Model 3

Tesla App - CONTROLS - Glovebox Button

Could we have a button added under the Controls section of the App to allow opening of the Glovebox from the phone ?
I've had one instance so far when this would have helped. I got some takeway food to eat in my car while doing a software update, but I started the update before getting the cutlery out of the Glovebox.
There is a limited time at the start of the update when you can still control certain things from your phone before it starts powering off and on, so this could come in handy sometimes.
I'm trying to get in the habit of remembering to open the Glovebox, then start the software updates, just in case I need something like cutlery, straws, napkins, sanitiser, etc. I like eating in my Model 3 :)
If the Frunk and Trunk can be popped from the App, it doesn't seem like the Glovebox would have a problem.

Comments

• For your example, it would not help. Once the update starts, the phone controls are locked out. The best is to just set an update to run at a time (3 am?) when there is no need to be in the car.
  • Ah, well if the Controls section is locked out during the update then my backup plan wouldn't work.
    Is there not a window of about 5 - 10 mins at the start of the update when certain functions can still be controlled from the phone App ?
    I think I might have been able to adjust climate temp and heated seats through my phone previously when the screen is blanked out, but I can't remember what else in the App was still usable.
  • Personally I wouldn't be messing with the car while it is doing an update...increases risk of gremlin induced issues.
  • > @alangangel_98445453 said: > Is there not a window of about 5 - 10 mins at the start of the update when certain functions can still be controlled from the phone App?

Don't think there's any remote for the glovebox. Don't see it in the StatsApp list of phone based car controls either. Since you can only access glove box while in the car not having a remote glovebox command outside the car is logical.

I update while in the car also and it seems like the screen based car controls, the only place the glovebox shows up, are active or inactive at different points in the update.

Put a set of cutlery in the center console?
  • Voice command opens the glovebox as well. Doesn't help during an update. Sadly -- the resident troll has that suggestion correct: find another spot (center console, armrest, back of seat pocket) to keep your cutlery.
  • @alangangel_98445453 "Is there not a window of about 5 - 10 mins at the start of the update when certain functions can still be controlled from the phone App ?"

I always start the update from my phone and it usually gives me about a 2 minute countdown before the update starts. Do you get that? If so, you have a little bit of time to open the glovebox if you are already seated inside. If not, you can cancel the update and then restart it when you are ready.
  • You want Tesla to add a feature that would have helped one person in one instance? Anything else they can do for you while they’re at it? 🙂
  • Best thing is to not do updates until safely back at home!
  • > @Geedub1023 said:
    > @alangangel_98445453 "Is there not a window of about 5 - 10 mins at the start of the update when certain functions can still be controlled from the phone App ?"
    >
    > I always start the update from my phone and it usually gives me about a 2 minute countdown before the update starts. Do you get that? If so, you have a little bit of time to open the glovebox if you are already seated inside. If not, you can cancel the update and then restart it when you are ready.

Yes I get the Timer, but since I discovered you can tap it 3 times to make the update straight straight away, I tend to do that each time now as well.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > You want Tesla to add a feature that would have helped one person in one instance? Anything else they can do for you while they’re at it? 🙂

Correct :wink: it would have helped me once before and possibly again in future.
    Who knows how many other people it may benefit in other situations if it was an option.
    It seemed like it may have been a simple change to have it in the App next to Frunk and Trunk.
    Isn't that part of the advantage Tesla has, that it can add helpful features for it's customers in free OTA Software Updates.
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > Best thing is to not do updates until safely back at home!

For me, I don't like this option.
    My car is parked outside my apartment with no CCTV and I can not see the car from any of my windows.
    It may seem silly, but I think having Sentry Mode running 24/7 is an amazing feature for peace of mind, but I don't like the thought of the slim chance that something just happens to damage the car in that time Sentry Mode is off, then I would only blame myself for turning it off and leaving it unattended.
  • @alangangel_98445453 — Yes, Tesla can add new features with OTA updates, but only if enough people want them, or Elon thinks they’re cool (farts etc.). 🙂
  • > @EVRider said:
    > @alangangel_98445453 — Yes, Tesla can add new features with OTA updates, but only if enough people want them, or Elon thinks they’re cool (farts etc.). 🙂

haha yeah, maybe if we could have the glovebox making a fart sound as it opens after being pressed in the phone App it might help it to get added in future.
  • I think it would be cool if we could pick a fart sound and assign it to a seat and have it triggered by someone sitting in the seat at the same time the audio does a quick balance + Fade to that seat for the duration of the fart. Grin
  • I am installing 2020.48.35.5 right now and after the screen blanked out to start the update, I checked the App and I was still able to go into Controls and tested flashing the lights, it worked. As there is no Glovebox button to test 😉 I thought I'd press the right steering wheel button, not expecting to hear anything as the screen was already starting the update after the timer counted down. I was shocked to hear the beep, I said 'open glovebox' . . . . . . . . The Glovebox OPENED ! 😂 So as long as your car understands your accent, we still have a window of opportunity to open the Glovebox after software updates have begun.
  • I think there should be farther sensors in the seat that when you farther, a voice comes over the speakers and says "ewwwwwww"
  • > @alangangel_98445453 said:
    > > @NorthValley said:
    > > Best thing is to not do updates until safely back at home!
    >
    > For me, I don't like this option.
    > My car is parked outside my apartment with no CCTV and I can not see the car from any of my windows.
    > It may seem silly, but I think having Sentry Mode running 24/7 is an amazing feature for peace of mind, but I don't like the thought of the slim chance that something just happens to damage the car in that time Sentry Mode is off, then I would only blame myself for turning it off and leaving it unattended.

? eh ? You said you were eating food in your car...so just eat it outside your home while the software updates...
  • > @NorthValley said:
    > > @alangangel_98445453 said:
    > > > @NorthValley said:
    > > > Best thing is to not do updates until safely back at home!
    > >
    > > For me, I don't like this option.
    > > My car is parked outside my apartment with no CCTV and I can not see the car from any of my windows.
    > > It may seem silly, but I think having Sentry Mode running 24/7 is an amazing feature for peace of mind, but I don't like the thought of the slim chance that something just happens to damage the car in that time Sentry Mode is off, then I would only blame myself for turning it off and leaving it unattended.
    >
    > ? eh ? You said you were eating food in your car...so just eat it outside your home while the software updates...

Yes, eating food in my car while I'm already out and about, getting food on the go.
  • Lunch breaks are for Netflix, not doing software updates. What happens if some emergency pops up and you need to leave right away. Do updates overnight.
  • > @mazers said: What happens if some emergency pops up and you need to leave right away."

Same applies to doing update at home or anywhere. Biggest issue is what if update disables car and you are on the road? Not a big deal there as either way, car will need to get towed to service center. Neither is a very likely scenario to be worth considering.

Most updates are 30 minutes every two(?) months. Needing to get into the glovebox in those short and infrequent times seems a rare occurrence.
  • Maybe in the meantime, start putting some of your utensils, straws, etc, in the console or door pocket storage?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @mazers said: What happens if some emergency pops up and you need to leave right away."
    >
    > Same applies to doing update at home or anywhere. Biggest issue is what if update disables car and you are on the road? Not a big deal there as either way, car will need to get towed to service center. Neither is a very likely scenario to be worth considering.
    >
    > Most updates are 30 minutes every two(?) months. Needing to get into the glovebox in those short and infrequent times seems a rare occurrence.
    >

Can't believe I'm even responding to Fish, but here goes. If you are out eating and need to leave immediately, you can't because you are in the only car available. Installing software updates in the middle of the night would almost never be an issue. Besides those of us who are married almost certainly have another car to use if an emergency happens while at home.
  • > @mazers said:
    > Lunch breaks are for Netflix, not doing software updates. What happens if some emergency pops up and you need to leave right away. Do updates overnight.

I already explained earlier why I prefer not to do that.
  • > @ODWms said:
    > Maybe in the meantime, start putting some of your utensils, straws, etc, in the console or door pocket storage?

Yeah this is probably the simplest and easist solution for what happened to me one time.
    Was just thinking a button in the App may come in handy at some point for someone during that first 5 - 10 mins of an update.
  • There's a glovebox?