Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Sentry Mode

I have owned my Blue 2021 Model 3 for about a month. My car came with a 64gig usb stick. I constantly have to unplug and plug it back in to have the viewer show up on the screen. When I do view it, I see there is about 5 days of events on the stick. Twice now, I have gone to get footage, once after someone tried to break into the car and today after someone hit and ran the front bumper, only to find the stick is completely full and has stopped recording events, two days befor. Both times I needed it to have footage, it has not had it due to being full. Soooooo, I looked through all of the footage on the stick to find that, NO EXAGERATION - 80% of the footage HAS NO MOVEMENT IN IT. Nothing, just the truck parked across the street and my driveway. The sentry mode fills the memory stick with picture after picture of NOTHING. Most of the pictures happen late at night, one after the other, dozens, minutes apart.
I go to my security cameras and look at the same times the sentry has taken pictures, just to see the car flashing its lights at NOTHING, over and over.
I see today there is yet another update, but nothing to improve the flaky sentry mode.
Sorry this is less informative than it is a vent.
I have put a 256 gig stick in the glovebox, but I'll still have to remember to format it every few days.
Be kind with your comments, the damage my Tesla has incurred in one month is more than my piece of [email protected] Dodge grand caravan received in 6 years, I'm still stinging....

Comments

• Sentry Mode doesn’t just save footage that shows activity. When there’s a Sentry Mode event, the last 10 minutes of video are moved to the SentryClips folder, so the event will be in the latest clip, but there might be nothing interesting in the 10 minutes leading up to the event.

Sentry Mode is supposed to overwrite old clips if it needs to. Are you also saving dashcam video in the SavedClips folder?

The newest builds introduced a feature where the last Sentry event is saved in the car’s memory even if you don’t have a USB, and you can download that event to a USB afterwards.
  • > Sentry Mode is supposed to overwrite old clips if it needs to. Are you also saving dashcam video in the SavedClips folder?
    >
    > The newest builds introduced a feature where the last Sentry event is saved in the car’s memory even if you don’t have a USB, and you can download that event to a USB afterwards.

Thanks for your reply, I will investigate the car memory feature more.
    I have not experienced it overwriting, it gives a warning that it is getting full, sometimes, then stops recording. I saw with the last update that it saves to car memory, but when I look for it..... I cannot find it.
    When I removed the full memory stick, it just showed no events, dashcam or other, to look at.
    It is a little frustrating.
  • View the release notes in your car to see how to download the saved Sentry video from the car's memory. I don't recall the exact steps.