General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Autopilot vs FSD

Hello Everyone.
I just test drove a Model Y and I am looking to buy one. But I want to wait on purchasing FSD till I plan to use it or my next Tesla car for my wife.
Now my question is about Adaptive Cruise Control or Traffic aware cruise control - Is that part of Basic Autopilot or do you need to get FSD to get that feature. I am used to using this feature in my current car and I like to use Adaptive Cruise Control where in it takes over some part of the driving, but you are still in control of the car.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited January 19
    No, you don't need FSD for those features. Traffic aware cruise control, including lane keeping and auto-steer, works without it.
  • Autopilot is good when on highway going for long distance but I’m waiting to spend the 10k so that I can use it on city street, stop at red light, make turns on it own and drive better than I would so that I never have to touch the steering wheel ever again...
  • I would wait a few months to buy FSD. I got 3 months free FSD with my MY, and all I will say is that’s it’s not ready for prime time. For me AP is good enough.
  • FSD will be available as a monthly subscription in the coming months, so you’ll be able to get it or just try it out without spending $10k.

I have FSD, but the most valuable features to me are TACC and Autosteer, which are included in basic Autopilot. I would miss Auto Lane Change, which is not included, but the other stuff I could live without, at least as they’re implemented today.
  • Autopilot is great for what it is already. NoA with EAP or FSD is good when it works as it should.
  • Upgrade to EAP so you have auto lane change and pretend it’s FSD, works great for me
  • > @blkice said:
    > Upgrade to EAP so you have auto lane change and pretend it’s FSD, works great for me

The fact that you can't change lanes without cancelling Autosteer is my main complaint about my new M3. It's fine if there little traffic, but a pain in heavy traffic. I'm getting more use to it the more I use it, and it may be something that I just use to over time. Is there any way to stop that ding dong sound when Autosteer is engaged/disengaged? I tried using that feature to tone down other clicks, beep, etc., but it doesn't work on this.

On the positive side the Autosteer is far superior to the driver assist that was on my Honda Clarity. Can you still buy EAP? Not sure I would spend $4K just to get the auto lane change, park assist and summons.
  • @Mesa - You can change lanes without cancelling Autosteer on the S. I expect it would work the same way on the 3.

"Auto Lane Change is available whenever Autosteer is
    active. To change lanes using Auto Lane Change:
    1. Perform visual checks to make sure it is safe and
    appropriate to move into the target lane
    2. Fully engage the appropriate turn signal.
    3. Disengage the turn signal after you are in the target
    lane."
  • > @RAR said:
    > @Mesa - You can change lanes without cancelling Autosteer on the S. I expect it would work the same way on the 3.
    >

Not without FSD or EAP
  • He probably has AP1 which does that on S.
  • You can't buy EAP. That was only reintroduced for a short time in September as an end-of-quarter incentive. If you have basic AP and want anything more than TACC and Autosteer, you need FSD.

AP1 cars have TACC, Autosteer, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, and Summon (not Smart Summon).
  • Are you sure you can’t buy EAP? I’m kinda shocked
  • I mean buy EAP as an upgrade
  • > @blkice said:
    > Are you sure you can’t buy EAP? I’m kinda shocked

Not an option at this time.
  • > @blkice said:
    > Are you sure you can’t buy EAP? I’m kinda shocked

EAP was discontinued when Tesla introduced basic AP in early 2019. Basic AP was optional for a short time but then became standard. The only upgrade option since then has been FSD, except for the brief period in Sept when EAP was offered temporarily.

Nothing shocking about that.
  • I bought EAP in September for our MY. Made AP a much better tool and figured that the option to buy as an upgrade would be available

For $4K kinda expensive, poor mans FSD