Model S

MCU2 upgrade on 2017MS

In December of 2020, I paid to have my MCU1 upgraded to the MCU2. My unit was part of the "recall", but I believed the smart money was to upgrade for the additional features and faster LTE. I also paid the $500 to have analog AM/FM. The good: system is 10x faster than MCU1
However...there is bad too.
1. Caraoke has NEVER worked. I actually showed the service manager at time of pickup.
2. More than a few times, the system will be playing one thing, but showing something completely different on screen AND selecting other streaming stations doesn't change what is playing.
3. Today, I received a message from Tesla stating the following; "Good morning Christopher, this is Tesla service. We have reviewed this concern and have found that is a current characteristic of the firmware. There is no known root cause at this time. Engineering is aware of the issue and it is under investigation. The issue will be resolved in a future firmware release. Moving forward we will close out your service visit request as there is no firmware fix available at this point in time. Thanks and have a great day!"

4. Today, I read that Tesla slashed the price of the upgrade by $1,000! I am seeking a refund as it has been less than 30 days!

Questions
1. Has anyone else upgraded their MCU and experienced the same issues?
2. Has anyone successfully managed to get a refund after the price decrease?

Comments

• I've also done the MCU2 Retrofit a few months back.

I've never used the Caraoke app. I've not seen either streaming issues with MCU2, but it may be related to a specific streaming app. I use Slacker, but never Spotify.

As part of the long-term warranty, Tesla has already stated they are going to give back something to those that bought MCU2 to fix MCU1 issues. The amount is not yet known, but they said it would be announced by the end of February. With the price reduction, perhaps that will be included.
  • Here is what I received:
    January 21, 2021 Update: Infotainment Upgrade price is now 1,500 USD (or local currency equivalent). We will not issue partial refunds for upgrades purchased prior to this price adjustment. Tesla often adjusts pricing as we find more efficiencies, so that we can pass along the savings to our customers. This is in the spirit of continuous innovation and improvement, and does not warrant issuing partial refunds for prior purchases.
  • > As part of the long-term warranty, Tesla has already stated they are going to give back something to those that bought MCU2 to fix MCU1 issues. The amount is not yet known, but they said it would be announced by the end of February. With the price reduction, perhaps that will be included.

Please share the source of this information
  • @chris - Tesla sent an email to all MCU1 owners explaining this several months back.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > As part of the long-term warranty, Tesla has already stated they are going to give back something to those that bought MCU2 to fix MCU1 issues.

That's not how I read it. Reimbursement is for if you had the MCU1 repaired at a cost, not upgraded.

Copy of the email:
    Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
    Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
    If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.
  • > @chris_98168578 said:
    > ... but I believed the smart money was to upgrade for the additional features and faster LTE.

chris, there is no regular or faster LTE. Its LTE. There was not/is not a faster LTE.
  • Frankly, the whole situation makes me feel like a dumbass! I paid to upgrade from Enhanced AP to Full. Then, I paid to upgrade MCU, only to see the price drop by a freaking $1,000 dollars in less than 30 days. I had my car in multiple times for problems with MCU1, but was always told they couldn’t find anything wrong OR we sent a firmware update to your car. The browser on the MCU1 was as useful as tits on a bull. At least, that was the case for mine; it almost NEVER worked and when it did work, it worked for about 5 minutes. At this point, I’m in a Love/Hate relationship with Tesla.

As for faster LTE, “I read it on the internet” LOL
  • @GHammer - You may be right, but "If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program" may cover some portion of an MCU2 upgrade if you were having MCU1 problems. We should know more in 5 weeks or so. My guess is they may provide a credit of $500 - the cost of an MCU1 daughterboard replacement. Then again, maybe not.

I had some slow boot issues with MCU1 and a couple of other quirks. I did document it with service. This was before they had any means to do eMMC tests. I elected to just go to MCU2 as I wanted the new features and faster operation.
  • I still don’t see any benefit in upgrading to MCU2 for 1500 IF your car is covered under warranty. It doesn’t give you enough to justify the cost plus it’s not like you will recover the money on resale. Still not worth IMO
  • @adeel421 I agree if it's still under warranty, many with the issue are not under warranty anymore
  • I agree. I had the repair done for MCU1 under warranty. Now it’s fine. I have no intention of paying for MCU2. Partly because I don’t need the extra features and partly because, if I did decide to splurge, I would get annoyed when Tesla drops the price again or does some other pricing thing that makes me feel stupid for paying.
  • > @akikiki said:
    > > @chris_98168578 said:
    > > ... but I believed the smart money was to upgrade for the additional features and faster LTE.
    >
    > chris, there is no regular or faster LTE. Its LTE. There was not/is not a faster LTE.

Correct, but I read somewhere that the antenna’s associated with the MCU2 were much better...
  • I don't believe the MCU2 retrofit replaces the LTE antenna that resides in the passenger-side mirror housing.

Many cellular chip updates for phones as well as cars over the years usually include additional frequency bands and better sensitivity. So when comparing two "LTE" items, there can be quite a bit of difference.

Between MCU1 and MCU2 LTE is about 4 years in technology, so I'd expect the MCU2 design to be quite a bit better. Consider how many new phones are better than those made 4 years ago. This should result in better reception and working in more rural areas. I wouldn't expect much speed increase, but there could be some. Now, these LTE differences may not be obvious to some depending on their travel routes.
  • Will Dash Cam become operational when we upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2, and should we also look into upgrading the cameras?

I’ve heard that the image quality on the backup camera, especially at night, degrades considerably in the MCU upgrade.
  • @avesraggiana, dash cam depends on what hardware your car has. If AP 2.0/2.5, then yes. It has the tech. It helps too, (I think) if you get the HW3 hardware too. Sometimes they install it with MCU2.

Cameras? We don't know what rear camera to replace the rear with to make it better. Have you heard something?

We do know it improves the dash cam images if you repleace the side repeater camera from 2.0 to same as 2.5.

Helpful?
  • > @akikiki said:
    > @avesraggiana, dash cam depends on what hardware your car has. If AP 2.0/2.5, then yes. It has the tech. It helps too, (I think) if you get the HW3 hardware too. Sometimes they install it with MCU2.
    >
    > Cameras? We don't know what rear camera to replace the rear with to make it better. Have you heard something?
    >
    > We do know it improves the dash cam images if you repleace the side repeater camera from 2.0 to same as 2.5.
    >
    > Helpful?

Very helpful. Thank you.

On some other threads I had read some griping about the deterioration in video quality in the backup camera, especially at night.
  • Yes, many of us have read that too. I noticed in total darkness, in reverse, its more difficult. But so far no one has told us what part number is a better image.

and people are also saying that Tesla is working on a firmware fix. When were the first MCU2 installed? Mar/Apr. So, nearly a year and no fix.
  • Yup, no fix yet. Either a software update or service replace would be need for my vehicle to use the reverse camera @ night
  • Yesterday, Tesla Service texted me 30 minutes prior to their closing that my car was ready to pick up.

I’ll be going to the Service Centre in a few hours to pick up our S75D.

I’m confused, though. Our March 2017-build came with MCU1 and AP2.0, and EAP. We did NOT purchase FSD. Configured as such, will we be getting the DASHCAM feature with our new MCU2?
  • I did the MCU2 upgrade and included upgraded entertainment to keep
    my XM/Sirus Satellite Radio....here in the CO Mountains the internet coverage is very spotty...hence I mainly use XM/Sirus via satellite. Does anyone know if the new Plaid S coming later this year or next will have XM/Sirus Satellite radio?
  • > @ebarneyr said:
    > I did the MCU2 upgrade and included upgraded entertainment to keep
    > my XM/Sirus Satellite Radio....here in the CO Mountains the internet coverage is very spotty...hence I mainly use XM/Sirus via satellite. Does anyone know if the new Plaid S coming later this year or next will have XM/Sirus Satellite radio?
    >
    >

For the price their asking I would sure hope that it did.
  • My MCU and screen lock up and reset randomly. Service has had vehicle twice and they tell me the car is fine. However I was unable to pick up the car due to locked charging port and screen completely non responsive
  • 2017 Model S with MCU1 AP 2.0. Pro-actively paid the MCU2 upgrade to prevent safety issues. Also successfully got $500 SiriusXM installed with MCU2.

Positives: No technical issues with MCU2 noticeable whatsoever.

The needs fixing:
    MCU1 was crashing every 30 minutes or so. Root cause according to the Tucson service center seems to be the FPGA but I was also affected by the EMMC recall. I reached out to the Tesla executive team but I got this response from the executive assistant there: "Since you opted for the Infotainment Upgrade as an alternative to the free eMMC replacement, we are unable to issue a refund."

On a follow up e-mail got this response: "we’re unable to offer refunds (partial or full) due to a price change."

" 2. Has anyone successfully managed to get a refund after the price decrease?"
    I'm not sure if leadership themselves (besides the assistants) has actually read the e-mails but I have not been able to successfully get a refund for paying $2500 instead of the updated $1500 price - which stings.

Frankly the unit should have been replaced under warranty. Vehicle was under warranty at time of repair. However, the engineering team said the vehicle was drivable with MCU1 when clearly the logs show the software crashing every 30 minutes or so. Vehicle was obviously a bit unsafe to drive.
  • @chris_98168578 I share your pain, but at least I have a working car now. I also paid to upgrade to FSD and that has been wonderful. Car now on MCU2 AP 3.0
  • I upgraded in Oct. 2020, before any of the recall information was available. Great improvement with everything EXCEPT
    'caraoke' HAS NEVER WORKED and Tesla can not find a solution after numerous attempts.