General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Sick of Tesla’s stupid charge limits

I have a 60kw Tesla and when you limit my supercharging I get stuck. I’m so sick of this. I’m at the rocklin CA supercharger and I’m trying to get to truckee and it’s says I’ll only have 6% left, in 30 degree weather that means I’m gonna get towed! Stop limiting the Damn 60kw battery cars. Such stupid policy! Had charge limits been a waiver when I got this damn Car I would have stuck with gas! I’m trading this thing in as nobody should control my energy usage and how far I can drive. Geez!

Comments

• Are you talking about the 80% "High Usage Supercharger" limit? If so, just manually over ride the 80% on your Charge Screen.
  • Yeah, I have the same question.

You can still charge to 100%, just have to change the slider after you start charging.
  • RTFM, seriously.
  • Geez, indeed.
  • Get well soon.
  • > @Subvertio said: > I have a 60kw Tesla and when you limit my supercharging I get stuck. I’m so sick of this. I’m at the rocklin CA supercharger and I’m trying to get to truckee and it’s says I’ll only have 6% left, in 30 degree weather that means I’m gonna get towed! Stop limiting the Damn 60kw battery cars. Such stupid policy! Had charge limits been a waiver when I got this damn Car I would have stuck with gas! I’m trading this thing in as nobody should control my energy usage and how far I can drive. Geez!"

The warning message doesn't tell you but you can override the 80% high usage limitation by manually moving slider to higher percentage up to 100% on the charging screen even though it is a high usage charger station.

That you can override it is not at all obvious so don't feel bad about missing it.

For your actual range vs. the battery icon Rated Range, look at the Energy/Consumption graph on 30 mile/Average Consumption. This will show you your Projected Range (actual range based on last 30 miles of driving) and if you'll make the next charger.

With a low range Tesla, you might want to invest in Tesla's Chademo adapter so you can use older 50kW chargers in a pinch.
  • Subvertio
    Joined January 23, 2021

I'm surprised it took the EV superhero a full day to chime in with his faux helpfulness schtick.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > Subvertio
    > Joined January 23, 2021
    >
    > I'm surprised it took the EV superhero a full day to chime in with his faux helpfulness schtick.
    >

He had to come up with innovative bs lie that doesn't look like one.
  • I think he's talking about the FW update that limits the rate of charge in the older 60's and 85's. I have the same thing in my 2012 MS85.
  • @stevenmaifert_12203
    That would not impact arrival SOC.
  • That FW update also reduced the range at 100% charge. He could be complaining about how low his arrival SOC gets between Supercharging stops in a MS60. Who knows; he's not very clear about what his complaint is.
  • > @GHammer said: > If you use this technique, going from Rocklin to Truckee, you will absolutely positively not make it."

There's no "technique" just two numbers you can use to see your range. Rated Range which is EPA range miles test number per kWh times whatever the car sees as current battery capacity. Projected Range is your actual range based on current driving conditions.

If the drive you describe requires some special consideration (hours spent in cold in slow traffic using 4kW/h, 16 miles an hour in a 310 EPA rated Model 3) then by all means take that into account.

Going with the most conservative range number, Projected Range, would be prudent.