General

Chamath for Governor of California

Good friend of Elon Musk, Warriors owner, and early TSLA investor, Chamath Palihapatiya is running to replace soon to be recalled Democratic governor Gavin Newsom after dining indoor during a pandemic.

My local paper: https://www.dailybreeze.com/2021/01/24/case-for-a-newsom-recall-continues-to-grow

https://recallgavin2020.com/

California’s independent streak is alive and Chamath’s platform is as follows:

0% State Tax - “We can cut taxes to 0% from 16% and drive growth which will increase the state's revenue from $15B to $30B.”

$70,000 Teacher Salary - “Our most valuable resource is education. Teachers deserve a minimum of $70k to educate our future”

Global Center for Tech & Climate Jobs - “Technological innovation is crucial to creating change. Let's make California the global center of all tech & climate jobs by realigning our incentives rather than pushing them away.”

Free School Vouchers - “I'll give students a free voucher to pick any school they want to attend.
Education is a human right in the U.S. and our children should be able to choose where they receive it.”

No Student Loans - “We have over 1.6 TRILLION dollars of student debt. The ISA model realigns the incentives of universities & students. CA will guarantee ISAs so you don’t have to get student loans ever again.”

$2,000 for Every New Child Born in CA -“If we want California to remain as the technological hub of the world, we have to encourage more people to settle down & live here.”

https://www.chamathforca.com/

+++

When viewed through the lens of whether something will accelerate the advent of sustainable energy, my vote as a California citizen will be to recall Gavin Newsom and I am supporting, Chamath for Governor.

Comments

• More news sources beyond my local paper’s opinion piece from anti tax org.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/25/politics/gavin-newsom-recall-covid-restrictions/index.html

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2021/01/25/governor-newsom-stay-home-order-recall-critics/

https://www.vox.com/recode/22245414/gavin-newsom-recall-silicon-valley-money
  • The logic of that trade-off, though, has been tested in recent months by the rampant spread of the disease in the state, especially in the Los Angeles area. California has also had one of the country’s worst records when it comes to distributing the vaccine at a time when experts say too many states are moving too slowly. Newsom’s credibility was also damaged by a visit to an exclusive Napa Valley restaurant in November that undercut his own rhetoric about staying at home.

“We have now created an inhospitable culture for innovation,” Palihapitiya said on his podcast last week. “I think he should get recalled. He’s trash.”

The real test will be whether these leaders dig deep rather than merely use their platforms to speak out. Palihapitiya, the former Facebook executive, has tweeted a link to the Rescue California committee but didn’t return requests for comment about whether he planned to pledge money to the effort. Dunsmore said she hadn’t heard from Palihapitiya — or even of him, despite him being a major Democratic donor, which speaks to the recall’s uphill climb. Palihapitiya contributed more than $1 million to back Democrats during the 2020 campaign.
  • I am in favor of higher teacher salaries, been saying this for years.
    Incentives to have babies, no way Jose.
  • > @"Magic 8 Ball" said:
    > I am in favor of higher teacher salaries, been saying this for years.
    > Incentives to have babies, no way Jose.

Let me guess… You are outside of your prime reproductive years by about 20 ... no ... make that 30 years.

California’s biggest risk his people leaving the state. Humanities biggest risk is reducing population growth. Malthus didn’t understand birth control.
  • Been hearing the people leaving CA myth for years. Homes are selling like hotcakes and going up every year. We prosper by attracting the best and brightest from around the globe and they have babies here, no other incentive required. Your guy here is a furener.
  • Reducing = negative
  • For everyone leaving the state 10 are standing in line to move in.

"According to estimates by the California Department of Finance, California's population grew by 7.3% (or 2.7 million) from 2010 to the end of 2019; this rate is only slightly higher than the national rate of 6.3%. International migration to California has remained strong, with a net inflow of 1.5 million."

https://www.ppic.org/publication/californias-population/#:~:text=According%20to%20estimates%20by%20the,net%20inflow%20of%201.5%20million.
  • Internal growth not immigration to the state. Outflows ~=growth but departures are accelerating with new data

Receipts:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-12-21/california-population-continues-to-decline-with-state-emigration-a-major-factor

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/16/californias-growth-rate-at-record-low-as-more-people-leave.html#:~:text=Officially%2C%20California%20added%2021%2C200%20people,the%20most%20of%20any%20state.
  • We can't live within a pyramid scheme forever. Fly over country is wide open and ready for more people, CA natural resources and infrastructure is getting maxed out. Not sure why home grown would be any better than immigration to satisfy the prime directive of people staying???

Case in point: Neighbor and wife came from Iran. She a medical researcher and he a math brainiac working for Tesla. While living here they made a couple of babies. They recently moved and upgraded to a bigger better home nearby.
    > We can't live within a pyramid scheme forever. Fly over country is wide open and ready for more people, CA natural resources and infrastructure is getting maxed out. Not sure why home grown would be any better than immigration to satisfy the prime directive of people staying???
    >
    > Case in point: Neighbor and wife came from Iran. She a medical researcher and he a math brainiac working for Tesla. While living here they made a couple of babies. They recently moved and upgraded to a bigger better home nearby.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/anecdotal
  • A governor with dual citizenship... Which country would he serve?
    > Right your opinion is better than everyone else's opinion, a theme, I get it.

Your logical fallacy is anecdotal
    You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.
    It's often much easier for people to believe someone's testimony as opposed to understanding complex data and variation across a continuum. Quantitative scientific measures are almost always more accurate than personal perceptions and experiences, but our inclination is to believe that which is tangible to us, and/or the word of someone we trust over a more 'abstract' statistical reality.
  • > @SamO said:
    > Your logical fallacy is anecdotal
    > You used a personal experience or an isolated example instead of a sound argument or compelling evidence.
    > It's often much easier for people to believe someone's testimony as opposed to understanding complex data and variation across a continuum. Quantitative scientific measures are almost always more accurate than personal perceptions and experiences, but our inclination is to believe that which is tangible to us, and/or the word of someone we trust over a more 'abstract' statistical reality.
    >

But all you have really presented are opinions based on what: A pompous higher level of understanding? I am also an immigrant to the USA ultimately settling in CA and know many others. I also have "friends" that moved out of state. I consider my immigrant friends to be a trade up to the ones that left.

You have not made one compelling argument to say why growth by immigration is worse than growth by paying locals to have babies? You seem to be concern trolling which, ironically, is a term I learned from you.
  • Bless your heart.
  • Oh gosh. A wannabe politician with promises but zero plan on how, for example, to have 0 California Taxes. Note he does not say INCOME taxes, he says taxes.

Let's start there, @SamO. What's the plan for zero taxes?
  • He’s got my vote and I don’t even live in California.
  • > @rxlawdude said:
    > Oh gosh. A wannabe politician with promises but zero plan on how, for example, to have 0 California Taxes. Note he does not say INCOME taxes, he says taxes.
    >
    > Let's start there, @SamO. What's the plan for zero taxes?

Go ask Chamath.

But, If it were up to me, I’d institute fair market carbon taxes as an income tax replacement. Starting at $60/ton and increasing every year. I’d increase taxes on every unpriced externality and remove all taxes that are a penalty on a good.

So income taxes are gone but I’d also suggest a rebate to low income Californians for carbon taxes for a transition period of a number of years.
  • More people in California?hope they bring their own water

Hope they like more gridlock,
    Lots of people now can’t go anywhere, land locked by traffic, rush hour is all day now.

Bring a few recyclable bags of money

Water is the problem in California, has been for decades

California Needs an effective RainDance more than anything

Will more people make the drought worse? I think so
  • > @blkice said:
    > More people in California?hope they bring their own water
    >
    > Hope they like more gridlock,
    > Lots of people now can’t go anywhere, land locked by traffic, rush hour is all day now.
    >
    > Bring a few recyclable bags of money
    >
    > Water is the problem in California, has been for decades
    >
    > California Needs an effective RainDance more than anything
    >
    > Will more people make the drought worse? I think so

First principles says there is more than enough water for millions of more Californians with access to the Pacific, nearly unlimited solar power and desalinization.

https://www.waterworld.com/international/desalination/article/16200672/seawater-desalination-gains-momentum-in-california#:~:text=The%20California%20desalination%20initiative%20is,new%20drinking%20water%20by%202030.
  • > @SamO said:> 0% State Tax - “We can cut taxes to 0% from 16% and drive growth which will increase the state's revenue from $15B to $30B.”

So major league nut case economics we haven’t seen since Reagan ran up trillions in CA and then US debt with the same Laffer Curve nonsense.
  • and dont frget "trickle down" from the "job creators"
  • > @SamO said:
    > > @rxlawdude said:
    > > Oh gosh. A wannabe politician with promises but zero plan on how, for example, to have 0 California Taxes. Note he does not say INCOME taxes, he says taxes.
    > >
    > > Let's start there, @SamO. What's the plan for zero taxes?
    >
    > Go ask Chamath.

Respectfully, why would you support someone when you don't know how they are proposing to accomplish their goal?
  • > @SamO said:
    > > @blkice said:
    > > More people in California?hope they bring their own water
    > >
    > > Hope they like more gridlock,
    > > Lots of people now can’t go anywhere, land locked by traffic, rush hour is all day now.
    > >
    > > Bring a few recyclable bags of money
    > >
    > > Water is the problem in California, has been for decades
    > >
    > > California Needs an effective RainDance more than anything
    > >
    > > Will more people make the drought worse? I think so
    >
    > First principles says there is more than enough water for millions of more Californians with access to the Pacific, nearly unlimited solar power and desalinization.
    >

When that happens it will open a lot of doors and will have benefits that we can’t predict BUT until we at least have a supportive government plan more people are not the answer for California, imho
    Wish I didn’t feel this way however