Model 3

Windshield Replacement

Hi. I have read past posts on windshield replacement. My insurance is Amica and they cover glass in full letting me go where I choose. They could not get a hold of anyone at the service center in Scottsdale Az but sent a confirmation number to the service center and my email. I booked my appointment. Then I received a message that due to high demand they are not currently replacing windshields. They suggested , Blue Chip, a third party installer. I am posting because everything I have read here says the warranty can be voided if they mess it up and I will have to get the cameras calibrated at a service center anyway. I replied that I dont feel comfortable taking my expensive car to a third party and asked when they will be replacing windshields again. I dont want the cameras or electronic components messed up or the warranty voided.. Anyone have any advice ? Thoughts? Thanks:( I absolutely love my model 3. Its the best car I have ever owned!

Comments

• Now my insurance just sent a follow up email saying my cars safety system will need to be recalibrated. Idk who else can do that besides Tesla....
  • Not sure about Tesla. My last vehicle was a Subaru with MobileEye eyesight lane assist/adaptive cruise control cameras behind rear view mirror. Windshield cracked so I called Subaru dealer and was told that they don’t service the windshield but gave me a third party company that does and recommended to have the dealer calibrate the cameras after the repair for $700. The third party windshield technician was super experienced and said that 90% of the time they don’t touch the cameras and the car doesn’t need recalibration. Sure enough the system performed flawless with new windshield without paying big bucks to the dealer for recalibration. On the Subaru the cameras do some type of self calibrate every time the vehicle is started. Before getting my Tesla I was impressed at how well the mobilEye adaptive cruise control with lane assist system worked. Tesla’s autopilot system is about 10x better.
  • Search for a tesla approved body shop in your area here. They are trained to recalibrate the cameras. I am currently replacing mine as well.

https://www.tesla.com/support/body-shop-support
  • What insurance do you use by the way? Liberty Mutual is giving me a real hard time about me taking it to Tesla Approved shop vs Safelite. I really want to avoid any camera problems even if they are rare. Please let me know if your experience is any better. My car has been waiting at the shop for 2 weeks now while Liberty and the Shop duke it out over price haggling.
  • > @TenaciousT said:
    > Not sure about Tesla. My last vehicle was a Subaru with MobileEye eyesight lane assist/adaptive cruise control cameras behind rear view mirror.

Subaru Eyesight uses their own system, not Mobileye based.