Model 3

Walk away lock failure

2021 M3 long range. Took delivery on 01/09/21. Took to SC on 01/16/21 due to steering wheel off center and alignment issues in one week old brand new car! Then took to SC on 01/22/21 due to most likely seat occupancy faulty sensor making the car sense falsely as if someone is sitting inside even after exiting the car resulting in failure of walk away lock feature. SC spent 6 hours to remove the trim/ seat pads and found seat sensor constantly pressed. They just adjusted instead of replacing the sensor and called it a day until issue return. No surprise, issue returned next day with car staying unlocked, HVAC staying on, radio staying on plus drivers side seat belt reminder sign on on touchscreen even after exiting the door as if someone is sitting inside. Being frustrated and annoyed with recurring issues in 2 weeks old car, I emailed to SC supervisor/manager to address this stupid issue awaiting his response. Btw, I don’t have issues with car performance, though I have limited data of only two weeks, but failing sensors and quality issues are quite frustrating and customer services are subpar.

Comments

• so far i've read about zero words relating to the walk away lock feature.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > so far i've read about zero words relating to the walk away lock feature.

I believe they are saying because the car thinks someone is inside it isn’t locking?
  • > @kneught said:
    > > @andy_connor_e said:
    > > so far i've read about zero words relating to the walk away lock feature.
    >
    > I believe they are saying because the car thinks someone is inside it isn’t locking?
    >

Yes that seems to be what they are saying.

They are also complaining about the SC attempting to fix the issue without replacing anything. Annoying when the problem comes back but completely understandable that they don't want to jump to replacing stuff right away.
  • > @Cal123 said: Being frustrated and annoyed with recurring issues in 2 weeks old car, I emailed to SC supervisor/manager to address this stupid issue awaiting his response."

Make another service appointment via the phone. Doubt you will get any communication back from the email and if you do, if it would be more than an acknowledgement.

Just keep making Tesla fix the problem. I had to have the entire driver's seat wiring harness replaced. Mine manifested as "Do not drive car" warnings on the screen...while I'm driving the car. Called Emergency Service and they looked at car, saw the fault, said OK to drive and they made a service appointment for next day to get it fixed.
  • Walk away lock failure with seat belt reminder sign on even after exiting the car mean that car is not turning off effectively as it feels someone is still inside sitting on the seat. You gotta turn off manually via phone app such as climate control, locking car. But stereo will stay on unless you turned off the volume before exiting the car or when Tesla goes to sleep mode.