Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Auto-sensing wipers going nuts!!

I love auto-sensing wipers. However why do mine go crazy full speed when just a little rain is falling. I look like the old fart moron with his wipers on full blast. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity??

Comments

• No, but you can just override it manually
  • Set to manual mode and set to intermittent.
  • I like and use the auto-sensing wipers. Sometimes, when they get started up, they'll do that old-geezer-who-can't-set-things and do double time; but, after a few seconds, the cameras in the windshield realize that Noah's not present and they go back to a more normal cadence.
    However, having said that.. I've seen people driving around with manually controlled wipers who leave them on Low, no matter how much rain is falling, even when it's a downpour. And, yeah, people who leave it on high, old-geezer style. So, individuals' expectations may vary.
    However, the car may be doing its FSD or near approximation thereof bit and _needs_ to see out front. So, in principle, it's objectively measuring the rain spatter on the windshield and setting the wiper speed to something that a $RANDOM individual might not do.
    Another possibility is that the wipers are worn so, while the water on the windshield may be good enough for humans, it might not be so good for the FSD stuff. Same if there's a patch of crud right on top of the cameras: Birds, anybody?
    Usually the complaints around here have been that the wipers _don't_ start up for some reason. A sort-of fix for that went in roughly a year ago, so tapping the button on the end of the left-hand stalk would at least get the software aware that water was present.
    So: Check your windshield and wipers?
  • I got to test the wipers finally, and yeah, the auto feature sucks. It also sucks not having adjustable intermittent levels, like every other car in the world, including Tesla's own Model S/X. Oh well. I had them mostly in the first intermittent level, which was too fast, but it's a PITA to be clicking on the wiper button every second or so. The second intermittent level is almost like the first, so the first should have been slower, and all would have been peachy with me :). But they weren't as bad as I had read. Ha ha.
  • Apart from occasional hyper speeds on auto (I then set to manual and back to auto and it sorts itself), it works very well. No complaints from me.
  • I have to admit the auto wiper is not my favorite feature due to the sometimes too fast, sometimes too slow issues, and the manual override is not ideal either. In this case, replacing a physical control with a software control is not ideal from an ergonomic standpoint. That does not detract from the other 99% of features that I really like about this vehicle.
  • Yes, auto can have a mind of its own with the speed of the wipers. When it goes wild I tap the wiper button on the stalk and it interrupts the auto runaway and many times slows it down and makes it wake up to the slower mode.
  • Mine start working for no reason. Bright sunny day and all of a sudden the wipers (set on auto) start working. The only thing I can do is set the wipers on slow. It drives me nuts because there isn’t an “off” position. After a few minutes the wipers eventually stop working.
  • Next try try voice command. Wipers off
  • > @Scgo4 said:
    > Mine start working for no reason. Bright sunny day and all of a sudden the wipers (set on auto) start working. The only thing I can do is set the wipers on slow. It drives me nuts because there isn’t an “off” position. After a few minutes the wipers eventually stop working.

Actually there is an OFF for the Wipers. Click the Wipers and the go from what ever current mode they are in to off or back to last setting if they are off. Other option as was mentioned you can use voice command "wipers off" as well. One note on the last setting, if you left them off and then turn back on next drive, then they will turn on with intermittent Level 1.
  • The off 'button' is to click on the wiper icon above the speeds when the menu pops up after clicking on the stalk button. Hope this helps.
  • > @FunnyFish said:
    > Next try try voice command. Wipers off

Try=time*
  • > @Scgo4 said: > Mine start working for no reason. Bright sunny day and all of a sudden the wipers (set on auto) start working."

Only started to see that recently. AutoWipers are Beta for Tesla and you can see that each update has an effect, too slow, too fast, looking for the just right bowl of porridge.

Never had them before (unlike adaptive cruise) so have no way to judge whether the functionality of Tesla Autowipers are standard or not. Part of the problem for Tesla is the need to keep windshield clear for the cams and smearing or anything blocking the cams elicits a wipers. I think that's why it's started going off in the sun, the care interprets it as something on the windshield and tries to wipe it away.

Just use it when it works and turn it off and go manual when it has issues.

Wipers would benefit from dedicated physical control and more controls to adjust speed of manual wipers and sensitivity of auto wipers.
  • FishEV aka TrollEV is beta on this forum and have been since 2016.
  • Only rarely do my wipers go crazy in auto mode. When they do, I set them to manual and then go back to auto. That fixes it. Having said that, auto mode on my model 3 is not nearly as good as it was on my 2017 Volvo S60. Tesla could learn a thing or two from Volvo in this regard
  • What Funny Fish said...... use voice commands to your advantage. I’m still learning all it can do by trial and error...... but the wiper one I have dialed in. It is frustrating on auto, but you can voice command the wipers to set to 1,2, or 3. Super simple,fast, and easy.
  • Just clean the window especially at the cameras.
  • > @Scgo4 said:
    > Mine start working for no reason. Bright sunny day and all of a sudden the wipers (set on auto) start working. The only thing I can do is set the wipers on slow. It drives me nuts because there isn’t an “off” position. After a few minutes the wipers eventually stop working.

There is an OFF. All you do is press and hold the wiper icon on the little wiper screen. The blue outline turns to grey and the word OFF is shown. Useful for automatic carwashes too!
  • what's stupid is the auto wipers turn full on while reversing (and it's raining) out of parking spaces...then when moving forward they effing stop. seriously, elon? and they really piss me off at night when visibility is even more limited. they NEVER clear the windshield enough (turn on and wipe) when dark. this shouldn't be this hard.
  • 🥱🙄
  • I never use auto wipers as they still don't work consistently. I use the stalk button to intermittently wipe since there is no adjustable intermittent setting until it gets heavy enough to put it in manual mode.
  • finman...hmmm...fin...hmmm
  • > @finman100_639203 said:
    > what's stupid is the auto wipers turn full on while reversing (and it's raining) out of parking spaces...then when moving forward they effing stop. seriously, elon? and they really piss me off at night when visibility is even more limited. they NEVER clear the windshield enough (turn on and wipe) when dark. this shouldn't be this hard.

I never knew that the Model 3 cleaned the windscreen differently in the dark?! LOL
  • they. don't work. for. me. it's pretty simple.

Everything else is awesome in Model 3 world.

but. auto. wipers. don't. work.
  • Page 60 of the manual states that the Auto Wiper setting is currently in Beta. My experience is that it runs at an appropriate speed about 70% of the time, is too fast about 25% of the time, and is too slow about 5% of the time. I use it anyway, because I don't like fiddling with the screen controls while driving, and I don't particularly like using the voice commands, especially if I have a passenger.
    What I'd like to see is the option to use one of the scroll wheels to adjust the wiper speed up or down, activating this feature for, say, 5 seconds by tapping the washer button on the turn signal stalk.