Model 3

Lane Assist does not engage

Anyway to get Lane Assist to work, just got car but drove past 100 miles to see if that had any effect, did not. All buttons are on for lane assist and no vibration or wheel turning back to inside lane.

Comments

• I have only owned my M3 single motor range plus for a month. I have noticed the angle you approach the lane lines definitely matters as to lane assist as well as the road markings. Seems it needs to see solid painted road lines to engage, as well as the right approach angle. I have experienced the lane assist engage and at other times that I thought it would have engaged it has not.
    Sorry, not much help from me, but I’m really new to the scene.
    Hope you can love your Tesla as much as I love mine. See fit and finish for my experience with posting here.
  • Are you talking about Lane Departure Warning? Do you have it set to “warning” or “assist”? Are you meeting the conditions described in the owners manual?
  • It works maybe 10% of the time. I’ll get a loud alarm, a gentle tug but mostly nothing. Pattern, if any, is a tug and or alarm first/second time car crosses a line and then nothing. You could roll into oncoming or a ditch and nothing. Had Tesla tech in the car, demonstrated it. He called home and then both techs said “That’s how it works. Within normal limits.”

AutoSteer works well though which means that for some reason (HW? SW?) Tesla has Lane Alert/Assist disabled as standalone assist.
  • Just tried it over a dozen times driving to dinner. Worked every single time. Just need to make sure the conditions outlined in the owners manual are met.
  • Sheesh. FISHY is present. Public Service Announcement:
    FISHEV is a known troll of several years standing and several user names who pushes an anti Tesla narrative. Please take his opinions with a grain of salt, avoid any advice he may suggest, and do not let him implant any Fear, Uncertainty, or Doubt about Tesla or your car into your own opinion.
    The entity definitely goes after newbies.
  • I cannot say how many times I forget to use my blinker when changing lanes and lane keep assist pushes me back. If your settings are correct you may wish to contact Tesla.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said: > Just tried it over a dozen times driving to dinner. Worked every single time. Just need to make sure the conditions outlined in the owners manual are met."

Apparently Tesla has a wide range for "within normal limits". Mine witnessed and verified by Tesla techs in the car and in videos from the car where it works 10% of the time and your anecdotal story of it working 100% of the time in a comment on a post by a new owner of Lane Keeping alert/assist not working....hmm.
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > > @"stingray.don_98527447" said: > Just tried it over a dozen times driving to dinner. Worked every single time. Just need to make sure the conditions outlined in the owners manual are met."
    >
    > Apparently Tesla has a wide range for "within normal limits". Mine witnessed and verified by Tesla techs in the car and in videos from the car where it works 10% of the time and your anecdotal story of it working 100% of the time in a comment on a post by a new owner of Lane Keeping alert/assist not working....hmm.
    >
    >

In your previous post, you didn't say it worked 10% of the time 'for you'. You said it works maybe 10% of the time. Your comment was anecdotal, but you did not disclose that fact and applied your anecdotal experience to the entire fleet. I made it clear that my report was anecdotal. Also, your report was from a long time ago. The feature was hit and miss a year ago for me as well, but has greatly improved since. It now works consistently for me. So your old report is not very relevant to how the system works now.

For the OP, once again have you read the owner's manual and understand the conditions under which the feature is designed to work? Do you have the settings as "warning" or "assist"? We cannot help you if you don't answer basic follow up questions, and it calls into question how serious you are about the issue. Without follow up, we just have to assume that the problem was just a lack of understanding of how the system is designed to work.