle so you can see cross traffic.

Now fishy will be along shortly to proclaim that Tesla is dangerous because it lacks a traditional rear cross traffic alert. You decide for yourself as to the safety aspects.
  • No.

Added a 3rd party one which gave me Blind Spot Alert and Cross Traffic Alert both lacking in Tesla.

RydeenMobile.com which works well. $1,300 not cheap.
  • > @Spuzzz said: > Paging Dr Fish.

It is a common complaint isn’t it?
  • What is a “cross traffic warning signal”?
  • > @bpr1de said:
    > What is a “cross traffic warning signal”?

Something poor drivers need to feel safe I guess!
  • Kriss kross jump jump
  • IraTishk: Posted January 16
    Is there a cross traffic warning signal when in reverse?

No there is not.

iratishk: Shouldn’t I be
    warned when backing up that a car is crossing my path?

Yes, if you were driving most any other vehicle brand other than Tesla of similar class or a lot less actually.
  • Yet you say it’s your go to car for your everyday driving commute.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @Spuzzz said: > Paging Dr Fish.
    >
    > It is a common complaint isn’t it?

It is uncommon for people who think this is an important feature to buy a car without researching whether or not it has it.
  • Some of you folks sound just like my 80 year old uncle complaining about manufacturers installing directional signals on cars when "All you have to do is put your arm out the window to signal a turn". The rear facing camera's will not see a child on a bike (or walking) when you are in a parking lot between 2 SUV's.
  • > @syclone said:
    > Some of you folks sound just like my 80 year old uncle complaining about manufacturers installing directional signals on cars when "All you have to do is put your arm out the window to signal a turn". The rear facing camera's will not see a child on a bike (or walking) when you are in a parking lot between 2 SUV's.

Neither will a rear cross traffic alert.

"The system isn't perfect, though. If you're stuck between two large cars, the sensors cannot read "through" those vehicles, rendering RCTA moot. If other cars are parked incorrectly -- say, hanging out of a space -- that can affect its efficacy, as well."

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/aaa-rear-cross-traffic-alert-systems-are-bunk/
  • @"stingray.don_98527447" : I beg to differ. I have a fairly early version of RCTA on my 2016 Toyota Camry. When Backing up, the buzzer will sound even before the rear of the car clears the adjacent vehicles. It spots vehicles, bicycles, and people.
  • So argue with the dozens of experts writing these articles. It is not Don's article.
  • The American Automobile Association (AAA) takes driving quite seriously. After lambasting automakers for removing spare tires and replacing them with inflator kits, the advocacy group is once again on the offensive. This time, it's taking aim at rear cross-traffic alert (RCTA) systems, claiming that the system comes with plenty of limitations.
  • Based on my experience, cross traffic alert systems are more reliable than autopilot or FSD.

I suspect the reason Tesla did not include it was that they were struggling to reach the original $35K price target. Other examples are no Homelink, no floor mats in SR+, no blind spot monitor, no tire repair kit, and no heated steering wheel.

p.s. - I'm not complaining, Tesla Fans. Just stating what I think happened.
  • Lol compare AP and FSD to dumb tech of RCTA bahah
  • > @Billee said:

> p.s. - I'm not complaining, Tesla Fans. Just stating what I think happened.
    >
    >

Gee I wonder who this is...
  • > @Billee said:
    > Based on my experience, cross traffic alert systems are more reliable than autopilot or FSD.
    >
    > I suspect the reason Tesla did not include it was that they were struggling to reach the original $35K price target. Other examples are no Homelink, no floor mats in SR+, no blind spot monitor, no tire repair kit, and no heated steering wheel.
    >
    > p.s. - I'm not complaining, Tesla Fans. Just stating what I think happened.
    >
    >
    >
    >

So you start a story with “ based on my experience” and end it “ just stating what I THINK happened”
    From reading your post it looks like your experienced in providing opinions WITHOUT fact.
    Let me know if you need an ambulance after falling off the fence your riding.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @Spuzzz said: > Paging Dr Fish.
    >
    > It is a common complaint isn’t it?

Yes absolutely Fish...the problem is YOU are the one making the complaint nearly ALL the time!