General

Green light detection and FSD beta

I don’t have the FSD beta, but someone who does might be able to answer this.

I use the chime on green light feature, which dings to alert you that the light has turned green. I’ve noticed that there are certain intersections where it doesn’t work, and I was wondering if that also means that FSD beta wouldn’t detect the green light and fail to start driving. Has anyone seen this issue?

Comments

• You can't really compare the current public build of FSD with FSD beta. FSD beta is training the NN to perform the tasks versus a rule based system. I haven't seen any examples of FSD beta not reading stop lights correctly. There is even a video with two examples of stoplights that are out of service, and the software treats them as a four way stop, as it should.
  • In my case, the car is recognizing the traffic lights and sees them turn green, but it doesn't chime to tell me to proceed (I'm first in line).

One of the intersections where this happens 100% of the time is at the end of an exit ramp, where all the green lights are either left or right arrows (I'm turning left). Other intersections with left turn arrows work as expected if I'm in the left turn lane.

I tried doing a bug report voice command at this intersection, but it always cut me off after hearing "bug report".
  • > @EVRider said:
    > In my case, the car is recognizing the traffic lights and sees them turn green, but it doesn't chime to tell me to proceed (I'm first in line).
    >
    > One of the intersections where this happens 100% of the time is at the end of an exit ramp, where all the green lights are either left or right arrows (I'm turning left). Other intersections with left turn arrows work as expected if I'm in the left turn lane.
    >
    > I tried doing a bug report voice command at this intersection, but it always cut me off after hearing "bug report".

So it might be related to the light being an arrow. I think there are some issues with the arrow recognition in regards to you and your lane. I had an issue at an intersection about a week ago but I cant remember the scenario or what exactly happened. It was arrow related though.
  • I suspect that there is little development time being assigned to the older software. It is a dead end, and bug reports will be ignored.
  • > @"Daisy the Road Rocket" said:
    > I suspect that there is little development time being assigned to the older software. It is a dead end, and bug reports will be ignored.

If the FSD Beta is a completely new code base, they must have started with the current code base -- they certainly didn't start from scratch. Bugs in the old code base might still be bugs in the new one.

Even so, I'd like to be able to submit bug reports from the car without getting cut off.
  • Say "Bug report no chime ..." without a pause after "report".
  • I agree on not always chiming to green. Also, flashing yellow wrecks havoc on my self drive.
  • > @hilliard528_98661406 said:
    > I agree on not always chiming to green. Also, flashing yellow wrecks havoc on my self drive.

The current public build does not recognize flashing yellow lights because it only analysis one frame at a time. So a yellow light means it is about to turn red. The code base rewrite will analysis video segments instead of individual video frames (so called 4D). If you look at the FSD beta videos, it has no problem reacting appropriately to flashing yellows.
  • Really looking forward to the FSD roll out. Very much willing to put up with bugs in earlier versions.
  • I'm not sure many here understand "bug report". It only adds info into your car's log including screen shots. It does not send anything to Tesla. It's useful for oddities before you take it in for service. If you specifically tell the service about the bug report you made, they can look it up. It can sometimes be helpful in troubleshooting a problem such as intermittents. I don't think anyone looks at it otherwise.
  • From the manual:

“NOTE: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model S takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen and instrument panel. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model S.”

How can Tesla periodically review these notes (whether or not they actually do) if nothing gets sent to Tesla?
  • Don't shoot the messenger :)

Well, when you ask your service tech to review the bug report, they download the logs. I expect there are cases where the tech then notifies engineering of something specific. In those cases, Tesla engineering can periodically review those notes.

To be fair, my understanding of this was from several years ago, and perhaps Tesla has changed. But I know how much effort it takes to sort through customer issues, with usually 80% are not relevant and/or user error, and of the 20%, many have too few details to be useful. This all takes a huge amount of work to sort through with very little real benefit to engineering. I expect Tesla feels they can get the needed information directly from the techs and select employee-owned cars.

I'm not saying I like this approach, but most large companies work in a similar way. When it comes to bugs, usually the engineers are already aware of an issue and might even have it fixed, but awaiting a QA cycle and release. If you had the engineers looking at every consumer bug report, they would never have any time to actually develop or fix issues.
  • So related to the whole FSD limited betas, does anyone know if Tesla prescribes how the testers use it? Does Tesla require/want them to use specific routes and use cases unique to each tester (to assess effects of changes to the code)? And if so, are the neural net inputs enough so that FSD will work in areas where no Tesla FSD beta was driven?
  • @"KP in NPT" is a early tester. She could say for sure, but it is my understanding from her and James Locke that it is good to go anywhere on the planet.

Now . . . where a Tesla car has not yet gone before . . . i cannot speak to whether it is necessary for human control on the first pass.
  • Mine does, in some instances, not chime for green lights. And in some instances, autopilot does not recognize the green light change and continue driving.
  • @"TeslaTap.com" — You mean the manual contains misleading information? That can’t be true! 🙂

I mostly agree with your points, but I do think Tesla needs to provide a way to report location-specific issues, since they might not learn about them otherwise. Engaging the service center is overkill for most bug reports, and who’s going to bother doing that anyway?

Having the bug reports automatically upload data to Tesla is actually a good approach, but only if you can successfully add commentary without getting cut off. I don’t expect Tesla would look at each report, but if they were looking for data for particular issues, they could search the uploaded data commentary for keywords.
  • A "map error report" feature would be nice. Automated systems could sort through nuisance reports fairly quickly by testing for multiple reports from different vehicles. For example, there is a local error that tries to route people down an private road with a house.