Model S

Which to buy used - can't decide

Looking at a used 2016 S 90D with 26k miles for $49K and a 2016 S P90D with 73k miles for $47k - same exterior color (midnight silver metallic); the P has tan interior and the other has black interior - WHICH IS THE BETTER ONE TO BUY?????

Comments

• Personally, I think of the two, the 90D is the better bargain if they both were made at the same time. There was a major refresh starting in October-2016, so if one was before and one is after that date, you're comparing different cars, styling, and features and I'd likely go with the refreshed version. If there is a picture, you can tell the refresh from the classic by the black "grill" on the classic. Now on colors, I strongly like the tan interior over the black, but that's my own preference (I have a tan one myself).
  • thanks - they both have the refresh. I'm partial to the tan interior but the miles make me nervous
  • Without details of each car, it is difficult to recommend one over the other. Do both cars have the same features/options? TACC/FSD, Premium Upgrades Package, Premium Sound System, Cold Weather Package....back then there were option packages so you would have to decide which features are more important to you. Also, do both cars have AP1 or AP2? If you're buying from a private party, check if both cars have free unlimited supercharging.
  • Do you need the extra acceleration of the Performance model? The 90D is already so fast. I would personally go with the 90D with the fewer miles. But even that is not so important. The only reason to worry about miles on these cars is the warranty.
  • 90D: vin 5YJSA1E23GF155997...seems to have standard things as i don't see anything "premium" listed but i do know it has air suspension
    P90D: VIN # 5YJSA1E45GF147191...seems to be loaded - premium updgrade pack; cold weather pack; autopilot; ludicrous; air suspension; next gen seats; carbon fiber interior and external wing in back
  • Does anyone "need" the extra acceleration? its more the 'kid in me' looking for the thrill. for warranty - they are both done after 8 years (2024) or 100k miles...so the P90D would be out of warranty in maybe 2 years if we ever get back to working in the office...i like fixing my own cars so would try to do what i could on a Tesla (seems like brakes; door handle issues and the like can be done on your own).
  • thanks both...for features and options - i can't tell specifics...this is what they list for the 90D with 26k miles: ONE OWNER, 2 KEYS, BACK-UP CAMERA, BLUETOOTH CONNECTION, CLIMATE CONTROL, HEATED FRONT SEATS, MULTI-ZONE A/C, NAVIGATION SYSTEM, POWER DRIVER SEAT, POWER PASSENGER SEAT, SUNROOF/MOONROOF, AWD, 118-POINT INSPECTION PROCESS.CARFAX One-Owner. Clean CARFAX. Odometer is 25874 miles below market average! 101/107 City/Highway MPGPriced below KBB Fair Purchase Price!
    As the only true luxury sedan that's an electric vehicle, the 2016 Tesla Model S is unique. It delivers tremendous acceleration, reasonable range, unusual features and more functionality than you might expect. It's Tesla's best offering and deserves your attention if you're shopping for a premium electric vehicle.

Impressive range on higher-end models
    Strong performance across the board from all models
    Advanced technology features that aren't available from other luxury brands
    Abundant cargo space for a sedan
    Available seven-passenger configuration makes it more family-friendly than most luxury sedans
    Free access to Tesla's expanding Supercharger charging station infrastructure
    FEATURES
    One Owner
    AWD
    Back-Up Camera
    Bluetooth Connection
    Climate Control
    Heated Seats
    Multi-Zone A/C
    Navigation System
    Power Driver Seat
    Sunroof/Moonroof
    And this is what i see for the P90D:
    Take a look at this 2016 Midnight Silver Metallic Tesla Model S P90D with Ludicrous Plus, With Tan Next Generation Leather/ Alcantara Interior, A Clean Carfax, and only 72,639 Miles! This vehicle comes equipped with Dual Motor All Wheel Drive, Navigation, Auto Pilot with Convenience Features Incuding Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, Self-Parking, Lane Keeping w/Automatic Steering, Adjustable Air Suspension, Backup Camera, Front and Rear Sensors with Distance Control, Walk Away Door Locks, Panoramic Sunroof, Subzero Weather Package Including Heated Seats, Rear Heated Seats, and Heated Steering Wheel, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls, Exterior Lighting Package with LED Headlights, Premium Interior Lighting, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim and Rear Trunk Spoiler, Red Brake Calipers, Black Alencantara Headliner and Dash, Power Hatch Back, Power Windows, Power Seats, AM/FM Radio, and so much more!
    90D: VIN: 5YJSA1E23GF155997

As the only true luxury sedan that's an electric vehicle, the 2016 Tesla Model S is unique. It delivers tremendous acceleration, reasonable range, unusual features and more functionality than you might expect. It's Tesla's best offering and deserves your attention if you're shopping for a premium electric vehicle.

Impressive range on higher-end models
    Strong performance across the board from all models
    Advanced technology features that aren't available from other luxury brands
    Abundant cargo space for a sedan
    Available seven-passenger configuration makes it more family-friendly than most luxury sedans
    Free access to Tesla's expanding Supercharger charging station infrastructure
    FEATURES
    One Owner
    AWD
    Back-Up Camera
    Bluetooth Connection
    Climate Control
    Heated Seats
    Multi-Zone A/C
    Navigation System
    Power Driver Seat
    Sunroof/Moonroof

P90D: VIN # 5YJSA1E45GF147191
    PREMIUM UPGRADE PACKAGE
    - Alcantara upper dashboard lighted door handles and quick connection phone dock
    HEPA Air Filtration System Include Bioweapon Defense Mode
    One hundred times more effective than premium automotive filters
    removing at least 99.97 percent of particulate exhaust pollution and effectively all allergens
    bacteria and other contaminants from cabin air two activated carbon air purification filters that prevent nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbon exhaust fumes and other offensive odors from entering the cabin
    Three-Position Dynamic LED Turning Lights Automatically adjust the beam of the headlights to improve nighttime driving visibility Electric sensors measure driving speed steering angle and yaw to determine the optimum position of the headlights
    Nappa Leather Amrests & Dashboard
    Alcantara Headliner
    Soft LED Ambient Interior Lighting
    Power Liftgate
    LED Fog & Cornering Lights

SUBZERO WEATHER PACKAGE
    - Heated Steering Wheel
    Front & Rear Seat Heaters
    Wiper Blade Defrosters & Washer Nozzle Heaters

AUTOPILOT CONVENIENCE FEATURES
    - Traffic-Aware Cruise Control
    Self-Parking
    Lane Keeping w/Automatic Steering

LUDICROUS SPEED UPGRADE
    - Ludicous speed decreases the 0-60 mph time to 2.8 seconds w/a quarter mile time of 10.9 seconds

SMART AIR SUSPENSION

ALL GLASS PANORAMIC ROOF

CARBON FIBER SPOILER

NEXT GENERATION SEATS

CARBON FIBER DECOR
  • Are these vehicles for sale by Tesla? Based on the features listed for both vehicles, the P90D has more options. The 90D doesn't even list TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control). It seems that the original owner of the 90D only optioned the sunroof. I think the next step would be to inspect both, drive both, and actually see the differences between them. If I had to choose right now I would take the P90D but it also depends on the condition of the vehicles, does the P90D also have both fobs and the maintenance history for both. Good luck!
  • I know what you mean about wanting the acceleration for the thrill. But these cars are so ridiculously fast in a straight line that it basically doesn’t matter. My non-performance model is so overpowered already that flooring it almost makes me feel nauseous. I would personally not care about a P vs non-P model. I would look at all the other factors. But I get the desire to want the fastest.
  • P doesn't matter buy lower mileage one.