General

Cast Body

Please educate me fine people of the forum. While I like the ingenuity of casting the entire base as one piece, will that be the buyer's problem later. From the manufacturer's viewpoint: less parts and labor and reduced cost. It will also be the integrated battery pack.

From the buyer's viewpoint:
1. Can the battery be swapped later. Most of the older reddit posts of people with older cars have had batteries swapped. Is the car totaled once the battery becomes unsatisfactory?

2. Same question for an accident. If one wheel area gets bent, is the entire car now totaled? Can a solid body be repaired or is it trashed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Plenty on the web. I did a simple google search and came up with this.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/elon-musk-explains-repair-solution-for-tesla-structure-pack-when-collision-damage-involved#:~:text=According%20to%20Musk%2C%20the%20crash,bolted%20part%20for%20collision%20repair.&text=Tesla%20engineers%20its%20cars%20the,see%20Tesla%20Vehicle%20Safety%20Report).
  • You read on reddit that people just swap out their batteries....? Don't believe what you read. This isn't like swapping out the batteries in your TV remote.
  • Magic 8 Ball, great link but Elon's answer was too narrow minded. Sure if the car gets rear ended, they can cut and paste new rails, but what about getting hit from the side where the wheels are.?
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > Magic 8 Ball, great link but Elon's answer was too narrow minded. Sure if the car gets rear ended, they can cut and paste new rails, but what about getting hit from the side where the wheels are.?

You know the drill, all we have are opinions here, we cannot speak for Tesla. SMH
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > You read on reddit that people just swap out their batteries....? Don't believe what you read. This isn't like swapping out the batteries in your TV remote.

https://insideevs.com/news/449156/tesla-model-s-far-exceeds-one-million-miles/

He has gone thru four motors and three battery packs. People have had tesla change the battery pack. Sorry, what am I missing? What is your point?
  • My point is that it is not as easy/common as one may think. The OP is talking about people with older cars just getting their packs swapped out to get a more up to date battery.

Also, that million mile car IMHO is not impressive. The body may have gone a million miles, but as you said the guts have been replaced. Any car can last a million miles if you just keep replacing the worn out drivetrain......
  • Everything in the OP is in context of a cast body. OP recognizes battery can be replaced in older cars and is asking about battery replacement in cast body cars. I read nothing about an upgrade to a newer battery.