Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Cracked windshield - Teslas fault!?

My Summon feature was not working on my Model S P100D. I took it to Tesla, they had to replace a bracket on the front camera which is on the windshield.

I haven't driven the car since Friday when I got it back, other than a few minutes here and there. Today I drive to the store, and POP - the windshield just cracks. No rocks, no nothing. Just literally cracks out of the blue.

I'm thinking this could be related.

Comments

• Probably better to talk to Tesla than post here. Good luck!
  • Check the crack near the edge of the windshield closely. Chips can sit there for weeks sometimes and go unnoticed then suddenly start traveling.
    I had a chip go unnoticed for who knows how long. One hot day I get in the car and there’s a 20cm crack! On closer inspection there was an obvious stone chip 2cm from the bottom edge.
    If the crack is perfectly clean, I’d have a chat with them. If the crack originated from the camera area you’d have a stronger case, especially if you can prove the inner see face was damaged.
  • > @gridley1950_98127603 said:
    > Probably better to talk to Tesla than post here. Good luck!

I posted at 8:25 PM eastern, can't really chat with them when they are closed.
  • Some times, you can't even chat with them when they are open!

2 - 4 is the ticket for reaching a live person.
  • It will very difficult to prove that Tesla caused the crack, and chances are they didn’t. Doesn’t your insurance company cover windshield replacement? Most do.
  • > @EVRider said:
    > It will very difficult to prove that Tesla caused the crack, and chances are they didn’t. Doesn’t your insurance company cover windshield replacement? Most do.

Mine does with a $500 deductible. It comes under the comprehensive part of my insurance.
  • How long is the crack? If Tesla won't replace the windshield many insurance policies will pay for a crack repair with no deductible. Cheaper for both the company and the customer than replacing the windshield, especially when replacing the windshield will involve replacing that camera mount.