Model S

Using free supercharging safer now?

I have a older 2013 P85+ that still has 255 miles of max range, I'm the second owner so I don't know the history of the car. The is a new free Supercharger opening up a few blocks from my work. Since the older Model S's are throttled so much, would Supercharging often hurt them anymore as they only get 50 Kilowatts?

Comments

• I think the protective measures, plus the resulting inconvenience of trying to fully charge, make SuC on a regular basis safe.

Keep in mind it has been reported that SuC over 10000KwH may reduce your charging speed further.

You can view your charging totals, usage, and much more with a CAN bus reader and app like SMT.
  • I never saw the effects of supercharging a tremendous amount until fleet wide FW throttling occurred.
  • > @brycelhale_93223784 said:
    >Since the older Model S's are throttled so much, would Supercharging often hurt them anymore as they only get 50 Kilowatts?

Older 85's still get much higher than 50kw. My '14 P85+ still peaks over 100kW at low SOC. It doesn't drop to 50kW until I reach 50-60%. Home charging is always preferable but Supercharging is not going to "hurt" the car.

> @Aerodyne said:
    > Keep in mind it has been reported that SuC over 10000KwH may reduce your charging speed further.

I have well over 10,000kWh and have no reduction other than than the fleet wide correction.
  • It won't hurt the battery. If you are going to remain with the car while Supercharging, bring something to entertain yourself. I have a Series A battery in my 2012 MS which was limited to 90kW to begin with. After the FW throttle, I seldom see a peak above 70kW when first plugging in, even at a low SOC, and it drops back quickly.