General

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Ford Mach e article on charging issues, more work needs to be done.

Here is a link to the article. In a nutshell, frustrated at charge speed, not charging, not connecting, finding a working charger, etc....
We need all EV manufactures to get their charging act together otherwise it will leave a bad taste with consumers.
No question that Tesla Superchargers are the benchmark.
https://apple.news/AFpH_5QHNQI2vIXye0-AQPg

Comments

• Definite not ready for prime time. The least of which being having to take your eyes off the road.

“The Mustang has a built-in mapping system that lists all of the chargers in its FordPass network. It seems to have a real attention problem. If you select a destination for turn-by-turn directions, the marker will randomly disappear from the map while driving, requiring you to constantly re-center on your highlighted route to figure out where you're going.

The way that Ford signposts chargers in its mapping system also leaves something to be desired. On the map, the difference between the chargers that can and can't support fast-charging isn't particularly clear. Looking quickly at these icons, can you spot the fast-charging stations? How about if you were going 65 mph on the highway?“
  • For non-Apple people:

https://www.protocol.com/ford-tesla-mustang-mache
  • Damn! That’s kind of a damning article.
  • This is really fundamental to taking EVs mainstream. I worked for over a year to convince my wife that her next car should be an EV ( I take rail so I don’t count). She panicked if the gas gauge got to less than 40%. I thought the idea of a full charge every morning would sell her on her new M3 AWD LR. It made a dent but didn’t seal the deal.
    What made her not a convert but a zealot was her first long trip from Philadelphia to Virginia Beach to visit her mother. The seamless directions the car gave her to the SC station in Maryland driving through the rural Eastern Shore, the way it told her it was prepping the battery for charging, the way she just had to plug in and not think about how the charger worked - it just did.
    Until this becomes the norm, we’ll never move the masses.
  • Typical of the awful CCS charging systems. It's not ready for prime time. Reliable easy charging is just one of Tesla's huge advantages.
  • > @paridon_98717261 said:
    > Damn! That’s kind of a damning article.

Definetly a “ Ford better get their act together” article at the least.

They did a really pretty decent job on the Mach e for first time try, but man, you can’t screw up the charging.
    That’s like like having a really nice ICE but you have to go to 4 gas stations to find one that works right.
    Fix it Ford, your giving EV’s a bad rap.
  • Not sure there is any way for Ford to fix something out of their control. Options include creating their own charging system like Tesla did, or join the Tesla Supercharger network. Staying with CCS is going to doom their EV efforts like all prior failed CCS based EVs.
  • Someone could probably actually invest money in CCS and make it work. However, it would be a lot cheaper to just invest a little into the Superchargers.
  • If other manufacturers join the Tesla network, I’d actually consider them. Except for GM of course.
  • Or no issues at all.

”Watch Ford Mustang Mach-E Demonstrate Its Plug&Charge Technology”

https://insideevs.com/news/460304/ford-mustang-mach-e-plugcharge/
  • > @paridon_98717261 said:
    > I worked for over a year to convince my wife that her next car should be an EV.
    > I thought the idea of a full charge every morning would sell her on her new M3 AWD LR.

My wife says that her favorite thing about our Model 3 is never having to fill it up with gasoline. She never drives beyond the 80 percent charge that she gets at the house.
  • Jesus fish, how is one trouble free "demonstration" indicative of how the system works day in and day out for people?

Is that how we should demo lane keep?
  • lbowroom,
    I was wondering how many CCS he had to try before finding one that worked smoothly with the Mach e so he could make the video.
    Did anyone noticed that he said in the video that "this may be the very first successful plug n charge that's been recorded".
    I got the impression that even he was a bit surprised that it worked.
    Let's give credit where credit is due, he did mention this is the latest and greatest plug n charge version and the Mach e is the first car capable of using it.
    I hope EA upgrades all their previous CCS chargers to this version so EV adoption can continue to accelerate.
  • Whether you get a Tesla or some other EV, the biggest issue is where to charge the car as quickly as possible. Yes, Tesla is in the lead for now. But for those of us who don't live in urban areas, there is still a shortage of charging options. I recently read that BP has stopped exploring for new oil reserves and is shifting its resources to clean energy ventures. Perhaps they and the other oil giants should consider installing charging stations at their gas stations. Two high speed chargers at each gas station would be a giant step in the right direction and, for the oil companies, an investment in their futures. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
  • Shelburne,
    It has already begun.
    We have Tesla Superchargers (8) at our local Sheetz gas stations where I live(Ohio).
    I was on the road traveling this morning and saw a Sheetz in Cranberry Pa with Tesla Superchargers(8).
    In a Capitolistic society, if there is a need, and money can be made, someone will come up with a way. It just may take a bit of time.
  • Gee looks like it does great.

“Watch Ford Mustang Mach-E Demonstrate Its Plug&Charge Technology“

https://insideevs.com/news/460304/ford-mustang-mach-e-plugcharge/
  • Stop Spamming FishEV. Reported.
  • > @"David N" said:
    > In a Capitolistic society, if there is a need, and money can be made, someone will come up with a way. It just may take a bit of time.

Is Capitolistic society one that is centered on Capitol events? :-p
  • > @FISHEV said:
    > Gee looks like it does great.
    >
    > “Watch Ford Mustang Mach-E Demonstrate Its Plug&Charge Technology“
    >
    > https://insideevs.com/news/460304/ford-mustang-mach-e-plugcharge/

Is this the only example you can find? How many times are you going to re-post the same item?
  • > @Shelburne said:
    > I recently read that BP has stopped exploring for new oil reserves and is shifting its resources to clean energy ventures.

Interesting. It wasn't that long ago that BP was building wind farms, then quit clean energy projects to focus on their oil business.
  • He's going to post that video the same number of times as the number of Mach-E's he claims as being sold then hope that somehow no one catches on.