Model X

Falcon door sensing objects when nothing is there

I have a 2016 MX and I have noticed that sometimes the falcon wing doors refuse to open. It seems timely about happening when I am while holding my toddler. Once I go into the driver side and check the screen to manual override, it shows red like the sensor is picking up something. Sometimes it never has issues, sometimes it does. Recently I noticed a few times it happens when the door is facing the bright sunlight. I am wondering if the bright sunlight is blinding the camera like AP sometimes does. Any thoughts before taking it in?

Comments

• That happens too often to my 2018 Model X 100D, is that it is detecting a ghost?
  • Could be cameras like ap, yeah. My Model Y says that the camera is blocked when it was facing the sun. Not sure why it thinks so even thought the camera's fine when i check.
  • I had this problem and they replaced a sensor
  • I have a 2016 X and was told this was an issue where the sensor got too hot in the sun and would then not operate correctly. They did replace it and it works 95% of the time now. It still sees ghosts every now and then. The sensor is in the door itself and not at all related to any of the cameras.
  • Its the sensor in the falcon wing , also note when you're standing near the door it also shows the "red" arch . I have had this replaced twice , once the sensor in the door slipped and angled and hence it would not detect things right and second as someone mentioned above its due to the heat and direct sunlight on the door. When the door is cooled it works just fine
  • Hmm . . . ours senses something not there on the passenger side & sunlight nor heat are factors. It isn’t consistent either. The sensor was not replaced as it didn’t exhibit at the service center in Sarasota. 🤷‍♀️
  • > @Nikola_Rocks2 said:
    > Hmm . . . ours senses something not there on the passenger side & sunlight nor heat are factors. It isn’t consistent either. The sensor was not replaced as it didn’t exhibit at the service center in Sarasota. 🤷‍♀️

It’s sensitive to all sorts of stuff, especially the older Xs. As I said, my sensors have been replaced and they still see dead people...
  • You all are the best, thanks for the help and feedback. Makes sense about heat considering we live in Florida and 5 year old sensors. For anyone interested, the SC said pretty much the same thing and quoted $300 to replace the sensor. Only $40 in parts but $260 in labor to take the door apart. Not exorbitant but going to live with Casper for a little longer.
  • Our 2017 MX has this issue when sitting in the sun. It's pretty obvious that the heat is the cause as only the side that has been directly facing the sun has the issue. Once we drive off and it cools down it then works fine again. It usually only happens a couple of times per year.
  • @packpike (and others). What color is your car? It may seem strange, but it could be a factor. For example, a dark color may heat up more than a light color. Just an idea, I don't know if it matters or not.
  • Mine is white.