General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Gen 3 Wall Charger stops charging due to high temp

I have a Gen 3 Wall Charger. My tesla (Model Y) shuts off with a warning that charging stopped due to high temp detected. The installation was done by an electrician and the wall charger is connected to the 50 amp circuit in a sub-panel. There is nothing else connected during charging. One electrician told me that there should be a "disconnect" installed between the sub-panel and the wall charger. If not done so, then there might be a back-feed to the sub-panel and it would burn down the panel. According to the electrician, not having a "disconnect" is the reason why the circuit is getting hot. The second electrician is saying that you should plug the wall charger in 220V outlet rather than connecting it directly to the breaker. The instructions that came with the wall charger and installation videos do not mention any "disconnect" or "the wall charger should be plugged into 220v outlet"!

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Comments

• first of all fire that electrician that told you there should be a disconnect or anything like that. did your electrician use 6/3 90C wire? 8/3 should work too if you only have a 50A breaker but anything lower gage than 8/3 can cause heat and possibly fire. also make sure you have the amperage set for a 50A not a 60A breaker on the wall charger itself. This should have been done during commissioning but you can log into the charger after and change it. The gen3 wall charger is hardwired right into the panel, NOT plugged into an outlet
  • Both of those electricians are dead wrong, disconnect is not required and would have nothing to do with overheating and the wall connector was designed to be hard wired. The statement "there might be a back-feed to the sub-panel and it would burn down the panel" is nonsense. Three possibilities I can think of.

1. Power connections in the wall connector are not properly tightened.
    2. Undersized wire was used.
    3. Wall connector is malfunctioning and indicating overheat when there is none.

I'm betting on #1.
  • Actually 6/2 wire could be used. 6/3 is hot-hot-neutral-ground while 6/2 is hot-hot-ground. Since the HPWC does not use neutral, running 6/3 is just a waste of money. But 8-gauge wire is not good. If that is what was installed consider setting the HPWC to 40 amps until you get the correct wire installed.
  • 6/3 is recommended for future upgrades so you don't have to rerun the wire, just cap the neutral. the cost difference is pennies so why not....
  • With a Gen. 3 charger Tesla may be able to diagnosis the issue if you’re hooked up to WiFi. Call the solar battery help line, as they also handle the wall units, and they should be able to do a diagnostic.
  • > @mislead said:
    > 6/3 is recommended for future upgrades so you don't have to rerun the wire, just cap the neutral. the cost difference is pennies so why not....

I agree with @mislead if it is pennies on the dollar. My experience is that 6/3 is 33% more that 6/2, so depending on the length it can add up. Certainly look at both options.
  • 50 ft 6/3 for me was $150 retail so at $3/ft then worth the upgrade to save hundreds or thousands later to run new wire
  • https://insideevs.com/news/465305/tesla-gen3-wall-connector-review/

watch this and you will be an expert on tesla wall charger
  • This is a known Firmware issue on the Gen 3 units.

The sensor is misreading the temp and throws a false error.

Tesla will ship you a replacement unit.

877-961-7652

Option 3

Customer service is absolutely fantastic and helped me right away.