Model 3

Make Sentry Mode more energy efficient.

From another thread about adding features.

> @alangangel_98445453 said: > It may seem silly, but I think having Sentry Mode running 24/7 is an amazing feature for peace of mind, but I don't like the thought of the slim chance that something just happens to damage the car in that time Sentry Mode is off, then I would only blame myself for turning it off and leaving it unattended."

As quirky as Sentry Mode is from update to update (one time hundreds of images, other times none) it is a nice feature but it is so energy intensive.

A way to make Sentry Mode more energy efficient would be a functional update vs. bug fixes and new versions of online "Jeopardy".

What sensing HW would Tesla need so that Sentry Mode only records when motion near the car? Currently I believe Tesla keeps the cameras and computer on which causes the power drain. Does Tesla need to add motion sensors?

Ford has Dash Cam accessory that interfaces with the cars sensors to provide similar feature. Could Tesla provide a kit to do that? Add some sensors?

Comments

• > @FISHEV said:
    > From another thread about adding features.
    >
    > > @alangangel_98445453 said: >
    > What sensing HW would Tesla need so that Sentry Mode only records when motion near the car? Currently I believe Tesla keeps the cameras and computer on which causes the power drain. Does Tesla need to add motion sensors?

The Cameras need to be powered on, the computer needs to be powered on to control the cameras.

But for fun lets say it was able to detect motion without being powered on.... The car detects motion (how it would without being powered on I have no clue) but once it sees motion, it powers up the computer and cameras just in time to start recording the backside of the guy who smashed your windshield as they walk away. In order to record properly you have to have frames stored before the motion is detected or you will not capture the entire event. If the computer and cameras are off there are no cached frames.

To detect motion you have to compare frames for pixel differences.

If you install motion sensors all over the car what is going to power all the motion sensors?

If you don't like the power sentry uses buy a couple of Dash cameras.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > If you install motion sensors all over the car what is going to power all the motion sensors?"

12V battery but these are very low power draw vs. cameras and computer running all the time.
  • Keep in mind the cameras were never originally designed to be security cameras. Their purpose was for FSD. People asked for it to be used for security. They redesigned their software at that request and gave it out for free. Just be happy with this. Do you really expect Tesla to add hardware and rewrite their code again and give out for free?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > 12V battery but these are very low power draw vs. cameras and computer running all the time.
    >

I repeat "In order to record properly you have to have frames stored before the motion is detected or you will not capture the entire event. If the computer and cameras are off there are no cached frames."

But I forgot your habit is ignoring facts for your own Flat Earth theories.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > I repeat "In order to record properly you have to have frames stored before the motion is detected or you will not capture the entire event."

Don't care about catching "entire event" just the "red dot" event. Much of the Sentry Mode video is useless.

Motion detectors low power draw, only activate cams and recording when motion detected.
  • Too bad Sentry Mode is just one of a long list of features your beloved MachE will never have. Why not go to the MachE forums and complain that it doesn't even have Sentry Mode?
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Don't care about catching "entire event" just the "red dot" event. Much of the Sentry Mode video is useless.

Ahh you don't need a picture of the guy smashing your windshield you just want a picture of his back side running away.
  • And, since FISHY is a troll, we get the standard disclaimer following it around:
    Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user
    names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please
    take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may
    suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt
    about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    Note that, at this time, it is strongly suspected that FISH is one or several employees of a shill company, paid to disrupt the forum, confuse newbies, and to put false information on the web. Taking advice from this troll is a very bad idea.
    Once in a while, FISH will publish something slightly sane - followed up by its usual double-talk with false, but hard to check facts. Frankly, it's not worth anybody's time attempting to separate fact from fiction with this troll; part of its shtick is to put up words, right on that boundary, in order to confuse people.
    Final note: On a given day, FISHY puts up dozens to hundreds of posts, day in, day out. This does _not_ appear to be a natural human being. Word choice, grammar, and spelling also vary from post to post, not a good sign.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > Ahh you don't need a picture of the guy smashing your windshield"

You'd get movie of guy breaking into the car, you seem confused on how proximity sensors and security systems work.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > You'd get movie of guy breaking into the car, you seem confused on how proximity sensors and security systems work.

You seem confused about how long it takes for a computer to wake up from a sleeping state. You would get a video of a guy walking away from your car through its smashed windshield. You need cached frames.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > You seem confused about how long it takes for a computer to wake up from a sleeping state."

Millseconds from getting signal from motion sensor but issue is not "waking up" and there's no "computation". Motion sensor signals and camera goes on and records from the first millisecond of contact or proximity to the car.

No different than Tesla's Sentry Mode except Tesla has to keep cameras and computer on, burning a lot of power, an inefficient system.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Millseconds from getting signal from motion sensor but issue is not "waking up" and there's no "computation". Motion sensor signals and camera goes on and records from the first millisecond of contact or proximity to the car.

LOL, So it takes 1 Millisecond for the motion sensor to signal the cameras and the cameras boot in 1 millisecond? Do you seriously believe a camera will power up in 1 Millisecond? Camera has to boot, sense lighting conditions focus and adjust the iris. Once the Camera is booted the Computer has to start capturing frames. Do you also think the computer will boot in a millisecond from a standby state?

Oh wait my mistake, that all does happen in a few milliseconds on Flat Earth. So once Tesla opens a SC in your world you will get your wish granted.
  • > @HAL2001 said: > So it takes 1 Millisecond for the motion sensor to signal the cameras and the cameras boot in 1 millisecond?”

Possibly even a microsecond to catch a thief.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Possibly even a microsecond to catch a thief.

Do they even have thieves in your world? Or is it all pink skies and butter flies?