Model 3

Brand new car dented by others when parking. The estimate is 14,000. Crazy!

Picked up my white M3 and parked a block away from my home while my driveway was under construction. My neighbor didn't see a car parking across the street. He hit my car while slowly backing out from his driveway. The dent is above the rear wheel on the left side. What a luck! I took it to 4 different body shops. One said the dent is on the quarter panel, so he could just pull for $1200-1500 depends on the paint. All other three insisted it's on structural panel, so they had to take left side apart, take the battery out, seats out, and replace the panel, which cost around $15,000. It shocked all of us that a small dent cost this much! And if they take the car apart, can they put it together like a new car?

We finally chose European Paint and Body at West Palm Beach as they repair lots of Tesla.

Anybody had such dent problem?
And anybody repaired their Tesla at this store before?

Comments

• Wow thats steep but I'm not shocked. I got a door ding on my fender. Barely noticeable but $1800.

I'm sure someone else will chime in here, but if you have the pearl white paint, I'd recommend a Tesla approved shop. I understand that specific paint is notoriously difficult to match.
  • Wait for the multi color paint from Tesla Berlin, what a nightmare.
  • My favorite thing about the Tesla Cybertruck is that there is no paint and the panels cannot be dented like that.
  • Replacing a rear quarter panel would be horrendously expensive as they are welded to the car, not bolted on like doors, front fenders, hoods, and, trunks.
  • Makes you wonder about the thinking there: how dare they!
  • I got a 2" dent on the rear quarter panel and the insurance carrier approved an estimate of $7,500 from a Telsa approved body shop in Houston.
  • I had my rear quarter panel and rear passenger door reshaped and repainted for damage very low on the car. Total cost $2200. The body shop guy told me the rear quarter panels are easy to remove and reshape. No removal of battery or seats necessary.
  • @AmokTime

The rear quarter panel is part of the outer body side. That is one large part that includes the rear fender and the structural openings completely around the front and rear doors. The only way to remove the rear quarter portion is to cut it off. The only way to reinstall it is to weld it back in place. Considering the additional bodywork and painting that would needed, that is not something I would call easy.
  • My Model 3 had a similar accident while parked, and it also ended up quite expensive, though a little less than yours.

Isn't it stupid to come out of the driveway backward? I hope every Tesla owner around here learns from this and always parks backward and drives onto the street forward. Parking a Tesla backward is disgusting. (I know, for some garage situations there is no other way. You are excused. :-)
  • I parked my car on the street. My neighbor backed out his car and hit my car.

@AmokTime my dent is on the left side where batter is located. If it's on the right side, I imagine it will be cheaper? They side the dent is not shallow either, so they said pulling might hurt the welding. It's a brand new car, so we want to do the right thing. But mind-blowing why they design a car that is hard to and expensive to repair!
  • > @SlimX said:
    > I parked my car on the street. My neighbor backed out his car and hit my car.
    >
    > @AmokTime my dent is on the left side where batter is located. If it's on the right side, I imagine it will be cheaper? They side the dent is not shallow either, so they said pulling might hurt the welding. It's a brand new car, so we want to do the right thing. But mind-blowing why they design a car that is hard to and expensive to repair!

Do you want top safety or cheap to repair car?
  • So the OP got much cheaper estimates but the headline is 14,000 crazy. Nothing suspicious about that at all. 🙄
  • Take your car where you want it fixed, your neighbor hit you so his insurance should pay.
  • What do you care how much the repair costs? Your neighbor has insurance right? I know I would rather pay more to properly repair what is proven to be the safest car in the world!
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > @AmokTime
    >
    > The rear quarter panel is part of the outer body side. That is one large part that includes the rear fender and the structural openings completely around the front and rear doors. The only way to remove the rear quarter portion is to cut it off. The only way to reinstall it is to weld it back in place. Considering the additional bodywork and painting that would needed, that is not something I would call easy.

I’m just going by what the body shop manager said - he made it sound trivial. They did the panel work (quarter/rocker panel is steel, door is aluminum) in one day. It was a very deep gash with crimping - the panels had to be removed and hammered out. The painting and waiting for a tail light reflector from Tesla took the rest of my repair time (I think I left it on a Tuesday or Wednesday, the estimate was done and approved the following Tuesday, the panel work was done on Wednesday, the painting on Thursday and Fri, and I waited until Tuesday for the tail reflector).

Me: “You’ll have to replace those panels, won’t you?”

Shop manager: “Nah, my panel guy said he can hammer that out no problem. That’s easy.”

Me: “How about matching the pearlescent white paint? Won’t that be almost impossible to match?”

Shop manager: “Piece of cake.”

And they did it. It looks beautiful. I looked it over pretty carefully in natural and artificial light, and I can’t tell it was ever damaged.
  • Looks like a hit and run post.
  • @AmokTime

Ah, so they just hammered out the dent and repainted as opposed to replacing the rear quarter. Yes, I agree that would be a easier. Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Not sure the issue. Sounds like a problem for your neighbor.
  • > @Ross1 said:
    > "My favorite thing about the Tesla Cybertruck is that there is no paint and the panels cannot be dented like that."

And you can throw big rocks at the windows too!
  • > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:
    > Looks like a hit and run post.

Could have been the neighbor...
  • @NorthValley

I think Magic 8 Ball meant the OP won't be coming back...just the original post and then gone.
  • > @Geedub1023 said:
    > @NorthValley
    >
    > I think Magic 8 Ball meant the OP won't be coming back...just the original post and then gone.

Hehe. That's what I meant...the hit and run post was like what the neighbor did to the OPs car...it was a trifle oblique, I'll give you that!
  • Yeah, we get a fair number of hit and run posts around this forum. It could be that they get embarrassed by the negative commentary; but these kinds of posts show up distressingly often when the short sellers are active.
    Turns out that if one clicks the author of a post or a comment on a thread, one gets taken to page that says when the author started their account, and how many posts they have. So, it gets slightly weird when a poster says, "I got the car two weeks ago and it did this-and-that!"; but, when one checks the poster's ID, it says they've had an account on the forum, for over a year with no posts.
    I mean, there's an explanation for that, too, I suppose: Somebody interested in a Tesla might create a Forum account so they can post questions, or maybe just so they can track what they've read vs. what they haven't read. But.. in, complaint, and out.
    We've had some notable posters that have come in and made what some of us considered to be crazy claims and got challenged on that. And.. if the OP comes back with more detail, is a little calmer, the community tends to up and help the person. And we all learn something.
    It's the ones, though, who with misspellings, bad grammar, strange problems that nobody else has seen; then we all start thinking troll. Or sock-puppet.
  • > Ah, so they just hammered out the dent and repainted as opposed to replacing the rear quarter. Yes, I agree that would be a easier. Thanks for clearing that up.

We've lost much of our panache when it come to "fixing stuff." I was on the hippie trail in the '70's when I met an elderly German couple in Malaysia. They had a car (can't remember what) and a small live-in trailer. (They had decided at retirement to take a trip to Istanbul, but when they got to the "Pudding Shop" they got the fever and just kept going east.) In Pakistan an ice truck dumped a pile of ice blocks on them -- rear of car and trailer. No problem, local shop pulled all the damaged panels off, hand-hammered them back to shape, prepped and repainted the car and trailer. You couldn't tell. Here, we order the replacement panels, and the blind guy in the shop gets to do the paint.