Model S

Maps disappear- hard to fix

At random times, my maps stop working and tell me to connect to Wi-Fi for new maps. I live in Chicago and my garage has no Wi-Fi. I have a premium subscription. When I move to a Wi-Fi location, maps often take 24hours or longer to download. Why can’t I download to USB or use my premium connectivity. Horrible user experience and safety issue with no maps.

Comments

• Or you can buy ice car go to dealer and pay at least 120 bucks every year to update your maps.
  • > @Mark_Chicago said:
    > At random times, my maps stop working and tell me to connect to Wi-Fi for new maps. I live in Chicago and my garage has no Wi-Fi. I have a premium subscription. When I move to a Wi-Fi location, maps often take 24hours or longer to download. Why can’t I download to USB or use my premium connectivity. Horrible user experience and safety issue with no maps.

You have a garage. Put WiFi in it.
  • My maps auto-zoom seconds after I get it to the scale and location that I select. That bug hasn't been repaired for years. It was too dangerous to keep taking my eyes off the road for that long so I gave up and now use my phone for traffic data.

Traffic data and routing still needs LOTS of work.
  • > @Captain_Zap said:
    > My maps auto-zoom seconds after I get it to the scale and location that I select. That bug hasn't been repaired for years.

It's not a bug; it's a feature!
  • It's only a safety issue because you start the map download but don't it finish. If you didn't start the download, you'd still have maps. Premium Connectivity won't download maps via LTE, and it won't download most software via LTE either.

Like @"grins.va" said, put WiFi in your garage.
  • Like most condo owners, no Wi-Fi in my condo garage - I don’t own the garage and it is similar in most other condo buildings in Chicago. The fact maps take so long to update (last update took over 24 hours for the update at the service center) is a joke. Memory is cheap, why won’t the old maps work until new maps are available. I love my Tesla, but this is a poor experience that should be fixed.
  • I do think Tesla should offer the option of USB update for people that cannot or do not have good wi-fi or any wi-fi. Just ask customer to bring flash drive to service center to download the package, of course Tesla would need to add the function but I’m sure it’s something simple if they really want to do it.
  • Pull it onto the street if you don’t have LTE in the garage either and tether to your phone. I live in a remote area with very expensive data so don’t do any updates over our house internet. Last nav update was quite big but still downloaded in about 45 minutes tethered to my phone.
  • I live in a condo and connect to the open network of a nearby restaurant. Have you scanned wifi connections from your parking spot?
  • > @Mark_Chicago said:
    > Like most condo owners, no Wi-Fi in my condo garage - I don’t own the garage and it is similar in most other condo buildings in Chicago. The fact maps take so long to update (last update took over 24 hours for the update at the service center) is a joke. Memory is cheap, why won’t the old maps work until new maps are available. I love my Tesla, but this is a poor experience that should be fixed.

It is what it is. Now that you know what the issue is, just figure out a way to connect to WiFi long enough to complete the maps update. If your phone has an unlimited data plan, you can use that as a hotspot and leave it in the car until the update is finished; that's what some others in your situation do.