Solar Roof

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Tesla solar roof in NY/NJ metro area

Anyone installed Tesla solar roof installed in NY/NJ metro area ? I just ordered last week and am interested to hear anyone solar roof owner from NY/NJ area...

Comments

  • I'm new to the Solar Roof in NY_LI to be exact. It's a good investment, but it worked for me in my instance:
    -Needed a new roof (over 20yrs old)
    -Interested in solar
    -Wanted the roof to look good & modern
    the solar roof fit the needs. I'm slow with producing the process(I documented most of it), but if I can help with any of your questions just let me know...

    On the East coast we have 4 seasons so this being my 1rst winter not sure how this system is going to fair. I read alot, did an Inordinate amount of research(there's the roof, the solar part, new technology, seasons, house design and insulation, electricity, grid company, Tesla the company, battery storage, etc)...and it still wasn't enough. The more you ask the better you feel IMO.
    If you're going to do it document as much as you can and segment the processes(the purchase, the design, preparation, demolition, installation, completion, energy production and usability). Of course there's details in all of the intricate processes. No1 prepares you adequately for the process...Just a fair warning... GL
  • Thanks for info GL ! I probably am in a similar situation (need a new roof etc). Ordered 2 weeks back with 16.5Kw with 2 powerwalls and waiting on design from Tesla (advisor told me that will take around 4 weeks or sooner so fingers cross :)). Heard many good and not so good stories on installation and whole process. Would appreciate if you can share your story.
    Also do you know what would be difference between roof and solar roof on the price sheet ? From initial quote, the price for roof section is based on 2700sf but my roof (around 4000sf) is larger than that and wondering remaining area will be covered under the price for solar roof.
    Also wondering 2 powerwalls are enough or need to add another one....
    Thanks,
    JK
  • > @jaek732 said:
    > Thanks for info GL ! I probably am in a similar situation (need a new roof etc). Ordered 2 weeks back with 16.5Kw with 2 powerwalls and waiting on design from Tesla (advisor told me that will take around 4 weeks or sooner so fingers cross :)). Heard many good and not so good stories on installation and whole process. Would appreciate if you can share your story.
    > Also do you know what would be difference between roof and solar roof on the price sheet ? From initial quote, the price for roof section is based on 2700sf but my roof (around 4000sf) is larger than that and wondering remaining area will be covered under the price for solar roof.
    > Also wondering 2 powerwalls are enough or need to add another one....
    > Thanks,
    > JK

    Hey JK,
    Let me c if I can break down your question:
    If I read it: the difference between roof & solar roof...The quote you got I'm assuming is for a large system and the max sq ft is 2700?...
    What I can tell you is the initial engineers that look at the top of your house (either on the spot engineers or google solar) they will make sure your WHOLE roof is installed with the solar shingles(also if you have any additional structures -detached garage-shed-etc).

    They will install PV and non-PV tiles where efficiently and optimally needed. The design will account for shading(as best as possible) and the existing style of your roof. SO the final price point will account for that...
    The price breakdown:
    total sq footage(4K) +$??
    Solar roof(16.5KW) +$??
    ---
    PW +$6500
    Backup Gateway +$1000
    PW installation +$3500
    PW+Solar discount -$2500
    included in the price breakdown that you won't see is demolition, repair of roof(if needed), trenching(if needed-but let me know if u have to do this), upgrade to your electrical box, and misc repairs to your electrical system....

    Regarding the PW sizing that's going to depend on your solar production need or desire to be off grid and other factors...It's more a question of you and the design team figuring out your energy need...

    I have a 6.9KW system and 1 PW...that is based on my energy use and future energy load(I got an EV-MY). The car sucks ALOT of energy(12KW/hr constant) so I'm still reliant on the grid for energy needs I don't see a way to be energy independent when I currently get MAX 2.4KW of sun on some days...

    Since I've got my system turned on 12/31/20 the most the sun created energy for the day is 9.5KW....

    If you do the math the car requires more than the sun produces and the PW stores(13KW) and discharges at 5KW constant...

    If you were to recharge the car with the PW everyday (which would be impossible) you would need ALOT of PWs and major energy production...Ook what about the energy your house needs? What about cloudy days or less energy creation? Yea see the dilemma:

    Now you can get creative and throttle down the draw from the car and still find balance but you will have to sacrifice something...

    Anyway that's my scenario-(I think the energy creation WILL get better as the weather moves towards spring and summer but the winter IS brutal for energy creation)
    I think the amount of PW most home owners get with a system your size is 2....BUT like I said it's all relative to your needs and desires...

    Hope that answers your Q~lmk~
  • Just remember, that come tax time, you can only write off the portion of your roof that is covered in PV tiles, plus the Powerwall. This is why the invoice breaks out the active and inactive roof tile parts of the project.
  • Hi GL,
    Thanks for explaining on price breakdown.
    Regarding how much you get it (9.5Kwh) from 6.9Kw system surprises me. I know it is winter time but that is a way less than what I have seen from other YouTube threads :). What did Tesla say your system will produce ? I am consuming around 16,000Kwh per year so not sure I need to increase capacity...
    JK
  • > @jaek732 said:
    > Hi GL,
    > Thanks for explaining on price breakdown.
    > Regarding how much you get it (9.5Kwh) from 6.9Kw system surprises me. I know it is winter time but that is a way less than what I have seen from other YouTube threads :). What did Tesla say your system will produce ? I am consuming around 16,000Kwh per year so not sure I need to increase capacity...
    > JK

    A lil over 5K annually...What you have to question regarding the YTs is their location...We have less sun-time, more overcast, and not as potent...Also less data. I haven't gone through a spring/summer -much less a month-yet so I'm assuming the potential during the rest of the year will get better....Most people on the WestCoast have had their system since 2019...then COVID. My install was supposed to be done in April...I didn't get PTO until 12/31...So the info and data is lacking...
    16K is a village dude compared to my 4.9K -You're gonna need a major system to handle your load... Think about trimming down your use...I dunno~buy more LEDs.... :)

    Just an FYI They're going to build your system based on your use yes, but make sure you factor into your design future loads on your system...

    I've watched many YTs myself seen vids with people charging EVs from sun AND powering their home...albeit the most perfect conditions...Not every day is a perfect condition especially on the Eastcoast...I think you should seriously discuss storage options...I know I'm getting another PW just seeing this system first.

    Everyday I see my system capturing more energy...Not sure if that's the sun getting better location in the sky OR Tesla removing restrictions off my system, but the power creation has gotten better...It's barely a month so I know there's more to see, but keep asking questions!
  • Eventually, you'll get *very* attuned to solar cycles, or as they're commonly called...seasons. Here in coastal So. CA, the main indications we get for seasons is the height of the Sun in the Southern sky, and the subsequent change in PV production.

    And the occasional rain storm that causes drivers to lose their minds.
  • Every system is different, partly due to location, the orientation of the panels (North get less than South facing), shade from large trees, and the time of year. As one example, on sunny days, in the Winter I get about 15 kWh/day, whereas, in Summer, I'll get 45 kWh/day. If you get snow, you'll likely get zero output until the snow melts/slides off.
  • Finally got a layout design and accepted design (took about 3 weeks). The price has been increased due to difference between initial sqft of roof and final estimate which I have no problem with it. Got 16.5Kw system with 3 powerwalls which will cover 90% of my electric usages for . Next is permit and fingers cross :).
    Anyone know we need subpannel for solar inverters & powerwalls if we don't have space in main panel ? Or we can connect those into tesla gateway 2 ?
  • They installed a small sub-panel for my system that has the breakers for solar inverters, Powerwalls, and the gateway. The cost was included in the total job.
  • > @jaek732 said:
    > Finally got a layout design and accepted design (took about 3 weeks). The price has been increased due to difference between initial sqft of roof and final estimate which I have no problem with it. Got 16.5Kw system with 3 powerwalls which will cover 90% of my electric usages for . Next is permit and fingers cross :).
    > Anyone know we need subpannel for solar inverters & powerwalls if we don't have space in main panel ? Or we can connect those into tesla gateway 2 ?

    Hi jaek - where are you located and when did you put your $100 deposit down? I am located in the Hudson Valley in NY and placed my deposit on 8/15 and still don't have a layout design. Promises every month that it will be a few more weeks, but the rep has basically no insight.
  • > @malambing1 said:
    > > @jaek732 said:
    > > Finally got a layout design and accepted design (took about 3 weeks). The price has been increased due to difference between initial sqft of roof and final estimate which I have no problem with it. Got 16.5Kw system with 3 powerwalls which will cover 90% of my electric usages for . Next is permit and fingers cross :).
    > > Anyone know we need subpannel for solar inverters & powerwalls if we don't have space in main panel ? Or we can connect those into tesla gateway 2 ?
    >
    > Hi jaek - where are you located and when did you put your $100 deposit down? I am located in the Hudson Valley in NY and placed my deposit on 8/15 and still don't have a layout design. Promises every month that it will be a few more weeks, but the rep has basically no insight.

    Hi malambing1 - I am also in the Hudson Valley; Dutchess County for myself. I put my deposit down about a month after you and no design yet either. My last update 2 weeks ago was that it should be done this month. I'd like to keep in touch to see if our experiences mirror each other.
  • > @malambing1 said:
    > > @jaek732 said:
    > > Finally got a layout design and accepted design (took about 3 weeks). The price has been increased due to difference between initial sqft of roof and final estimate which I have no problem with it. Got 16.5Kw system with 3 powerwalls which will cover 90% of my electric usages for . Next is permit and fingers cross :).
    > > Anyone know we need subpannel for solar inverters & powerwalls if we don't have space in main panel ? Or we can connect those into tesla gateway 2 ?
    >
    > Hi jaek - where are you located and when did you put your $100 deposit down? I am located in the Hudson Valley in NY and placed my deposit on 8/15 and still don't have a layout design. Promises every month that it will be a few more weeks, but the rep has basically no insight.

    I live in NJ and ordered mid-Jan of this year. Called few times for status check and my advisor has been pretty responsive.
  • Just found out that the location of our chimney on Tesla's solar layout based on satellite image is bit off and it probably require to move some of solar tiles to different area. Does this require resubmitting permit to town if we make some changes the location of solar tiles from original drawing once we submit a permit to town ?
    Also, I do have an attic fan that is not working and wondering Tesla can replace during install even though I don't mind just reseal it with plywood.
  • > @jaek732 said:
    > Just found out that the location of our chimney on Tesla's solar layout based on satellite image is bit off and it probably require to move some of solar tiles to different area. Does this require resubmitting permit to town if we make some changes the location of solar tiles from original drawing once we submit a permit to town ?
    > Also, I do have an attic fan that is not working and wondering Tesla can replace during install even though I don't mind just reseal it with plywood.

    There is about a one inch gap between the roof plywood surface structure and the solar roof panels. Room for heat to escape. Odds are you will not need an attic fan with your installation.

    Waiting for TT to comment.
  • That's one of the unexpected advantages of all types of solar...a cooler attic due to significant reduction in solar loading on the underlying roofing material.

    In my previous home, Summer temperatures in the second-floor spaces were significantly reduced after I installed traditional panels on an asphalt shingle roof. (I suspect that if the attic were better insulated, the difference would have been much less.)
  • @jaek732 - I doubt any permit changes are needed. I had a small skylight they missed in the planning. They worked around it without any problems. Moved a few tiles to a different spot. I suspect there are often minor tweaks made on-site for various reasons. It doesn't affect the end result, and you'll still have city inspectors looking it over.

    I agree with @grins.va - have the old fan/vent boarded over. They install new ridge vents that work better than my old generic roof vents.
  • Thanks for all your answers! It saved my days for worrying on those :)
  • I got my installation completed in January. However, still waiting for approval and meter replacement from utility company. My install took a bit long because of weather delays. Although, I am glad I had a delay between the roof breakdown and solar install. it rained right after the shingles were removed and the roof prepped for solar roof. I had a few leaks in the roof so I the roof guys had to come three times to fix them. We had plenty more bit rains, wins and snow. No leaks or damages on the solar roof. Plus, I was very happy to see the snow slide down the roof during the recent big snows we had.
Sign In or Register to comment.