Model 3

Salvage model 3 drivable?

Hello all. I am looking at a salvage model 3 at the auction. It looks drivable except all the airbags are deployed. My question is this, will the car still power up and move with the airbags deployed? Will it be in some sort of limp mode, take a charge etc. ? Thanks in advance for a any response.

Comments

• You'd probably need to know why the bags are deployed to find out if it's driveable. Are you allowed to get into the vehicle and power up the screen?
    It could tell you alot.
  • If the airbags deployed, isn't there major structural damage as well? I'd think that damage would be far more likely to prevent operation. I suspect, but don't know for sure if airbags deployed alone should not stop the car from being drivable.
  • Also, see this policy statement from Tesla:
    https://www.tesla.com/about/legal#unsupported-salvaged-vehicle-policy
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > Also, see this policy statement from Tesla:
    > https://www.tesla.com/about/legal#unsupported-salvaged-vehicle-policy

+1

Don't do it. Look at what TeslaTap.com said. I know someone who got a salvaged "S" and after fixing it he discovered it was disabled for everything including Supercharging. He then found out it was very costly to have Tesla re-certify the car when they do not do the repair work. I understand Tesla's position on this. Having a car with possible wrongly repaired items using supercharging and FSD is looking for trouble.

If I recall with the damage to his salvaged "S" they quoted him $10,000.00 to recertify the car.

Your resale value is also crap because the title will forever be stamped Salvaged. And in some states to bring a car out of Salvage status takes jumping through hoops.

There is a guy on YouTube who also Salvaged an "S". Go look at his videos about his salvaged "S".

Rich Rebuilds
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rich+rebuild
  • A salvage Tesla it's not completely cripple, however, you will not be able to supercharge. Other than that, you will receive updates (as I know someone who owns one) but you're done with warranty regardless!

The risk-reward isn't there. A salvage Tesla is not like a BMW or Mercedes were the parts are readily accessible. You are going to overpay for used parts and Tesla isn't going to hook you up with new ones.

If you don't travel anywhere, you're fine. If you want to take a trip you're stuck with Electrify America or Chargepoint. You could stay in a hotel that has destination chargers and offset your travels that way.
  • I would turn and run the other way as fast as I could. Too much risk to make it worthwhile IMO.
  • > @JEI said:
    > A salvage Tesla it's not completely cripple, however, you will not be able to supercharge. Other than that, you will receive updates (as I know someone who owns one) but you're done with warranty regardless!
    >
    > The risk-reward isn't there. A salvage Tesla is not like a BMW or Mercedes were the parts are readily accessible. You are going to overpay for used parts and Tesla isn't going to hook you up with new ones.
    >
    > If you don't travel anywhere, you're fine. If you want to take a trip you're stuck with Electrify America or Chargepoint. You could stay in a hotel that has destination chargers and offset your travels that way.
    >
    >

I might be mistaken but ALL DC fast charging is disabled by Tesla in a salvaged car? In fact, Tesla threatened to sue owners if the car was hacked to allow DC fast charging on non Tesla Superchargers (IE. Electrify America etc..) . Has Tesla's position changed?
  • OK, so I asked my friend who owns a salvage MS about third party DCFC and he confirmed that it stopped working as well.

So I guess you're SOL for DCFC and stuck with L2 watch grass grow time...
  • Ron is right, it's not just Supercharging that's disabled, all fast charging is disabled so you can't just get a CHADeMO adapter and use that. A salvaged Tesla is just a parts car, it make no sense trying to put it back on the road.
  • > @bjrosen said:
    > Ron is right, it's not just Supercharging that's disabled, all fast charging is disabled so you can't just get a CHADeMO adapter and use that. A salvaged Tesla is just a parts car, it make no sense trying to put it back on the road.

Not necessarily, if you only use it locally or withing its range and granted you got it super cheap; it is a viable option to own a Tesla.

Some people think with their wallets and not their brain.
  • But the title will be stamped Salvage so your resale is crushed. If you buy it you should plan on driving it until one of you dies.
  • I'd buy a $20,000 Salvage Model 3 as a commuter car any day of the week. Charge at home, AP for no-stress rush-hour commutes, world's best sound system, what's not to like?
  • @Frank99: If one reads through Tesla's reasons for not wanting anything to do with a Salvage car, there is a good reason or three. The one that got to me was the battery pack: Take some kind of major structural damage that somehow involves the battery pack and, well, there's physical danger involved.
    Tesla gets picky and talks about the safety of their service personnel. Um. This isn't an ICE: Worst you'll get with a salvage is a gas leak, maybe, and, in general, one can smell those. Or maybe the brakes failing. In a Tesla, one has high voltage. Busted wires with 600 VDC on them are, well, kinda invisible.
    I wouldn't take the car, myself. Even as a gift.
  • > @Frank99 said:
    > I'd buy a $20,000 Salvage Model 3 as a commuter car any day of the week.

if it’s salvage you still have to fix whatever is wrong with it first. So is it accident salvage? Flood salvage? So that would be $20,000 + $??
  • Maybe for $3,000. $20,000 for such a risk -- good luck.
  • I should clarify that in some states like Florida, "Salvage" means for export or destruction. In a case of total loss but "Rebuilt Salvage" the vehicle can be giving a rebuilt title once it gets inspected.

Initially, I think my friend was able to supercharge until one day he got the message that DCFC was disable.
  • > @JEI said:
    > Initially, I think my friend was able to supercharge until one day he got the message that DCFC was disable.

Yup once the paperwork is completed and the car is marked salvage at the mother ship, if the owner fixes it and it starts phoning home it will get the command to disable the Tesla provided features. I forgot to say the car will not get updates either.