General

Power Brakes

What powers the brakes on the Teslas? Is it electric, vacuum or hydraulic?

Comments

• Everything is electric (brakes, steering, HVAC, etc.). There is a mechanical backup as required on all cars, so if there is a brake system failure you can still brake, although you have to press harder on the brake pedal.
  • I appreciate the reply.
  • Sorry, the brake calipers are hydraulically actuated, they may be electrically controlled or boosted, but definitely hydraulic. Only the parking brake is electric.
  • @lbowroom - Thanks for the finer details. Clearly, I was too brief!
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:> - Thanks for the finer details. Clearly, I was too brief!"

Clearly you were laughingly WRONG...but gee it sounded good.

Be nice if Tesla would go to the more advanced blended systems where pushing brakes activated regen as one option as this would allow SNOW MODE and other improvements.

https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/181568/snow-driving
  • Well I guess we'll disagree. The brakes are electrically controlled. Lbowroom is also right that the control goes through a hydraulic system. You're welcome to drive with the 12v removed from the brake system, but it gets much harder to brake. Works as an emergency backup. In normal operation, you need the 12v power to get power brakes.

I prefer the Tesla one-pedal driving system also used by most EVs. I don't see Tesla adapting your suggested bizarre and unnecessary system. Does this mean you're dumping the MachE, as it copies the same approach as Tesla and all other sophisticated EVs?
  • I hate to do this ttap ... the brakes are no different than any other modern car. There’s no mechanical backup system, other than the solenoid activated parking brake.

Fish, blended brake application suck and it’s off topic for this post. Teslas method of separating the function is brilliant.
  • > @lbowroom said: > Fish, blended brake application suck and it’s off topic for this post. Teslas method of separating the function is brilliant.”

Going to a blended (regen and brakes) system would be a good upgrade for Tesla. Comb with a good brake light indicator on the dash.

Certainly on the topic of brake controls, how Tesla builds the brakes has impact on car functions like regen, blended brakes etc.
  • I agree lbowroom. The Tesla brakes are standard hydraulic brakes, using an electric assist much as most ICE cars use a vacuum assist.

I haven’t tried disconnecting the brake assist device on my model 3 so I can’t speak as to how much effort would be required, but I’m assuming it’s no worse than an ice vehicle with a vacuum failure.
  • @lbowroom - If I've misstated it, and it appears I have, please call me out. I'm far from all-knowing and I learn a lot here too :)
  • It just surprised me ttap.

“with a good brake light indicator on the dash”

What on earth is wrong with you?