Model 3

Partial super charging

I have seen a lot about how you should not frequent supercharging more than 1-2 times a week - and it seems to be due to heat. But I also know it slows charging as it gets more full.
So my question is - can I super charge more frequently if I only need 1/2 the battery full?
I could super charge daily needing only 50 miles each charge - every 2 days for 150 miles... can I do this nor do I need to supercharge less frequently all together ?

2nd q - is it better to supercharge to a full charge or use the Volga free charge and get only part full of those are my 2 options 3-4 times a week?

Thanks sooooo much for any help!

Comments

• Go ahead and do partial charges. To 80% or 90%. Also try to find a way to do some charging at home.
  • > @Kch said: > So my question is - can I super charge more frequently if I only need 1/2 the battery full?"

Smaller chargers more frequently are better than larger chargers less frequently.

> @Kch said:> I could super charge daily needing only 50 miles each charge - every 2 days for 150 miles... can I do this nor do I need to supercharge less frequently all together ?

It's not the frequency as much as the amount of charge. Bigger discharge and subsequently bigger recharge via fast DC charging is what causes the degradation to increase.

Don't discharge below 10% or over 85%.

Better to discharge to 40% and recharge to 85% twice a week vs. discharging to 10% and recharging to 90% once a week.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
  • Don't listen to FISHEY. Battery University data/information has little to nothing to do with a LI battery with a sophisticated battery management system and extensive battery cooling.

FISHEY is always complaining about degradation...probably because he banks on what's posted on Battery University.

FISHEY wants to mislead as many as possible, so they too can experience the consequences his own misdoings.
  • FISHEY: said "Better to discharge to 40% and recharge to 85% twice a week vs. discharging to 10% and recharging to 90% once a week."

@Kch, What FISHEY is telling you to do is well documented to result in your battery indicator getting out of calibration, so you will think you have battery degradation.

This explains it and how to charge in order to prevent it: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/how-i-recovered-half-of-my-batterys-lost-capacity.204712/?utm_content=iss291&utm_campaign=ed9&utm_source=threadloom&utm_medium=email#post-4946309
  • > @gmr6415 said: > @Kch, What FISHEY is telling you to do is well documented to result in your battery indicator getting out of calibration, so you will think you have battery degradation."

That's old tech from NiMH batteries that had "memory". Li-on batteries don't have memory.

Just go by the science smaller discharges and charges are better than larger discharges and charges.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
  • Sheesh. FISHY is present. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    FISHY is here to disrupt the forums and spread disinformation, especially to newbies, and has links to places where, for example, supporters of TeslaQ spread falsehoods freely. Seriously, taking a link from that guy and _doing_ _stuff_ that the Troll suggests is seriously counterindicated. Note that FISHY has been doing this shtick for years, not just here, but over at the Ford BEV forums (where the entity got kicked out) and the TMC forums (likewise).
    As far as Supercharging goes: Seriously, there are people like Bighorn who put up ridiculous mileage (100's of thousands of miles a year?) and use Superchargers extensively. The Battery Management System is sophisticated and won't let the battery get harmed. As is stated in the User Manual for the car, charging to 100% all the time (like, when _not_ going immediately on a trip) can degrade the battery faster; but Musk and his crowd have said, repeatedly, that charging to 90% under normal (whether Supercharging, L1, or L2 charging) is Just Fine. There are people who have done some serious investigation and claim, with some data, that the battery will last longer if under normal commuting conditions one charges to 70% or 80% and do so; me, I stick with 90%.
    To the OP: It was a good question, it should have had a simple answer, but FISHY popped up doing its disrupt-the-forum shtick, hoping to take you and any other interested newbies down the rabbit hole. You've been warned about it, now, back to our regularly scheduled program.