General

Snow Driving

Tesla needs to develop a snow app that disables regenerative braking. I live in Utah, own a Tesla model Y, and love it. BUT, driving my model Y on snow and icy roads is a safety hazard. Yes you can turn regenerative braking to a low setting, but it is not enough. It needs to turn off.

Comments

• https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/181406/winter-driving-mode
  • Is one pedal driving new to you? It’s definitely a new skill, but low regen on an AWD car is not significantly different than applying brakes. Speed and ice and physics demand care. Far more difficult to finesse on a RWD car or when one is not in low regen. Neutral can be used in extreme circumstances where one wishes to navigate solely with the brake pedal.
  • 7 winters in the Northeast and haven't wrecked my car yet.....

Learn the car.
  • Stop removing your foot from the accelerator. Feather the regen to good results. Or just put the car into autopilot and let the traction control do its job.
  • i have to modify my original question on winter driving (i continue to research and this isn't hijacking).

i see that just 2 models offer rear wheel drive. my driving habits in the past with rwd, manual, pre-abs was to use hand brake to slow the vehicle (along with engine gear reduction) and tap on brake pedal to trigger brake lights. am i wrong to assume (i know) that regen on a rwd EV would be somewhat similar to that braking process?

that asked, on awd (which the CT will be) does the on board traction control disable (or reduce) the regen coming from the front wheels in order to keep control?

too much time on my hands and the need to get up to speed on EV.

thx, ron
  • The CT will be one of three drive configurations. RWD, AWD (dual motor) and AWD with 3 motors.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > The CT will be one of three drive configurations. RWD, AWD (dual motor) and AWD with 3 motors.

thx and sorry. i started the other winter drive thread. i'm reserved for CT tri-motor. ron
  • @rcsjr,
    I liken slowing an EV with good regen to driving an ICE with a manual transmission in 2nd gear. You just back off on the accelerator and it starts to slow. If you're completely off the accelerator and still going too fast, move to the brake.
    The exception, of course, is that you don't have to do any shifting to or from higher gears. That same gear doesn't run out of torque at high speeds so you can run it up to 100+ mph.
    The balanced mass distribution and smooth control of torque make driving a Tesla in snow and on ice better than any other vehicle without tracks IMHO. I'm sure the CT will be no exception.
  • @ AMcCormick
    HOW DARE you request a winter mode!

You have awoken the Telsa Forum Pirahna Trolls who will shame you by claiming expert driving skills, either on this thread or other threads where they boast of self perceived superior driving skills no matter what your circumstances - they somehow know your speed, trajectory, how slick YOUR road conditions are, and all of the conditions you could possibly experience, and with all of that, have the ability to perfectly feather the pedal every time, and instantaneously with amazing accuracy - And no matter what your skill level, it wont compare to theirs - do don't even try - no matter your experience - theirs will always surpass yours - just ask them.

Meanwhile - you can be rest assured that your request for a winter mode is valid and most of us agree should be implemented. - Now watch the Pirahna's come and feed on me - it's great fun.
  • Cousin_Eddie,

Everyone was polite and offering helpful advice. Then you come along with your preemptive strike. Says more about you than anyone else.

Maybe there should be an option to turn off regen. However, as of today, there is no such option. The best we can do is offer advice on how to handle snow/ice with one pedal driving.

The reality is that some of us are comfortable with one pedal driving even during winter. I have never turned regen to low on slick streets because I can more quickly adjust from acceleration to neutral to braking as needed. You may have a different preference and that’s fine too.
  • @stingray.don_98527447
    if you look at other threads with this same topic you will see that of which I speak.
  • > @Cousin_Eddie said:
    > @stingray.don_98527447
    > if you look at other threads with this same topic you will see that of which I speak.
    >

Even more reason not to drag it into this thread. You are the one that threw out unprovoked insults in this thread. A little hard to have credibility complaining about uncivil behavior by engaging in uncivil behavior.
  • Guess he didn’t watch the inauguration. Sad.
  • Also, he’s a total newb with practically zero experience.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/comment/2157354#Comment_2157354
  • Lack of Snow Mode and the problems with not being able to turn off regen is a common complaint.
  • And 50% of people are below average intelligence. Doesn’t make them smart.
  • > @Bighorn said: > And 50% of people are below average intelligence. Doesn’t make them smart. "

You can tell because they make pointless statements like the above.

Now back to common complaint about not being able to turn off Regen and the understandable and obvious issue of this causing skidding when driving in winter conditions.
  • Doesn’t get much dicier than this.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-real-life-moose-test-video/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
  • Strange that nobody mentions that traction control and ABS work just fine with regenerative braking. Tesla cars have no snow mode, because they don't need one.

Of course even the best traction control cannot work magig against elementary physics. If you go into a curve too fast for the available grip, the car will leave the road, no matter how well the traction control works.
  • > @hgmichna said: > Of course even the best traction control cannot work magig against elementary physics."

But nothing to do with Tesla not allowing a "Snow Mode" with no regen which causes loss of traction on ice and snow.
  • Tesla cars are always in "snow mode" when they detect a slippery road. They have automatic snow mode.
  • Having driven a manual transmission for years previously and in northern New England no less, I think I became well-trained on dealing with aggressive engine braking when lifting totally off the throttle in both 2WD and 4WD vehicles. The solution was to not lift off heavily, but rather find the sweet spot of not too much on the throttle, not too much off and keeping more or less steady throttle pressure, using slower changes only. I've found that experience very helpful with one pedal driving on snow or any road condition really. At this point I don't set regen back ever, especially with modern traction control, etc.

On dry pavement keeping a steady accelerator foot has the additional advantage of saving range as it's better to work the accelerator smoothly rather than get into too much power, then regen, then power, more regen, repeat, repeat. Even though regen is pretty efficient, all that energy going back and forth still isn't as efficient as trying to hold the pedal steady.
  • @Farmer
    Exactly right. Those facile with manual transmissions are least likely to be flummoxed by regenerative braking because it is so reminiscent of engine braking and clutch modulation. Even after years of driving the Tesla, I'd occasionally find my muscle memory stabbing for the clutch at a stop light to keep from stalling;) I never dreamed of ever buying an "automatic" before the Tesla came around.
  • Excessive power on, power off driving also isn't as comfortable or enjoyable for passengers as a more steady, more averaged foot on the accelerator is.
  • The only reason for a snow mode would be for a RWD to apply non regenerative braking on the front wheels when you do one pedal driving. As soon as Rear wheels start to regen, an equal amount of braking should be applied for front wheels in snow mode to avoid the rear wheels losing grip on icy roads or snowy roads by balancing the braking.

But, as bighorn said, you learn to adapt over the years but even yesterday when I gently started to regen on an icy road, the rear of the car drifted a little bit because it was unbalanced by a front braking before I reached the brake pedal.