Model 3

Feature benefits of Model 3 with latest Auto Pilot vs Model S with AP 1.0

Currently driving 2014 Model S with AP 1.0. Wondering about trading in for latest AP, maybe in a 3. If you have driven both, how much difference in the AP experience?

AP1 is great on highways. Not so much on country roads. Getting older, wondering about the benefits of more assist.

Any input?

Thanks

Comments

• New AP is definitely 100 times beyond what our old AP1 can do on local roads.
  • Have you done a test drive in a model 3? If you do that would be more immediate feedback for you. I think you’ll find the latest AP outstanding, miles beyond and better than what you currently have.
    But again, don’t take someone’s word for it, take a test drive.
  • AP on a model 3 doesn’t have - auto park, lane change while on AP with signal, or summon. FSD and EAP do have all that.

I see Tesla is selling the MCU 2 upgrade for $1500 now, that may be a nice addition to a solid AP1 car :)
  • > @PrescottRichard said:
    > AP on a model 3 doesn’t have - auto park, lane change while on AP with signal, or summon. FSD and EAP do have all that.
    >
    > I see Tesla is selling the MCU 2 upgrade for $1500 now, that may be a nice addition to a solid AP1 car :)

Mcu2 update won't add any better AP functionality for him.
  • Yes agree, test drive a 3 with fsd feature set.
  • I recently sold my p85 with AP. The new car with 8 cameras and better sensors is way more aware and accurate. You do need to buy FSD to get the full experience with auto lane change, stopping at lights and signs, etc.

Also the new car keeps improving, your ap1 won't get better any longer. 3 and S are very different cars, drive new versions of both then decide for yourself.
  • Aside from the difference in features, AP1 has a harder time tracking lane markers than newer versions, especially on roads where the markers aren’t clearly visible.

Unless you buy FSD, you’ll lose Auto Lane Change, Summon, and Autopark if you buy a new Tesla.
  • Regular summon is available with AP too.
  • OP, have you watched any of the beta videos for what is coming soon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNT5MzjAAms
  • Thanks for sharing that video. I haven't watched one of these in a while -- this is way more impressive than any of the others I've seen. FSD Beta has a come a long way.
  • AP1 is awesome, but it pales in comparison to the new system.

A long time ago AP1 was better, and I was a vocal critic of the newer system until around mid 2019. The newer system improved over time and outclassed AP1. That’s history, the new system now has mind blowing level of sophistication.

Just for context here are my observations as the system improved. As an AP1 user you’ll probably be able to relate. https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/93264/m3s-eap-improvement-log-updated-for-2018-24-1/p1
  • @EV, yessir! The latest 10th build of the FSDbeta being tested is Mindblowing compared to its release last November. The videos are getting more and more impressive.