Model 3

Purchase decision for 2020 Model 3 vs 2021 Model 3

I am getting a demo car with eligibility for CA discount and rebate. In short, this is a 2020 Red Long Range AWD Model 3 with 19" Alloy wheels. Has 300 on its odo and I'm basically getting it $2500 cheaper than a 2021 Model 3 Tesla (say having the same specs). I'd probably buy a 2021 Blue Tesla Model 3 (with stock Aero wheels) and wait for 7 weeks and this brings the price at par with the Demo car that I'm getting. Is this a worthy trade off? Losing 30 miles of Range probably hits me the most, but since I live in the Bay Area, the heat pump's efficiency isn't going to factor in a lot due to the all-round Heat. I don't really mind the Chrome looks, center mod and double pane windows a lot, however I do worry about the resale. Let me know your suggestions.

Comments

• You weren't totally clear. Are you getting the 2020 LR version for $2,500 cheaper than the 2021 LR version? If that was the case, I'd probably get the new one. If you were deciding between a 2020 standard range plus or 2021 standard range plus with the 2500 dollar savings I would probably go for the 2020 version because the percentage of money that you are saving is much greater. Also, if you really like the blue so much I would not get red. You're going to be driving it possibly a long time.
  • > @JoeRussell said:
    > You weren't totally clear. Are you getting the 2020 LR version for $2,500 cheaper than the 2021 LR version? If that was the case, I'd probably get the new one. If you were deciding between a 2020 standard range plus or 2021 standard range plus with the 2500 dollar savings I would probably go for the 2020 version because the percentage of money that you are saving is much greater. Also, if you really like the blue so much I would not get red. You're going to be driving it possibly a long time.

You are right. 2020 LR version for $2,500 cheaper than the 2021 LR version.
  • Wow! tough choice: Great or Great!
    As my father wisely told me once: If a decision is too tough to make, it probably doesn't matter too much which way to go.
    You'll have an awesome car either way.
    In one case, you'll have about $2500 extra money to play with.
  • I have the 2021. I just got lucky, as i did not know i was getting it when i gave them the $100 deposit. You gain the rear lift hatch on the 2021, Maybe.... Heated steering wheel... someday. The jury is still out on that one. I saw numerous paint colors at the service center. I think they all looked beautiful. So thats a personal choice. Mine is blue and i love it, but everyone has a favorite. I know, i would have been just as happy with a 2020, the 2021 just gave me icing on the cake without expecting anything. Good luck. Whichever you choose, enjoy it and have fun.
    Stampee
  • I would get the 2021 LR. The rear lift is real nice feature. the center console with the new sliding door is very nice, Type-c in the cabin and the USB for sentry in the glovebox is handy. The heat pump is super efficient for heating and cooling. Having 280 miles at 80% SOC is great. I have the 18" aero wheels, but have the wheel covers off and the bare wheels look great. Either way good choices same that I had when I purchased my M3 LR. Glad I got the 2021.
  • $2500 extra to get the latest would be my no-brainer choice.
  • Get the new car.
  • Advice I got from Tesla sales people, experienced long time sales person, was to always get the latest product with Tesla as Tesla is always fixing things while not acknowledging there were any issues to fix but still a lot of fixes.

Caveat being don't get the first year's version even "refreshed". A lot of problems with the new heat pump which might be design or component.

So get the newer Tesla but the newest.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Advice I got from Tesla sales people, experienced long time sales person, was to always get the latest product with Tesla as Tesla is always fixing things while not acknowledging there were any issues to fix but still a lot of fixes.
    >
    > Caveat being don't get the first year's version even "refreshed". A lot of problems with the new heat pump which might be design or component.
    >
    > So get the newer Tesla but the newest.

So always get the latest product but don't get the latest product? Where are you getting your stats for "a lot of problems with new heat pump"? What is "a lot"?

thanks
  • > @NorthValley said: > So always get the latest product but don't get the latest product?"

The story of Goldilocks.
  • FISHY is present. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    At this time there's a strong suspicion that FISHY (a) doesn't own a Tesla, but may have rented one.. once. There's beginning to be a general consensus that FISHY is one to several employees of a shill company paid to disrupt the forums, mislead newbies, and discourage potential buyers; this is based upon varying word choice, grammar, and spelling on day/night cycles.
  • Apparently this is an unpopular opinion but the 2020 car is amazing so I would buy that and invest the $2,500. If I was someone who went on many road trips maybe that $2500 would be better invested in a car with longer range.
  • There are some flag worthy posts. Please exercise that option.

To the original question, @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" nailed it, you can’t go wrong with either choice.

I personally would choose the newer car. The double pane glass keeps the cabin quieter and indirectly translates to a better music system experience. Between the newer glass and powered trunk the improvements are worth $2500 to me.

Also, it’s a long shot guess/hope, but the newer HVAC system might mean less need to cleaning the system.