Model 3

Charging stopped

About every other week my car stops charging after a few minutes and reports error code CP_a057. I charge about every 2 or 3 days. I noticed today before I plugged in the wall charger was flashing red on the "T" at the top. It always starts working again when I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in again. I have checked the connections in the outlet everything is fine. It is a new panel and was installed by a really good licensed electrician. I leave the wall part plugged in inside my garage - always. Could that cause a problem?

It always fixes the problem for a while when I unplug and pug back into the wall.

Comments

• You might want to refer to the manual

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/support/charging/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf
  • Looked up the reference, somebody over at Tesla Motors Club put it up:
    https://teslashareholdersclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3151.
    Short story: Says the fault might be in the TWC or the car.
    Sounds intermittent. I hate intermittents.
    Given that the TWC was flashing red _before_ you plugged it in, sounds like it might be the TWC that's the problem.
    Back when the Gen 3 TWC first hit the market there were a fair number of complaints about bad TWCs and such. My understanding is that Tesla isn't shy about swapping out bad hardware, so calling it in to Tesla (there's a phone number in the TWC manual) might be a good idea.
  • Great that sounds more like it. Everyone kept thinking it was my wall charger, which it could be, but electrical issues do not fix themselves.
  • I received my car in August 2019 so it was when it first hit the market.
  • Yesterday for the first time unplugging it from the wall did not fix the problem. Unplugging it from the car did fix it. When I tried unplugging it from the wall (twice) and plugging it back in I heard a distinct click. It started to charge then click and it stopped click again. Unplug, plug back in and click (starting) then click stopping. The error messages I got in the past on the control panel are in this order:

Unable to charge - mobile connector GFCI tripped UMC_a002

Charging equipment reports error CP_a057

I rare occasion I have charged at superchargers, destination chargers and friends houses (using standard outlet). I have never had an issue. A few months ago we did some work outside where the ground wire for my main panel goes into the ground. We might have disturbed it - could this cause my problem? Everything else in my house works fine.
  • Um. There's a computer board in the TWC that communicates with the Tesla and tells the Tesla what the capacity of the TWC happens to be. In addition, the TWC has a Great Big Contactor (read: relay) that is normally off so the end of the cable doesn't have high voltage on it that would shock someone when it's not in the car. So, the sequence should be:
    1. TWC powered up and the computer board inside is ready and waiting.
    2. Plug cable into the Tesla. TWC and the computer board play patty-cake.
    3. When the TWC and the car are happy:
    4. The car locks the cable so nobody pulls it out and puts their finger in it.
    5. The TWC goes "clunk" as the contactor goes from open to closed, applying 240 VAC to the car.
    6. The car starts rectifying the 240VAC into DC, ramping up as it goes and checking for excessive voltage drops, floating grounds, floating neutrals, etc.
    7. If all the checks and such pass, the current into the car ramps up to whatever the TWC said it could supply/the limits of what the car can accept, whichever is less.
    8. Checking is always running, so if something odd happens, the default is for the TWC to disconnect.

So: Playing around with the TWC while the cable is plugged into the car by unplugging and plugging in the TWC... Well, it's a vague guess that the people who designed the car and TWC probably took people who did that into account. But to me, that sounds a lot like purposely stepping on one's own feet. You might not break the foot and might not fall over, but it doesn't sound wonderful.

Like I said: If the TWC is having fun blinking red _before_ you plug the cable in, then I would suggest that the TWC is probably detecting a fault, locally, either with the on-board computer or the power. I suggested that you snag the TWC manual, either the one you got with the TWC, or, if you tossed it, get one off of Tesla's web site, and _call_ _them_. Something's busted, get it fixed, please.

By the by: I happen to have a Gen 2 TWC. That's worked reliably. In order to set the configuration (how much current, whether there's a second TWC on the circuit, etc.) there are switches inside the TWC that need to be set. I understand that's not the case on the Gen 3 TWC, it's configured through some kind of web interface. I think. Now, I read manuals, especially those involved with high voltage and all that. And, in that manual, complete with a little triangle and exclamation point, it explicitly says not to change those switches while a TWC is powered. Fine. Neither I nor the electricians who installed mine did that.

A co-worker of mine bought a Tesla a few months after I did and decided to go the TWC route. The co-worker hired this electrician to do the work who, for whatever reason, didn't follow that bit of instructions about the switches and set them while the TWC was powered. Without checking, the guy left. He had his money.
    However, the TWC was fried. Could have been the electrician; could have been bad out of the box. My co-worker called the Tesla number in the manual and a live body (!) answered on the second ring. Said body did a bit of remote troubleshooting, agreed that the TWC was a deader, and drop-shipped a replacement TWC on the spot. Three days later the co-worker replaced the deader with the new one and it all worked.
    Morals: At least back in 2019, the people worrying about home charging solutions had their own help telephone line and were pretty blame responsive. And they didn't argue much about why a TWC was dead.
    Call Tesla and quit fooling around on the forums, although I'm sure we around here would like to know the resolutions and any fun and games getting to said resolution.
  • Very good info thank you! I need this to happen again when I have time to trouble shoot.
  • My car was just charging at 30-31 mph. After 9 minutes and adding 3 miles it quit charging. Error message said "Charging equipment reports error" then Unable to charge - Mobile Connector GFCI tripped" Unplug charge handle from charge port and retry.
  • > @dvargo71_98282855 said:
    > My car was just charging at 30-31 mph. After 9 minutes and adding 3 miles it quit charging. Error message said "Charging equipment reports error" then Unable to charge - Mobile Connector GFCI tripped" Unplug charge handle from charge port and retry.

GFCI tripped says it all. Your drawing more power than the GFCI will allow OR the GFCI is old and the tolerances are off. Assuming your using the Tesla Mobile charger which adapter plug are you using? The error message are likely from the GFCI tripping and not a fault in the car or charger.
  • BTW the NEMA 5-20 plug will not charge at 30 MPH so what GFCI setup do you have?
  • My car was just charging at 30-31 mph. After 9 minutes and adding 3 miles it quit charging. Error message said "Charging equipment reports error" then Unable to charge - Mobile Connector GFCI tripped" Unplug charge handle from charge port and retry.
  • Sorry for DP post I got a weird red banner across this thread saying something about "error body"
  • dvargo71_98282855,

Which plug are you using on your TMC?
  • NEMA 14-50 plug. The breaker in my panel has never tripped. No idea if this could affect anything but I always leave my mobile charger plugged into the wall outlet. Also the port that covers the car charging "input" does not shut all the way. I am sure it is getting sprayed with salt water while driving.
  • > @dvargo71_98282855 said:
    > NEMA 14-50 plug. The breaker in my panel has never tripped. No idea if this could affect anything but I always leave my mobile charger plugged into the wall outlet. Also the port that covers the car charging "input" does not shut all the way. I am sure it is getting sprayed with salt water while driving.

I'm not good at these things, but @"TeslaTap.com" is pretty good and has this write up about GFCIs:
    https://teslatap.com/articles/home-charging-wiring-guide/#gfci

It does sound like the GFCI in the mobile connector is the one tripping, so it sounds like it may be the connector itself -- not the car, not the outlet. I saw you'd used it at other locations. Have you used the 14-50 elsewhere, or just the 5-15 (standard outlet)? 2 additional troubleshooting steps if you can -- test the mobile connector on a different 14-50 outlet, and test a different mobile connector on your outlet.
  • I have not used the 14-50 anywhere but my house. Good ideas. I definitely think I hear the breaker tripping inside the mobile connector. Let's see if I can talk my buddy into switching cords:)
  • If you can, do this, to eliminate possibilities 1 at a time: try charging your car at your buddy's house for a few minutes first; that will tell you if it's the car or not. If not, then try your cable in your buddy's house, to know if it's the cable. If not, then you'd know it's your outlet, which is my guess.

I have a 14-50 outlet in my house, and the only error I've had, like on my second charge, was that I didn't push the plug all the way, and started hearing lots of 'clicks', which were followed by a red triangle on the screen, which said plug didn't latch. So I pulled it, pushed it again, this time (and all subsequent others) until I consciously felt it bottomed out, and zero issues ever since. Oh, and I also push the plug in before engaging the button to release the latch, so it doesn't get stuck, like it has happened to many (but not to me).
  • Good idea the problem is usually it only happens 10% of the time so it is likely I will not identify the issue until I try it several times. It has been getting more frequent so hopefully.