Model 3

Key Card required more after this update

Since the last up date my Model3 has been wanting my ket card at lease 3 times a day. I reset my Bluetooth settings hoping this will help I will find out later today if it works. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem

Comments

• Or maybe your app is not staying awake?
  • I have the opposite effect when it comes to this problem. Even with the app hibernating or disconnected, it never fails to open and start my M3 (as long as it remains in the BG).

My 3 key cards required a constant tapping removing, moving around the B pillar once the car goes on standby on all firmwares.

What's your OS? Apple/Android? Are you allowing the app to stay in the BG? Is it happening in a particular area or everywhere?
  • First of all which update is "this update"? I wish people would provide actual useful information (like software version, phone, etc).

Cars don't all receive the same updates at the same time. Also, when looking back at this post at some later date, owners will not be able to glean any useful information for themselves without specifics.

I'm at 2020.48.26 and I see no such issue. In fact, I really haven't seen any phone walk up unlock issues in say the last 5 releases. I am on Android 10 (and now 11) with Samsung S20 Ultra.
  • The only issue I see is if I trigger Sentry Mode on walk-up, whereupon I either need to wait to open the door, or put my phone on the door pillar to open it immediately.
  • edited January 19
    Luckily no issues for me. Actually never had any phone connection issues on any update ever! Only a couple of times in 14 months of ownership have I had to take my phone out of my back pocket (just take it out, not open app) for the door to unlock. Very happy...but being precautious I always carry a keycard in my wallet too.
  • > @"nigel.ayres_93375182" said:
    > or put my phone on the door pillar to open it immediately.

nigel.ayres_93375182,

This is something I have never tried. Is this using NFC in the phone? Do you have to add the phone a second time as a Keycard to do this?
  • > @pdb2655_98702799 said:
    > Since the last up date my Model3 has been wanting my ket card at lease 3 times a day. I reset my Bluetooth settings hoping this will help I will find out later today if it works. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem

I have the same problem. I don't know if it's related to a software update but after working fine with a phone key unlock my new Tesla 3 is asking me for the key card when I go to put it in gear. I have to dismiss the request 2 or 3 times before I can back out of my parking spot. Not deadly but very annoying.
  • I have 48.30 and for a week or so, would ask for a key card on the screen when I opened the door handle, But when I cycled bluetooth, it worked, put in for a service app. but it started working again so cancelled appt. Go figure.
  • > @pdb2655_98702799 said:
    > Since the last up date my Model3 has been wanting my ket card at lease 3 times a day. I reset my Bluetooth settings hoping this will help I will find out later today if it works. Just wondering if anyone else is having this problem

I tried clicking the "i" icon on the phone key function in the app and it suggests instructions that worked for me. Basically a re-pairing of the phone's bluetooth connection.
    > The only issue I see is if I trigger Sentry Mode on walk-up, whereupon I either need to wait to open the door, or put my phone on the door pillar to open it immediately.

The door pillar doesn't detect your phone, only the key card. The phone key uses Bluetooth.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @"nigel.ayres_93375182" said:
    > > or put my phone on the door pillar to open it immediately.
    >
    > nigel.ayres_93375182,
    >
    > This is something I have never tried. Is this using NFC in the phone? Do you have to add the phone a second time as a Keycard to do this?

No, it just worked as is. I assume it must be using NFC. I read somewhere online that it worked (for Android at least) and it certainly does.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > > The only issue I see is if I trigger Sentry Mode on walk-up, whereupon I either need to wait to open the door, or put my phone on the door pillar to open it immediately.
    >
    > The door pillar doesn't detect your phone, only the key card. The phone key uses Bluetooth.

That's what I thought - until I read elsewhere that it /does/ recognise the phone - and it does. Try it for yourself (NB I have Android on a Note 8 - YMMV). I touch the phone to the pillar and it unlocks the car when Sentry is triggered, at least.
  • I think you’ve been misinformed. The only RFID device recognized by the car is the key card. Try disabling Bluetooth on your phone and see if it still unlocks the car when you hold it next to the pillar.

By the way, Sentry Mode has no bearing on how your phone key or key card work.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > I think you’ve been misinformed. The only RFID device recognized by the car is the key card. Try disabling Bluetooth on your phone and see if it still unlocks the car when you hold it next to the pillar.
    >
    > By the way, Sentry Mode has no bearing on how your phone key or key card work.

Sorry to contradict you, but I've done just that and it definitely works. I disabled BT on the phone. I then enabled Sentry Mode (I'll come to that in a mo) and triggered it. I then held the phone (with BT still disabled) to the pillar and the car unlocked. Maybe its a 2021 model thing, but it *definitely* works here on mine. Try it on yours.

Similarly, I have found (tested several times) that if Sentry Mode is enabled then the BT unlock doesn't work as normal. I need either to wait for a while or use the method above. It is this effect which made me use the proximity method (which I'd read about elsewhere).
    > > @EVRider said:
    > > I think you’ve been misinformed. The only RFID device recognized by the car is the key card. Try disabling Bluetooth on your phone and see if it still unlocks the car when you hold it next to the pillar.
    > >
    > > By the way, Sentry Mode has no bearing on how your phone key or key card work.
    >
    > Sorry to contradict you, but I've done just that and it definitely works. I disabled BT on the phone. I then enabled Sentry Mode (I'll come to that in a mo) and triggered it. I then held the phone (with BT still disabled) to the pillar and the car unlocked. Maybe its a 2021 model thing, but it *definitely* works here on mine. Try it on yours.
    >
    > Similarly, I have found (tested several times) that if Sentry Mode is enabled then the BT unlock doesn't work as normal. I need either to wait for a while or use the method above. It is this effect which made me use the proximity method (which I'd read about elsewhere).
    >

For clarity: that latter paragraph should say "...enabled and triggered...".
  • Just tried it...didn't work for me.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Just tried it...didn't work for me.

What phone do you have?
  • @nigel.ayres_93375182 - When you've disabled Bluetooth on your phone, can you also use it to drive the car by putting the phone on the console, where the key card goes? Please try that.

The concern is that if in fact your car is giving access to an RFID device that was never programmed as an authorized key card, why wouldn't any other RFID device work?

I'm still skeptical that this actually works, despite what you read elsewhere and your experiment with turning off Bluetooth. A more plausible explanation is that your car is actually unlocked when you think it's locked. Where exactly did you read that the phone could be used as an RFID device with the car?
    > > @NorthValley said:
    > > Just tried it...didn't work for me.
    >
    > What phone do you have?

iPhone 12
  • Most phones do not have RFID but they do have NFC which after some googling looks to be a subset of RFID. Now I am curious if we could have the car learn the phone as if it was a RFID keycard.

https://www.atlasrfidstore.com/rfid-insider/rfid-vs-nfc/#:~:text=RFID%20is%20the%20process%20by,at%20the%2013.56%20MHz%20frequency.&text=This%20unique%20feature%20allows%20NFC,communicate%20peer%2Dto%2Dpeer.

I found a thread over at TMC that says it does work on Android.
    https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/other-key-card-options.212356/

Probably will not have time to test this myself for a few days.
  • If you can actually program the NFC phone as a keycard, that would be useful, since you wouldn’t need to carry a key card as backup in case the Bluetooth phone key doesn’t work.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > @nigel.ayres_93375182 - When you've disabled Bluetooth on your phone, can you also use it to drive the car by putting the phone on the console, where the key card goes? Please try that.
    >
    > The concern is that if in fact your car is giving access to an RFID device that was never programmed as an authorized key card, why wouldn't any other RFID device work?
    >
    > I'm still skeptical that this actually works, despite what you read elsewhere and your experiment with turning off Bluetooth. A more plausible explanation is that your car is actually unlocked when you think it's locked. Where exactly did you read that the phone could be used as an RFID device with the car?
    >

I'm not disagreeing with you. I can't even remember where I read it now, if I'm honest. I was googling about the problem with BT walk-up unlock not working when Sentry was triggered and found it. All I know is that it works. It's definitely not BT unlock either as when I touch the phone to the pillar, the mirrors unfold, whereas BT requires the handle to be opened before they do.

If I get a sec (and can find a second phone/camera) I will try to take a video of it.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > > > @NorthValley said:
    > > > Just tried it...didn't work for me.
    > >
    > > What phone do you have?
    >
    > iPhone 12

Maybe it's only on Android then. I know people are being sceptical, but all I can say is that it definitely works for me (Samsung Note8).
  • Its not something I would ever use though as I always keep my keycard in my wallet and so far, after 14 months ownership, the phone has never let me down. Interesting though.
    > Maybe it's only on Android then. I know people are being sceptical, but all I can say is that it definitely works for me (Samsung Note8).

I can validate that nigel is correct. I was able to do this with my Samsung S20 Ultra.

- I went to the NFC in the settings and turned it on.

- I then turned Bluetooth off. I know it was off because the Tesla app gave me a notification immediately telling me the phone key would not work and other BT devices I had (like my watch) showed a notification on the phone as having been disconnected as well as my COVID alert app. So Bluetooth was 100% Off.

- I held the phone up to the driver's pillar and like magic it worked.

This is not for new cars only. I received mine Oct 2018.

Thanks for the info, Nigel.