Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Do you report phantom breaking?

Hi all,
I just had a phantom breaking while using TACC yesterday with no cars around me and I used the "Bug report" voice command to report as "sudden deacceleration" ... I should have just said "phantom breaking" but I was startled by the breaking event. Anyway ... do you guys report them? I hope so ... so Tesla is aware of how many times it happens. I still wish I could know what caused it.

Comments

• I have had 2 since I purchased the car ~8 months ago. But I have not had any events in a long time. One event I was too new to know I should report it. The second one I did report as phantom breaking. I think both my events were overpass issues which I suspect has been resolved.
  • You should but it seems pointless as Tesla has no intention of ever moving TACC (adaptive cruise) to a production product. TACC and AutoSteer are both Beta products for Tesla and always will be so Tesla can avoid regulatory issues on "Full Self Driving" product.

Tesla makes the AP product (TACC, AutoSteer, LaneKeeping, Blind spot) problematic to encourage purchase of $10k "Full Self Driving".
  • FISHEV is a known liar and tries to present himself as TESLA spokesperson. He has no clue what Tesla intends or does not intend to do yet he presents himself as an authority on the subject. He is a narcissistic legend in his own mind.
  • Into how many pieces?
  • If I truly can't figure out what caused it, yes I report it. But 98% of the time, I can identify the cause.
  • @HAL2001 ... overpass! that was probably was caused mine. I had just driven under an overpass.

@hokiegir1: Could you list a few of what you think happened to you?

I've had it once before on autosteer (only have AP in my car). I thought it may be the sunset on the left side that confused the system... but just speculating here.

@FISHEV: I would imagine that the same AP code is in the more expensive options (EAP, FSD). No reason to reinvent the proverbial wheel.
  • @Rodo - I've seen the car slow for traffic in the neighboring lane (this used to happen for both lanes, but it was refined to the left lane) -- so, if the left lane is going slower, the car will slow a bit in anticipation of either traffic slowing or cars hopping in front of you. I've also seen where the car will slow when approaching on-ramps in anticipation of traffic entering. In particular, left lane entrances have caused more slowing than right lane. For the right, the car will try to move to the center lane as preference, but will slow if that isn't possible.
  • I've had a about 2 or 3 events and every single one was overpass related! The last time this happened to me was in October and I have traveled under many of those same overpasses since then, so for me it seems to have 'gone away'!
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > You should but it seems pointless as Tesla has no intention of ever moving TACC (adaptive cruise) to a production product. TACC and AutoSteer are both Beta products for Tesla and always will be so Tesla can avoid regulatory issues on "Full Self Driving" product.
    >
    > Tesla makes the AP product (TACC, AutoSteer, LaneKeeping, Blind spot) problematic to encourage purchase of $10k "Full Self Driving".

You don't even own a Tesla. Go away!
  • > @hokiegir1 said:
    > @Rodo - I've seen the car slow for traffic in the neighboring lane (this used to happen for both lanes, but it was refined to the left lane) -- so, if the left lane is going slower, the car will slow a bit in anticipation of either traffic slowing or cars hopping in front of you.

I know there is a rule that lane splitting motorcycles cannot go more than 10 MPH faster than the cars in the adjacent lanes. I wonder if there is a rule for cars. For example 3 lanes in the same direction on a 65 MPH road. Right 2 lanes slow to 25 MPH do you still have the right to drive 65 in the 3rd lane? Common sense says slow down but is there a rule like no faster than 10 + 25 on a non divided lane?
  • The phantom braking events I have experienced do not involve an overpass. It seems to me that tree-lined roads on a sunny day can cause shadows that are being misinterpreted as a vehicle obstructing the road.
  • For me its been a couple events in 2 1/2 yrs, and I don’t report since I know the cause; once the car-or map- thought I was on the service road rather than the freeway, the other was on a brand new piece of freeway so again speed limit prob not recognized at that time.
    Never had the overpass or shadow type.
  • Few we had was due to overpass and slower traffic next lane.
  • Which makes it not phantom braking.
  • Sure, if I can't figure out why the car might have misdiagnosed what it's seeing. I also report if it misdiagnoses something as an intersection too (for the stop-on-red-light mode). There's a place where a road goes under an overpass, and that sometimes floods, so they've put up a set of overhead blinking (amber) lights to signal when it's flooded. The car sometimes interprets that as a light-controlled intersection and still start slowing for it.
  • > @Rodo said > I would imagine that the same AP code is in the more expensive options (EAP, FSD). No reason to reinvent the proverbial wheel."

Problem is that in AP mode, adaptive cruise is problematic with the phantom braking, speed increases, speed decreases without reason.

Tesla can't fix it in AP mode as it impacts Tesla in FSD mode which suits Tesla fine, pay the $10k for $300 in automated driver assistance systems that are standard equipment on many cars, Subaru for example.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Tesla can't fix it in AP mode as it impacts Tesla in FSD mode which suits Tesla fine, pay the $10k for $300 in automated driver assistance systems that are standard equipment on many cars, Subaru for example.

There you go cherry picking things to make your fake statistic again. Your Earth really is flat. You have no clue what your talking about when it comes to AI and Neural Nets.
  • > @HAL2001 said:

> I know there is a rule that lane splitting motorcycles cannot go more than 10 MPH faster than the cars in the adjacent lanes. I wonder if there is a rule for cars. For example 3 lanes in the same direction on a 65 MPH road. Right 2 lanes slow to 25 MPH do you still have the right to drive 65 in the 3rd lane? Common sense says slow down but is there a rule like no faster than 10 + 25 on a non divided lane?

Where do you live? Just curious. In the USA only California allows lane splitting by motorcycles (unless something has changed). But in Ca. the law is mute about it -- so one may do it. There are no 'rules'. You just do it.
  • I am in NJ.

The motorcycle rule I quoted is from Ca motor vehicle regulations. No faster than +10 mph. Can’t find anything about my adjacent lane question for any state.
  • In about 2500 miles of driving I've never had a phantom braking event. But one time, the car did brake sharply when it detected a turkey vulture pecking at some road kill a few hundred feet directly in front of me. Nice to know the car cares about birds.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > I am in NJ.
    >
    > The motorcycle rule I quoted is from Ca motor vehicle regulations. No faster than +10 mph. Can’t find anything about my adjacent lane question for any state.

Thanks HAL. This is the first time I'd heard that Ca had actually recognized m/c lane splitting. I had this dream... that once all cars were running on auto pilot it would finally be safe to go back on the Ca streets with a m/c again. Just a dream.
  • My car is three weeks old and have had a several of sudden breaking events. On one occasion it was an over reaction to a car approaching on an on ramp on my right and a couple of other occasions the cause was more mysterious. These events were mostly during cruise control operation.
  • > @rheisler said:> My car is three weeks old and have had a several of sudden breaking events. On one occasion it was an over reaction to a car approaching on an on ramp on my right and a couple of other occasions the cause was more mysterious."

Fairly typical of the braking issues with Teslas adaptive cruise.
  • I haven't had anything phantom break on the car yet or even break for real. <end spelling rant>. Like a few others, I do "bug report" phantom braking incidents I think might be corner cases Tesla hasn't seen yet. I like my distinctiveness to be added to the Collective.