Model 3

Autopilot does not recognize traffic lights

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I hope this was not already asked by someone else. I recently got a Model 3 SR+, that comes with the Autopilot as standard (no FSD). I just got the update to 2020.48.35.5 but I have a couple of questions. Is my car supposed to slow down at traffic lights and stop sign, or I need the FSD pack?The only thing I was able to get so far was an alarm sound while approaching a red light. Also I see in the screen that almost every traffic light is grey (no red or green ligt), regardless of the light color at that moment, as if the camera does not recognize it. Is this normal? Sometime I do see the lights color on the screen, but very rarely. I did reboot the system, but I am wondering if is there something else I should do.
Thanks

Comments

• You need FSD for that functionality
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > You need FSD for that functionality

Ah ok. thanks. So with my current optional I only get the alarm if I am about to run a red light or a stop, no slowing down.
  • Correct, without FSD the car will not respond to traffic lights or stop signs
  • And the fact that the majority of the traffic lights on the screen appear greyed is related to this? I have the FSD preview mode selected in the options.
  • > @FrankyMN said:
    > And the fact that the majority of the traffic lights on the screen appear greyed is related to this? I have the FSD preview mode selected in the options.

I wouldn’t expect the color to be dependent on whether you have FSD. Could be a problem with your front cameras — make sure the windshield in front of them is clean. The position of the sun can also impact the cameras.

I’m surprised to hear that you have the FSD preview option without FSD. I assumed that was only available with FSD. Good to know.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > > @FrankyMN said:
    > > And the fact that the majority of the traffic lights on the screen appear greyed is related to this? I have the FSD preview mode selected in the options.
    >
    > I wouldn’t expect the color to be dependent on whether you have FSD. Could be a problem with your front cameras — make sure the windshield in front of them is clean. The position of the sun can also impact the cameras.
    >
    > I’m surprised to hear that you have the FSD preview option without FSD. I assumed that was only available with FSD. Good to know.

Well it is a selectable option in the autopilot menu. What it does I think is only a UI preview of what the screen would show if we had FSD, nothing more. My windshield was replaced due to wind noise. I am not sure if Tesla service did recalibrate the cameras, I can ask. But I this same "problem" even before the windshield replacement. Is not a big deal as I don't have FSD. Thanks for the answers.
  • I have AP only, no FSD, but I have the FSD visualization enabled. The traffic lights show up with the correct color pretty much always, but the vehicle does not slow down for red lights or stop signs; it expects me to do that.
  • > @"Family.Joules" said:
    > I have AP only, no FSD, but I have the FSD visualization enabled. The traffic lights show up with the correct color pretty much always, but the vehicle does not slow down for red lights or stop signs; it expects me to do that.

Thank you. Perfect answer as it gives an exact comparisons between "identical" cars. So I might have (and say might) a little issue then. I have a service appointment already scheduled for other things, I'll ask them about. Thanks again.
  • Now you can re-calibrate the cameras for Autopilot yourself. From the manual: NOTE: If the cameras have moved out of their calibrated position (for example, due to a camera or windshield replacement), the calibration can be cleared by touching Controls > Service > Camera Calibration > Clear Calibration. Once the calibration has been cleared, the self-driving calibration drive must be performed again.
  • Does AP give you the 'chime on green' feature. That is a fantastic feature!
  • If you don't get an answer before April 01, I'd tell you then :wink:. I have free FSD (that I don't use) until then, and I like that feature too. I wouldn't even pay $500 for FSD. AP has all I need, which is auto-steer (when you need to remove a jacket on the highway, etc), summon (not smart summon), if I ever need it, and the green light chime, which hopefully it's part of AP. Played with FSD, and it's FAR from ready IMO. Super jerky, can't turn on streets, still need your hands on the wheel, etc., so just a gimmick IMO.
  • > @elptxjc_98581461 said:
    > If you don't get an answer before April 01, I'd tell you then :wink:. I have free FSD (that I don't use) until then, and I like that feature too. I wouldn't even pay $500 for FSD. AP has all I need, which is auto-steer (when you need to remove a jacket on the highway, etc), summon (not smart summon), if I ever need it, and the green light chime, which hopefully it's part of AP. Played with FSD, and it's FAR from ready IMO. Super jerky, can't turn on streets, still need your hands on the wheel, etc., so just a gimmick IMO.

Wait, I dont have summon in my car, but I have AP. I thought that it was available only with FSD. Also no chime on green either. Am I missing something?
  • > @FrankyMN said:
    > > @elptxjc_98581461 said:
    > > If you don't get an answer before April 01, I'd tell you then :wink:. I have free FSD (that I don't use) until then, and I like that feature too. I wouldn't even pay $500 for FSD. AP has all I need, which is auto-steer (when you need to remove a jacket on the highway, etc), summon (not smart summon), if I ever need it, and the green light chime, which hopefully it's part of AP. Played with FSD, and it's FAR from ready IMO. Super jerky, can't turn on streets, still need your hands on the wheel, etc., so just a gimmick IMO.
    >
    > Wait, I dont have summon in my car, but I have AP. I thought that it was available only with FSD. Also no chime on green either. Am I missing something?

If you read, they have FSD till end of March as part of an end of year sales push. Once they loose the free trial in February they will be just like you with no summon. Summon/Smart Summon is part of the FSD, so as part of the preview of FSD they have it. Come April 01 when their 3 month trial ends then they will be just like you. Thinks they may not realize they will loose are Smart Summon. Ability for the car to change lanes with AP enabled. As well as the ability to stop for Red Lights/Stop Signs with AP enabled.
  • Basic AP is just TACC and Autosteer, no Summon of any kind, no Auto Lane Change. I don’t know if the green light chime is only available with FSD, but someone without FSD (or EAP) can answer that.
  • You need to have FSD to get the green light chime and you also have to enable it in the settings. It's a very cool feature.