Model S

MCU2 upgrade price dropped by $1000

Now available for $1500.

Comments

• https://mobile.twitter.com/teslainventory/status/1352433097074073603
  • Now, where's all those folks that wouldn't pay for it because it was too much? LOL
  • Drop it another 1k and I'm in....
  • Does that include the radio?
  • Not according to the Tesla site...I'm thinking another price drop before my warranty expires.
  • I upgraded my 2015 70Dand my wife's 2018 model x 100D, 2 months ago. The 70D mcu failed so I had to pay for it. But now the back up camera is useless at night and also no fm/am radio. The X is doing fine just no radio
  • And the service center on long Island is saying I have to pay for the camera upgrade (I think 600 bucks). It's more about the principal of the matter at this point, not the 600)
  • @acegreat1, What camera upgrade are you referring to?
  • Rear view camera, on the trunk.
  • I understand what part. But what "camera upgrade" are you referring to? And $600? For what. Last time I bought one of the rear cameras, it was $74.00 a couple of years ago.
  • Do we have different versions of the rear cameras and some versions do not work well (dark images at night) with MCU2?
  • If and I know this is a big "if", NHTSA elevates the whole MCU issue to Recall status, then it will be free.
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > If and I know this is a big "if", NHTSA elevates the whole MCU issue to Recall status, then it will be free.

Didn’t that already happen?
  • The current recall is a suggestion to Tesla from ODI, not a mandate. I suppose if Tesla refuses, then they will mandate it. No idea why they nuance it like this.
  • > @akikiki said:
    > I understand what part. But what "camera upgrade" are you referring to? And $600? For what. Last time I bought one of the rear cameras, it was $74.00 a couple of years ago.

The mobile service tech told me, if I wanted be able to use my back up camera at night I would need to have it replaced for 600 plus tax. And it's not a guarantee that would fix the contrast problem (in the dark). I
    He also said if I talk to the service manager and explain my situation they might replace "goodwill" the camera because I paid for the upgrade.
  • > @inconel said:
    > Do we have different versions of the rear cameras and some versions do not work well (dark images at night) with MCU2?

Yep, it's strange because I upgraded my 2015 S, and my wife's 2018 X the same month (October) , the X is great (everything works as it should). It's just this "thorn in my side" back up camera on the S at night
  • > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > If and I know this is a big "if", NHTSA elevates the whole MCU issue to Recall status, then it will be free.

Fingers crossed. Now with the $1,000 price cut, u would think they would fix the little issues. Ie: backup camera
  • Ev rider, not yet
  • The recall is just a suggestion? AKA not a recall. Words matter.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > The recall is just a suggestion? AKA not a recall. Words matter.

Right a suggestion, @bh, who said is was a recall?
  • @acegreat1_92960109
    I've always known it was a suggestion. I was remarking on:

"barrykmd
    Posted 8:15AM
    The current recall is a suggestion to Tesla from ODI, not a mandate. I suppose if Tesla refuses, then they will mandate it. No idea why they nuance it like this."

He knows better.
  • @acegreat1, I've had the big trim and the trunk handholds off a couple of times on different years of the S. Usually the part number tag is still on the cable for the camera. You might be able to see it and take a picture to get the part numbers for your S and X. And that will tell you if they are different items.

Some of us have had a front camera kit on our S's and X's for a couple of years. It started interfering with Smart Summon operation and I for one disabled it. Here's some maybe useful info. The camera between spring '13 until Oct '16 was the same. Then in Oct '16 they used a different one. We all thought the Oct'16 camera was high resolution. Some of us bought the new camera to put on our newer cars too(on the front). After Oct'16, the "kit" with would not work with two of the same cameras (rear and front) So we went back to the old '13-16 version.
    I think I can find the part number for the '16> one. So we can probably determine if the one on your X is different. Your S probably has the '13-16 one. I have that part number too.

All this might help us figure out if there's been a part number/part revision since.
  • > @barrykmd said:
    > Does that include the radio?

no... I just got a call back from Jason at my Dallas Service Center this morning (10am,22 January) and he said it's an extra $500 for the radio kit and software patch for it, as long as you pay for the MCU2 update too. > @acegreat1_92960109 said:
    > > @inconel said:
    > > Do we have different versions of the rear cameras and some versions do not work well (dark images at night) with MCU2?
    >
    > Yep, it's strange because I upgraded my 2015 S, and my wife's 2018 X the same month (October) , the X is great (everything works as it should). It's just this "thorn in my side" back up camera on the S at night

> @acegreat1_92960109 said:
    > > @inconel said:
    > > Do we have different versions of the rear cameras and some versions do not work well (dark images at night) with MCU2?
    >
    > Yep, it's strange because I upgraded my 2015 S, and my wife's 2018 X the same month (October) , the X is great (everything works as it should). It's just this "thorn in my side" back up camera on the S at night

> > @inconel said:
    >

> > @inconel said:
    >

> > @inconel said:
    >

> > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > > If and I know this is a big "if", NHTSA elevates the whole MCU issue to Recall status, then it will be free.
    >
    > Fingers crossed. Now with the $1,000 price cut, u would think they would fix the little issues. Ie: backup camera

> @EVRider said:
    > > @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > > If and I know this is a big "if", NHTSA elevates the whole MCU issue to Recall status, then it will be free.
    >
    > Didn’t that already happen?
  • @bh I got it, I didn't see Barry write "the current recall".
  • @akikiki, ahhh, I might just wait til the cybertruck and say goodbye to the S