Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

General maintenance

Hi, I just bought a 2013 Model S60 with 110k miles. My question is: "what kind of general maintenance do I need to take care (such as oil change, tune up with gasoline cars) beside tires and brake". Thanks

Comments

• First, congrats on getting your car.

Do you have the service records for your car? The number one item that you need to verify that was taken care of is the DU (drive unit). The early drive units, more specifically the motor, developed a milling noise. These were replaced under warranty which is 8 yrs/125,000 miles on the S60. You are under the mileage cap, but you will need to look at the driver's side door jam to see what month the car was made because 2021 is the 8yr mark.

Ok, with the scary bit aside and to answer your question, the following is your routine maintenance.

Every 6,250 have your tire tread measured, rotate if needed.
    Every 2 years have brake fluid tested, replace if needed.
    Every 2 years, replace the cabin air filter.
    Every 2 years, have the AC serviced

That's it. BTW, don't worry about the brakes. I am at 186,000 miles on my car and still have the original brakes.
  • Take it to a mechanic who is good with suspension. Have them check all ball joints, control arms, shocks, brakes, etc. In other words all the moving parts that can ware over 110 thousand miles of use. None of these parts or systems are any different than on any other car. Also it might need an alignment. That is all you really need. You can take it to Tesla for all this inspection.
  • Wiper blades and washer fluid.
  • Thanks everyone for very helpful advice> @jordanrichard_629778 said:
    > First, congrats on getting your car.
    >
    > Do you have the service records for your car? The number one item that you need to verify that was taken care of is the DU (drive unit). The early drive units, more specifically the motor, developed a milling noise. These were replaced under warranty which is 8 yrs/125,000 miles on the S60. You are under the mileage cap, but you will need to look at the driver's side door jam to see what month the car was made because 2021 is the 8yr mark.
    >
    > Ok, with the scary bit aside and to answer your question, the following is your routine maintenance.
    >
    > Every 6,250 have your tire tread measured, rotate if needed.
    > Every 2 years have brake fluid tested, replace if needed.
    > Every 2 years, replace the cabin air filter.
    > Every 2 years, have the AC serviced
    >
    > That's it. BTW, don't worry about the brakes. I am at 186,000 miles on my car and still have the original brakes.
    >