Model 3

Tire replacement

Like others found mxm4 oem tires to be disappointing wear. 4 front, 3 rear depth at 17K. After much research got Michelin crossclimate+ XL and got tesla to install just to be sure. My biggest worry was noise. Even the tesla rep said she had a customer come right back asking to replace these tires back to oem due to noise. Well I have to say that I can’t say for sure if these new tires are louder. Like others, the acoustic foam to be mostly gimmick. I’ve driven 60 miles highway so far. Maybe I hear a mild hum (like the sound when you blow across the top of a glass bottle) but it is so faint and doesn’t enough of a annoyance. I think I can do a 2 day road trip without being annoyed. Also maybe when a drive over a bridge crack the sound is more tympanic compared to the oem tires. That’s it. So far 2thumbs up get the crossclimate+ I’ll let you know if my thoughts change.

Comments

• > @Lightbright said:
    > Like others found mxm4 oem tires to be disappointing wear. 4 front, 3 rear depth at 17K. After much research got Michelin crossclimate+ XL and got tesla to install just to be sure. My biggest worry was noise. Even the tesla rep said she had a customer come right back asking to replace these tires back to oem due to noise. Well I have to say that I can’t say for sure if these new tires are louder. Like others, the acoustic foam to be mostly gimmick. I’ve driven 60 miles highway so far. Maybe I hear a mild hum (like the sound when you blow across the top of a glass bottle) but it is so faint and doesn’t enough of a annoyance. I think I can do a 2 day road trip without being annoyed. Also maybe when a drive over a bridge crack the sound is more tympanic compared to the oem tires. That’s it. So far 2thumbs up get the crossclimate+ I’ll let you know if my thoughts change.

Tires, I took a chance and put Voque Signature 5 tires on my model 3. Americas tire said I was the first to try them but they generally are used on heavy cars. To my surprise Not only are they quieter than my Micheline OEM MX tires after 700 miles they also have three additional aspects. One, they are a 60,000 vice 45,000 mile tire, two, they cost $153.00 and are made in Illinois, three they have a rim protector of rubber to prevent rim rash from hitting curbs. PS alignments Les Schwab for 109.00 vice 225.00 at Tesla.
  • I got the CrossClimate's about two months ago. Maybe it's my hearing, but I don't notice any change in the overall noise level. The originals lasted 23K miles, which is short by my standards.
    Interestingly, the warranty on the CrossClimate's is shorter than the one on the MXM4s - but the wear number rating on the side of the car is bigger, implying that they can go farther.
    No noticeable differences in handling or traction, but, so far, haven't had snow to bash around in so far this winter.
  • Had a flat recently and noted in repairing that there is a layer of foam in Continental OEM tires, probably for noise control. However, doesn't this obviate the use of the tire sealant in the Tesla tire repair kit?
  • Do the cross climates have the same or better load rating than the oems? I found that to be the biggest problem in finding another tire. Given the weight of the car, load rating is really important.
  • > @Abkinkc_98543861 said:
    > Had a flat recently and noted in repairing that there is a layer of foam in Continental OEM tires, probably for noise control. However, doesn't this obviate the use of the tire sealant in the Tesla tire repair kit?
    >

Yes. Another reason foam should be avoided.
  • My Crossclimate+ tires are load rated 98 and speed rated Y. The Primacy MXM4 tires where 98W. CC+ tires same weight rating better speed rating.
  • I have 4, 18” Model 3 snow tires for sales. 5K miles on them. No rims. $400. Northeast Massachusetts. Email me: [email protected] if interested. Thanks
  • I'll probably be getting the Crossclimate+ when I change my tires this year some time. I'm at about 30k miles on the original set of MXM4's.
  • I can confirm that the range drop with CC+ and AS4 is about 10%. Please take that into consideration.

It hardly matters to me when driving within town, but that range drop is noticeable on road trips.
  • I got the cross climates last spring. They are find for noise. I don't notice a difference. However, the range was SEVERELY affected. I am not averaging in the mid to high 200s Wh/mile in warmer weather. I drive conservatively and rarely floor it.

In the colder weather (below freezing), my Wh/mile has jumped to 320-350. That is UNACCEPTABLE IMO for cold weather driving in the model 3. With the MXM4s, I was getting 240 or lower in warm weather and below 300 in cold weather.

Tire pressure set to 45 PSI in both use cases.
  • Get the right tires for the road conditions.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/la3p3t/model_3_sliding_while_parked_ripping_my_charger/
  • Does anyone know what tires come on the new Model3 LR cars? The 18 inch wheels. Are they still putting Michelins on them?
  • Mine came with Continental ProContact RX all seasons in late October 2020.

Not sure if that's still the case.
  • Michelin Primacy MXM4 is what came with my 2021 M3 LR