Model 3

Model 3 Range in Utah

You could have a model 3 standard Plus that is packing around the bt37 (75kw) battery and can only travel 140 miles before going into limp mode in Utah. Tesla needs to use the AI in the vehicle to add range when needed to add up to what we paid for.

Comments

• If you have a Learjet, what are you doing driving around in a Tesla? In related news, I-80 through Utah is mostly 80 MPH, in terms of posted speed limit, which incurs a mileage ding for both electric and ICE vehicles when driving the posted speed limit.
  • Range is determined by testing standards established by the EPA (in the U.S.). The testing uses a combination of city and highway driving. Driving 80 mph will not achieve rated efficiency and range. Use your energy graph and match the rated efficiency and you should achieve very close to the rated range of the car. For me, I can usually achieve rated efficiency during warm and dry weather at around 65 - 70 mph. I'm not sure how AI would increase range.
  • We would need to know a lot more about the conditions before we'd know if the OP really has a problem.
    As pointed out earlier, Interstate speed in Utah is 80 mph but folks often drive faster and there can be serious winds, making effective speed well in excess of 100 mph.
    It can also be very cold in Utah: What was the temperature? Was the battery cold soaked or had it just finished charging. Long trip or a few short trips?
    I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Richfield, UT recently. My M3 LR was at 21F in the morning. I tried to top off at the Supercharger in the morning and only got 9 kW charging speed - this is perfectly normal for those conditions.
    AI would only decrease range (slightly) because of the massive power the computer needs. Unless, of course, it slowed you down.
  • and why go with standard range? go big or go home
  • The trip was from Lehi to Wendover. Battery was fully charged and warm. About a third of the trip is 60mph and the rest we stayed at 78. What I’m trying to get at is why I’m carrying around extra battery weight that I can not use while the vehicle continues to get lower than advertised range. My bolt would go 50 miles further than the model 3 in the worst conditions.
  • > @Learjet74_ said:
    > The trip was from Lehi to Wendover. Battery was fully charged and warm. About a third of the trip is 60mph and the rest we stayed at 78. What I’m trying to get at is why I’m carrying around extra battery weight that I can not use while the vehicle continues to get lower than advertised range. My bolt would go 50 miles further than the model 3 in the worst conditions.

Are you under the impression that you have a 75 kwh battery? That is not the case with the SR+. The SR+ has roughly a 50 kwh battery. The difference between the SR+ and the LR is the battery size and not some software limitation. So you are not carrying around extra battery weight that is not being used.

There are many factors that influence range including speed, headwinds, tire pressure, temperature, use of HVAC, rain, etc. What was the efficiency of your drive (wh/mi)? If you use the energy graph and match the rated efficiency, you should get very close to the rated range.
  • Yes I have confirmed that my vehicle has the 75kw (bt37) battery installed.
  • OP, what was your Wh/mi and what was the outside temp?
  • > @Learjet74_ said:
    > Yes I have confirmed that my vehicle has the 75kw (bt37) battery installed.

Just how did you confirm that? If someone told you that, they are misinformed. The SR+ does not have a 75kwh battery. Only the LR variant has the larger battery. If you have an SR+, then you should have around a 50 kwh battery.
  • APIData AD15,MDL3,PBSB,RENA,BT37,ID3W,RF3G,S3PB,DRLH,DV2W,W39B,APF0,COUS,BC3B,CH07,PC30,FC3P,FG31,GLFR,HL31,HM31,IL31,LTPB,MR31,FM3B,RS3H,SA3P,STCP,SC04,SU3C,T3CA,TW00,TM00,UT3P,WR00,AU3P,APH3,AF00,ZCST,MI00,CDM0
  • That option code is incorrect. You do not have a 75 kwh battery.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/option-codes-for-march-2019-sr-show-hw2-5-75-kwh-battery.148239/

https://www.evspecifications.com/en/model/bbc397
  • I’m sorry but the option code is correct. You can try to spin it however you would like.
  • I suggest you contact Tesla and ask them what size battery you have. All I have read on the web is that the SR and SR+ have around 50kwh batteries.
  • The EPA documentation, as well as every other official document, says differently. The option code is outdated and not meant for public consumption. You can also see the difference in weight recorded in the documentation because of the smaller battery. Weight is what you are concerned about, right? The SR+ is 223 lbs lighter than the LR RWD, which is identical except for the battery. The LR AWD has a dual-motor which adds another 260 lbs. The lighter weight (due to the smaller battery) is also the reason the rated efficiency of the SR+ is better than the other variants (again available at the EPA website).

SR+ 3,582 lbs
    LR RWD 3,805 lbs
    LR AWD 4,065 lbs

https://www.tesla.com/model3
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > The EPA documentation, as well as every other official document, says differently. The option code is outdated and not meant for public consumption. You can also see the difference in weight recorded in the documentation because of the smaller battery. Weight is what you are concerned about, right? The SR+ is 223 lbs lighter than the LR RWD, which is identical except for the battery. The LR AWD has a dual-motor which adds another 260 lbs. The lighter weight (due to the smaller battery) is also the reason the rated efficiency of the SR+ is better than the other variants (again available at the EPA website).
    >
    > SR+ 3,582 lbs
    > LR RWD 3,805 lbs
    > LR AWD 4,065 lbs
    >
    > https://www.tesla.com/model3

You can try to spin it however you would like...and...er...oh, you're right! LOL
  • > @Learjet74_ said:
    > I’m sorry but the option code is correct. You can try to spin it however you would like.

Ok it’s obvious with that comment you are just a troll posting fake news. Welcome to the forum, great first post.
  • Lehi, Utah to to Salt Lake City (Supercharger location) is 28.7 miles.
    Salt Lake City (Supercharger location) to Wendover, Utah is 121 miles.
    Learjet74_ says he can go 140 miles in his Tesla.
    Problem solved. Stop to charge in Salt Lake City.
  • I'd have been great if a 2021 LR RWD was available, but not anymore; if you want LR, it has to be the AWD, so that's what I got. And for cold temperatures and 80+ mph long trips, a LR is the absolute minimum acceptable IMO. We did a long trip not long ago, and we faced brutal winds, which lowered the arrival % by 10, so glad I planned the trip to arrive with 30%, so we had a bit of a safety cushion with 20%. It worked out great, so we mostly charged to 90%, meaning we were using about 60% charge on each 150mile or so leg, so about 2.5 miles per 1% (344 Wh/mi). It should improve as it warms up. And when temps don't require HVAC, I could drop the minimum to maybe 20%. But when too hot or too cold, you want enough cushion to be able to operate HVAC in case you get stuck with an accident or something.
  • > @in7_98388832 said:
    > Lehi, Utah to to Salt Lake City (Supercharger location) is 28.7 miles.
    > Salt Lake City (Supercharger location) to Wendover, Utah is 121 miles.
    > Learjet74_ says he can go 140 miles in his Tesla.
    > Problem solved. Stop to charge in Salt Lake City.

Toelle, would probably be a better option as you'd be farther down on charge from leaving Lehi.
    For the OP: there are 3 good options to make your trip easy.
    Some day, I'll relate my trip from SLC (Dugway, actually) to Palo Alto in a Roadster back in 2009. That was a challenge.
  • Here is a nice 2000 mile cold/warm weather comparison video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UskzfQJt2Bc
  • Thanks for all the input. I can’t wait for my aptera to arrive later this year. My time is very valuable to me and not having to play anymore guessing games is very important to me and I would guess most other ev owners.
  • @Learjet74_ ,
    I hope you have a backup plan for that Aptera. While I would love to get one as well, I've been waiting for about 14 years for one.
    With EVs, promises tend to be very cheap and seldom realized. Tesla has pretty much been the only thing that came through as promised and even Tesla's promises are usually a bit later than originally estimated.
  • > @Learjet74_ said:
    > Thanks for all the input. I can’t wait for my aptera to arrive later this year. My time is very valuable to me and not having to play anymore guessing games is very important to me and I would guess most other ev owners.

I think most other EV owners understand how to operate their vehicles in colder climates and are aware of the drawbacks for all EVs in these environments. Certainly no guesswork involved for me. Very simple to understand. Regarding the Aptera...good luck with getting that in 2021! My money is on 2023/4 at the earliest.
  • FYI The Aptera is not a Car its a Motorcycle. Therefor the safety requirements are not as strict as cars.
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > FYI The Aptera is not a Car its a Motorcycle. Therefor the safety requirements are not as strict as cars.

Is the OP 'comparing' a 3 wheeler cycle to a Model 3??? I believe there will be a LOT more guessing in that thing than in a Tesla! First guess has to be, when will it be delivered? The site says they will 'let people know in 2021 about delivery'...doesn't sound promising to me!