Model 3

Model 3 discharged

My Model 3 was unplugged for a couple weeks, appears to have discharged and now I can't charge it. How do I charge it?

Thank You,

Brandon

Comments

• If you are a do-it-yourselfer, before you contact Tesla Service in your app, you could open the frunk, get access to the little 12V battery, disconnect one terminal, and charge it with a trickle charger. When it's fully charged and reconnected, try your wall charger. The 12V powers your screen and will open the charge flap.
    If you have no home charging, you'll need Tesla to get it going again.
  • What was the state of charge at the beginning of the two-week period? The car shouldn’t lose that much over 2 weeks. If Sentry Mode was on, it would turn off when the SOC goes down to 20%.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > What was the state of charge at the beginning of the two-week period? The car shouldn’t lose that much over 2 weeks. If Sentry Mode was on, it would turn off when the SOC goes down to 20%.

Thanks so much @EVRider and @sheldon_mike! Really appreciate the help!

It was in the low 200s, but not in sentry mode (whoops! Now I know :blush:) My phone says "Waking up", and when I plug in the charging cable it blinks dark blue and then blinks green.
  • You're likely good to go! Blinking green means it's starting to charge.
  • > @sheldon_mike said:
    > You're likely good to go! Blinking green means it's starting to charge.

Hmm, weird. I can't connect from my phone and the display doesn't show anything. I am thinking I might need a service call.

Thanks much for all your help!

Brandon
  • Leave it plugged in overnight, then open door.
    If no screen shows, try 2-button screen reset.
    Yes, you may need to schedule road service thru the app.
  • > @sheldon_mike said:
    > Leave it plugged in overnight, then open door.
    > If no screen shows, try 2-button screen reset.
    > Yes, you may need to schedule road service thru the app.

Thanks so much @sheldon_mike ! That did the trick :smiley:
  • Still don't know why the Model 3 discharged in a couple of weeks. We left our Model 3 unplugged for a month and it only lost about 24 miles (garaged in south FL). Something's not right.
  • I recommend that the OP make a service appointment. As EVRider said, something is not right. Tesla may be able to pull logs over the air and advise what to do next.
  • The OP said it was in the “low 200s”. I’m assuming he meant low 20s, which means the car may have been running the battery heater - not an issue in South FL.

It may be that the battery was never discharged. The car appears like it was charging normally, just the screen wasn’t working. Perhaps the only issue was that the screen locked up, and the two button reset cleared that up. It sounds like the car was working-like he could unlock doors and open the charge port-which would indicate the battery was fine if that’s true.
  • I believe the "low 200s" was the range not the temperature.