General

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

President Biden's Inauguration Live

123457»

Comments

• @kneught

The first link is behind a paywall.

The second link is an opinion piece, and moreover, it states that Kamala Harris wasn’t a ‘progressive’, which you explicitly claimed the exact opposite of.

Moreover, this doesn’t rise anywhere close to the standard of ‘horrible’.

Try again, Trumper.
  • But follow the $$$ with Kamala. It seems a pattern.
  • Bernie mittens is great. Please, everyone can agree. That meme is more powerful than putin.
  • > @RedShift said:
    > He is actually cleverer than all of you dumb bag of hammers put together.
    >
    > You think you guys are anything great by dumping on him?
    >
    > I might have my disagreements with him, but you Trumpers are the crap of this earth. 😌

Thanks @RedShift I have valid criticisms of Harris. I think her criminal justice record qualifies as horrible. But then so does Joe Biden's. Receipts: https://www.yahoo.com/now/biden-pilloried-criminal-justice-record-135800623.html

But I also have hope . . .additional receipts:

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2020/11/08/what-biden-s-win-means-for-the-future-of-criminal-justice

BLUE MAGA and TRUMP MAGA have a lot in common. They defend "their side" not matter what they do. They employ "whataboutism" to deflect blame for errors and failures. They excuse oligarchs and the powerful, and demand that they never suffer even a cross word, let alone be subject to the laws that the public is subject to.

But the maligning I get is like water off a duck's back. I have an actual ethical system that doesn't allow me to look away from Obama's drone murder of American citizens and think that due process is just "my opinion."

I want to see all american's enjoy healthcare without bankruptcy and an accelerated transition to sustainable energy, with a green new deal or something similar. We will get there and hopefully Elon's $100M seed competition for carbon capture will enable us to UNDO some of the damage we've wrought to our planet.

> @RedShift said:

> You OTOH project all the time, never making any attempt at understanding the point being debated. Never have any substantive debate with you, though I remember trying 3-4 times in the COVID thread.
    >
    > Once I realized what type of personality you are, I gave up trying to have a rational debate.
    >
    > As did most of us on that thread.

Yup. Bless his heart.

> @NKYTA said:
    >
    > While I see your point. I think you are:
    >
    > - neglecting the circumstances she went through with an only mom, and shit you couldn’t understand growing up

Maybe, but that's seems pretty thin gruel for the parents she locked up for their children's truancy.

> - neglecting to understand you are both lawyers, and she is now the first women VPOTUS, and you are not as a white male

I have no idea what this means. I don't think asian transexual executioners are a breakthrough for asians or transexuals. I prefer substance over form.

> - you are missing a bunch of good she has done

Nope. I watched her for the last 10+ years, voted against her every chance I got, and pray that she gets nowhere closer to the levers of power than she already is.

>
    > That doesn’t mean I am not angling for Bernie mittens, FYI. 😉

Back ordered. Will sip my Tesla Tequila while I wait.
  • > @kneught said:
    > https://www.ocregister.com/2020/08/13/kamala-harris-abysmal-record-on-justice-issue

Citing an OPINION from the right-wing RAG called the OC Register to make a point of fact is quite the leap. And if she was tough on crime (THAT'S what OC Ragister is concerned with LOL), that makes her a pariah to you law and order types?

It's funny to watch Fox "News" these days, struggling to find what would be laughably trivial foibles as their red meat. You seem like you'd enjoy their fare.
  • > @SamO said:

> Nope. I watched her for the last 10+ years, voted against her every chance I got, and pray that she gets nowhere closer to the levers of power than she already is.

So when you voted against Harris, you voted for the Republican candidate? ;-)
  • Here in CA we have Diane Feinstein that has done a remarkable job in many areas. She graduated from Stanford. BTW she is 87 years old and still going strong.
    Such public service astonishes me. Grateful to have her and Kamala Harris and of course President Biden. They stay above the fray but don't take shit from anyone.
    No one is perfect and if some find a splinter in another's eye they should take the beam out of their own eye.
  • > @Mike83 said:
    > Here in CA we have Diane Feinstein that has done a remarkable job in many areas. She graduated from Stanford. BTW she is 87 years old and still going strong.
    > Such public service astonishes me. Grateful to have her and Kamala Harris and of course President Biden. They stay above the fray but don't take shit from anyone.
    > No one is perfect and if some find a splinter in another's eye they should take the beam out of their own eye.

I'm not a big fan of Feinstein due to some of her anachronistic views, but she is closer to moderate than progressive. (I'm a believer in progress brought to fruition through incremental change.)
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > > @SamO said:
    >
    > > Nope. I watched her for the last 10+ years, voted against her every chance I got, and pray that she gets nowhere closer to the levers of power than she already is.
    >
    > So when you voted against Harris, you voted for the Republican candidate? ;-)

Nope. But there are ALWAYS ethical candidates on the ballot even though Blue Maga wants to pretend that is not the case. And I get to vote in the D primary (which is open) so I was usually able to vote against her twice.

;-)

I agree that it is truly rich to watch these Republicans try to find a reason to hate her that ISN'T tinged with racism. She was too tough on crime for Faux News? Lulz.

She WAS a Republican OREO. Democratic on the outside, republican filling on the inside. Now she's a progressive????

Don't make an actual progressive laugh. She's still against cannabis, right?
  • People that live past 110 stay active like bicycling, eat well and keep an active mine. The knowledge these people have is valuable.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2020/10/the-worlds-oldest-people-and-their-secrets-to-a-long-life-632895#:~:text=Kane%20Tanaka%20(Japan%2C%20b.,verified%20on%2012%20February%202020).
  • Let's recognize that Biden did took some great potential actions on inauguration day that haven't been much discussed:

“Modernizing Regulatory Review.” could unleash a wave of stronger regulations to reduce income inequality, fight climate change and protect public health. Among left-leaning experts on regulation, it’s a signal that Biden could break with 40 years of conservative policy. “It has the potential to be the most significant action Biden took on day one.”

The order could eventually lead to major changes at the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, an extremely obscure White House office located inside the only slightly less obscure Office of Management and Budget. OIRA, as it is known, is charged with vetting proposed regulations and has the power to weaken, delay or even kill new rules proposed by other government agencies.

Since then-President Ronald Reagan gave the agency expansive powers with an executive order during the conservative boom times of his first term, progressives have bemoaned OIRA’s narrow economic cost-benefit focus, arguing that it ignored social and environmental costs and benefits not easily translated into dollar amounts. “Progressives, and to some degree government agencies, have always lamented that because the benefits are harder to measure, cost-benefit analysis always puts regulation at a disadvantage,” said Stuart Shapiro, a public policy professor at Rutgers University and former OMB staffer.

Lobbyists and other corporate interests have historically seen OIRA reviews as their last chance to block or delay regulations designed to protect consumers and workers and mandate safety measures. During President Barack Obama’s administration alone, it delayed a mandate for the installation of rear-view cameras on cars for years and watered down rules protecting workers from exposure to dangerous silica dust and regulations governing the disposal of toxic coal ash.

Biden’s order appears set to dramatically overhaul that process, saying regulatory reviews should instead promote “public health and safety, economic growth, social welfare, racial justice, environmental stewardship, human dignity, equity, and the interests of future generations.” It also says OIRA’s director should proactively encourage agencies to develop rules that benefit the public.

Left-leaning attention to OIRA grew during the Obama administration, when a Harvard Law professor named Cass Sunstein ran the office. Sunstein, who had worked at the University of Chicago Law School with the president, remains a well-known public intellectual and the highest-profile person to ever hold the top job at OIRA.

But liberals said he was far too hostile to regulations. Liberal groups, including the Center for Progressive Reform, said he regularly weakened regulations at the request of corporate interests. Around the time of his departure, Sunstein defended his work, comparing himself to former Oakland Athletics’ general manager Billy Beane of “Moneyball” fame. He argued that the regulations he vetted provided a net $91 billion boost to the American people.

Biden has yet to nominate someone to head OIRA, a job which requires Senate confirmation and would have major influence over how the order is implemented. The possibility that he picks one of Sunstein’s ideological compatriots is the primary reason left-leaning regulation experts haven’t popped their champagne just yet.

But other signs point to a potential shift from the Obama-era approach: On Thursday, Bloomberg Law reported that Sharon Block, a staunch ally of labor unions and former member of the National Labor Relations Board, is Biden’s pick to serve as OIRA’s associate administrator and top official for the time being. In April, Block wrote an op-ed backing a major overhaul of OIRA to make it friendlier to workers.

“I would hope that the next administration will ask itself about every single action it takes—how does this action help the lives and livelihoods of American workers, especially workers of color who were disproportionately harmed by the pandemic,” she wrote in The American Prospect. “Not every federal agency will be well positioned to adequately answer this question about their regulatory priorities. Properly staffed and directed, OIRA can make sure that every regulation makes the best effort possible to advance this urgent priority.”

The selection of Block, combined with the day one order, has progressives hopeful that Biden and his administration understand how essential an overhaul of the regulatory process is to Biden’s promises to confront the crises of climate change, racial injustice, the coronavirus and an economic slowdown.

“The progressive agenda not only could benefit from winning this process war, it absolutely depends on winning this process war.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/biden-order-progressive-regulation_n_6009dabec5b6efae63002e20
  • https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-removes-trump-allies-153222899.html

Very smart. If Trump had done this it would have averted 4 years of insurrection.
  • SamO thanks, that explains some things about hidden workings of our government

Seems like OIRA would be KickBack heaven for a crook or any common lobbyist

Did not know about this agency
  • > @blkice said:
    > SamO thanks, that explains some things about hidden workings of our government
    >
    > Seems like OIRA would be KickBack heaven for a crook or any common lobbyist
    >
    > Did not know about this agency

If this is the progressive antidote Biden/Harris plan to bring to the inner workings of government, I wholeheartedly commend them and encourage an ethics beyond the “legal” swamp that pervades Washington. And strive for better governance.

Very encouraged.
  • > @SamO said:
    > She WAS a Republican OREO. Democratic on the outside, republican filling on the inside. Now she's a progressive????
    >
    > Don't make an actual progressive laugh. She's still against cannabis, right?

As I said, anachronistic.
  • Encouraging to see Biden improve upon something Trump started.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-sign-buy-american-executive-order-monday-n1255487
  • trump great initiative went into effect 1/18/21
  • > @tes-s said:
    > Encouraging to see Biden improve upon something Trump started.
    > https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/biden-sign-buy-american-executive-order-monday-n1255487

You'll be a Democrat in no time. ;-)