Model 3

Portable Charger

I received a grant for a portable charger to use with my 2021 Model 3. Does anyone have any suggestions which is better? These are the 2 choices:

The Webasto TurboCord Level 1+2 Dual 120/240V

or

AmazingE FAST Level 2, 32 Amp EV Charging station with NEMA 14-50 plug

Comments

• Why wouldn't you just get the Tesla Mobile Connector that comes with the car?
  • I agree with hokiegir1.

The charger is already built into the Model 3.
    The Mobile Connector comes with the car.
    Get whatever NEMA plug adapter you need from Tesla, for about $35.

For greatest convenience, get a Tesla Wall Connector. Perhaps the grant will pay for that.
  • Folks, Its a grant, its free money!

I would suggest the Tesla V3 Wall charger but that was not one of your options and sorry I am not familiar with other chargers to suggest one..
  • Ask them if you can apply the money to a Tesla Wall Connector otherwise I'd turn this down or offer it to a friend with a J1772 car that came with a Level I only portable EVSE. The portable EVSE that comes with the car is better than either of these and it also has a Tesla connector, these are both J1772s which means that you will have to use your adapter.
  • Its Free Money! Turn it down? WHY? I think if someone knows which one works better they should suggest one. Maybe one that would make it easier to swap to a Tesla wall changer in the future if he wants to? Do either of the units use the same wire as a V3 Wall Charger? But why not take the free money? He could always ebay it later.
  • Get which ever one sells for the most on eBay and then use the $$ to get a Tesla charger :)
  • There's a bit more. If you have an M3 LR or P, the car can L2 (that is, 240 VAC) charge at 48A. If you have SR/SR+, the maximum charge current at L2 is 32A.
    The TMC that comes with the car, when plugged into a NEMA14-50 or other 50A-style socket, can do 32A. Which is the same as the SR/SR+ charge rate.
    There's a bunch of L2 wall connectors that can do 32A, max. The Tesla Wall Connector, version 3 or otherwise, can, with the right wire gauge and breakers on your breaker box, do up to 100A, useful on certain Model S cars.
    Should mention: The maximum charge rate is limited by the smallest link in the path. So, an SR/SR+ hooked to a TWC on a 100A circuit is _still_ going to charge at 32A; An SR/SR+ hooked to a L2 wall connector that's good for, say, 16A, is going to charge at 16A.
    It's been mentioned before, but I'll say it again: The actual charger, that is, the thing that takes AC voltage, converts it to a DC voltage, and gets the batteries charged is in the car. The thing on the wall isn't a charger: It's a small computer, typically with switches or something, and a Great Big Relay. One side of the Great Big Relay goes to Ye Breaker Box; the other side of the Great Big Relay goes to the cable. The small computer talks to the Tesla and, between the two of them, complete safety protocols and figures out what the limiting maximum current is. At which point the relay goes "Clunk!" and AC power is applied to the car. The Tesla, itself, limits the maximum current, as described above.
    Thing is: Last time I looked, a TWC is about $500.00. And, since I've got a LR M3, that was very much the cheapest option if I wanted 48A. There were, and are, J1772-based chargers that have less than 48A that are _about_ the same cost as a TWC; the ones that can do 48A cost significantly more. Clearly, if one is going for a wall-connector based solution, Tesla's item is cheaper than the competition. Comments from anybody on this?
    Now, in my case, I figured the TWC was pretty much part of the cost of having the car and decided to go for it. Cost of the TWC, as said, was $500. In my case, the breaker panel, rated for 200A, had both spare slots and capacity to handle a 60A circuit (needed for 48A steady state draw, by code). An electrician charged several hundred bucks to put in the breakers, conduit, wires, and the cost of mounting the TWC, which I had bought over at Tesla.
    Fine, that's a M3 LR, costs for the P are the same, if you want 48A.
    Now, if you've got a M3 SR/SR+: A wall connector is neat and convenient; but, if you want 32A, all you need is a NEMA14-50 socket and a 50A circuit and breakers to the breaker box. Several hundred bucks for the installation, the cost of the socket is in the noise. With this socket, you can buy a TMC, just like the one that comes in the car, with the NEMA14-50 adapter (or equivalent), and that's, like $250. Not quite as cutesy as the TWC, but it does the job, and you can leave it in the garage while you leave the original in the car.
    You'll notice, once again, this solution is cheaper than the two options you had listed above.
    Finally: Just like SLR cameras, there are Features. One camera's got this, another camera has that. The G3 TWC has some wi-fi and the ability to see what's going on; the other two J1772 thingies probably have some Other Cool Features that they're pushing, so it's like trying to choose between Canon and Nikon; that'll be your decision. But all of them will charge the car.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > Folks, Its a grant, its free money!
    >
    > I would suggest the Tesla V3 Wall charger but that was not one of your options and sorry I am not familiar with other chargers to suggest one..

I was basically saying get a 2nd mobile connector -- one to keep at home and one to keep in the car. I read it as it required a "portable" connection -- so that's why I didn't say get a Wall Connector, but if that's possible, that would be the best answer.
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > I was basically saying get a 2nd mobile connector -- one to keep at home and one to keep in the car. I read it as it required a "portable" connection -- so that's why I didn't say get a Wall Connector, but if that's possible, that would be the best answer.

Understood, based on the guys post the grant will install one of the 2 options. He likely has no other choices if he wants the grant. I suspect this is because the grant cannot be car specific as the government cannot be supporting a specific car company.
  • Webasto looks really cheap the AmazingE is not that much better but if I could only pick from these 2 I would pick the AmazingE
  • The Webasto is a good product, however, it does NOT charge at 32 amps. It only charges at 16 amps/240 volts.
    This charges at about 12 miles per hour, easily handling most commutes.
    I used one for about 3 years with my Leaf when we only had a few NEMA 6-20 outlets at my office instead of true EVSEs.
    It is probably the most compact charging connector you can carry with you, however, the 6-20 to 14-50 adapter you also need to carry in order to use an RV park, makes it a bit bigger than just the Turbocord.
    I recommend the OP take it. As a backup if nothing else.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > The Webasto is a good product, however, it does NOT charge at 32 amps. It only charges at 16 amps/240 volts.
    > This charges at about 12 miles per hour, easily handling most commutes.
    > I used one for about 3 years with my Leaf when we only had a few NEMA 6-20 outlets at my office instead of true EVSEs.
    > It is probably the most compact charging connector you can carry with you, however, the 6-20 to 14-50 adapter you also need to carry in order to use an RV park, makes it a bit bigger than just the Turbocord.
    > I recommend the OP take it. As a backup if nothing else.

The reason I did not like the Webasto was the plug is built into the block so you really have to have an open outlet with nothing around to use it. If it had a short pigtail for the plug that would make it more versatile hence I think they cheaped out.

Also as you noted only 16amps at least with the AmazingE FAST at 32 you can easy step it down if needed so the AmazingE FAST is the most bang between the 2.
  • @007,
    Good points: Definitely true but I never had a huge problem.
    There are no duplex NEMA 6-20 outlets so it generally works there. If one uses the 120v NEMA 5-20 portion of the Turbocord, one should not plug anything else into the other receptacle of a duplex outlet anyway. However, I did have trouble with the old Chargepoint 120v stations that did not provide enough space around the NEMA 5-20 for the Turbocord. Therefore, I carried a short ~1 ft pigtail with me in case that was the only option.
    For the OP, however, there is a grant. If the grant is good, I'd take it!
  • Thank you all for your responses. You guys are amazing! I decided to go with the AmazingE FAST Level 2, 32 Amp EV Charging station with NEMA 14-50 plug. It's free and I can use it as a back up with the Tesla connector or sell on eBay. Thanks again.
  • I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    I didn't mention but I have 2 Clipper Creek charging stations at my house, just no experience with the "Amazing E".
  • These are all power supply units NOT chargers. The charger is inside your M3 and you have control of it and how it regulates current.

1. These are mostly made in China.
    2. They are mostly 32 amp limited.
    3. You need a 14-50R Nema (to get the most)
    4. No better than what Tesla already gives you.

If you want the most out of a free grant then get a 40 amp power supply with a good read out that keeps track of current and temperature.

A 40 amp power supply bridges the gap between the mobile one and wall connector. With a 40a power supply you could potently charge at 38 to 40 miles per hour depending on the quality of your house wiring. With the mobile one you're pretty much safe at 30 miles per hour.
  • Do you have a garage? If you do then I'd leave in plugged in permanently with the adapter left in place. Tesla sells additional J1772 adapters for $150 so you could get a second one to put on your EVSE and still keep one in the frunk.