Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

anyone actually like the 3 chrismas update?

I took my 3 on a milk run last night, and still pretty much hate the Christmas update with putting important driving icons on extreme left and REDUCING size of them about 50% besides. I am trying to adopt an 8 and 4 hands position to enable seeing them... but now I am forced to view them from the bottom of my bifocals requiring an awkward tilting of my head. Another biggie is the grayed out battery which by itself would be enough to drop the vehicle from purchase consideration, an all electric vehicle with purposeful hiding of your juice level is insane!

Comments

• yep i like it
  • For me: It’s more that I got used to it. Like the last version. I can still see the stuff though my eyes are mid-50s, it’s still visible to me for now. I assume more tweaks to come that will improve.
  • How many threads are we up to now on this topic? Elon has already stated that the UI will be configurable in an upcoming update. No sense in continuing to beat the dead horse.
  • I'm more or less indifferent. I did prefer the original, but I'm doing fine with the update. If/when the option to select the view is given, I'm probably inclined to go to the older style because I liked the use of space better, but both are plenty functional for me.

That said, I'm curious how a change in color constitutes "hiding" your charge level? It still goes yellow then red when you reach those thresholds (~20% and ~5%, respectively), and it's very difficult to tell what the level is outside of that whether it's green or grey -- and there's a number value right beside it that didn't change.
  • What are the important driving icons that you cant see now? I can see them all driving with hands at 10 and 2. I don't follow your comment about the battery being hidden? All that happened is the color green was changed for gray...?
  • It is just different, not really better or worse.
  • A thread a day is fine by me. A promise from Mr. Musk means nothing until it’s on my screen. The update may work for the FSD crowd but for me a huge waste of screen space.
  • > @"Joe M" said:
    > A thread a day is fine by me. A promise from Mr. Musk means nothing until it’s on my screen. The update may work for the FSD crowd but for me a huge waste of screen space.

If people's #1 issue is a couple GUI enhancements. They must be doing something really right!
  • Car is excellent overall. I do have two others but the fans would go nuts so I defer.
  • Sure... I kinda like that they've moved closer to the left. Unconcerned about the colour of the battery meter as I don't look at it much while in motion. And I'm not trying to count the pixels on the battery meter, I'm looking at the number next to it.
  • Except for a couple people, I do not think anyone here is over the top in love. I post negative things all the time as does Andy and other people deemed "fans".

If you have issues and you explain them. no one goes nuts.
    Example: "I am not happy with the new GUI, here is why" or "My cameras are becoming unavailable, here is when it happens and what I have observed"

It is when people get all crazy and make hysterical headlines and crazy sensationalistic claims.
    Example "They made the P in the new GUI much smaller, this is a safety issue for me family" or "My cameras are unavailable, tesla will never have FSD"
  • I prefer the original ui, but free Cat Quest is enough of a bribe to make me look over it.
  • What I really like is that turn directions show up on the left half of the screen when you have apps other than navigation on the right half.
    Definitely a real, meaningful improvement.
  • > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > What I really like is that turn directions show up on the left half of the screen when you have apps other than navigation on the right half.
    > Definitely a real, meaningful improvement.

This made TeslaWaze much more useful IMO. I can now have it up and still get directions.
  • I like the new layout better, yes.
  • Elon Musk likes it. :wink:
  • Nope, don't like the new layout, but for different reasons than the ones you listed.
  • There's a reason most people name their cars. It's because we form a bond with them. So, when we get so used to a thing one way for so long, for it to undergo a big might be difficult for the owner. That said, it took me a little getting used to but every time I start to think about it I remind myself of all the other things in this world that need my attention instead. If I have any specific notes about things I think they can improve I would either email Tesla or tweet to Elon. But in general, I'm cool with it.
  • edited January 26
    > @"Earl and Nagin 08 RDS 359" said:
    > What I really like is that turn directions show up on the left half of the screen when you have apps other than navigation on the right half.
    > Definitely a real, meaningful improvement.

+1 I use this feature. I often have energy screen up so good to be able to still see directions.
  • Not a fan.
    As a UX/UI designer, I feel the majority of the UI is too much of a study. I (as well as passengers) have asked “what’s On and what’s Off in the UI.
    The latest configuration simply pushes everything to the peripheral.
    I have more problems with the software itself. I have to force a reboot to get road details to show on screen, and once I do THAT, the radio/music interface is locked below the “dock space” and will not slide up to control.
    It feels super half baked and has eroded my trust with the car’s control.
  • > @"yudansha™" said:
    > Elon Musk likes it. :wink:

Thanks for the great insight :yawn:
  • give me back my "classic" look. this update is the stupidest yet from Tesla. changing things just to say we changed things. good grief. improvement? not even close.
  • > @finman100_639203 said:
    > give me back my "classic" look. this update is the stupidest yet from Tesla. changing things just to say we changed things. good grief. improvement? not even close.

It’s already been stated that the changes are probably to support The city streets update. They did not just change it because they were board.
  • I didn’t realize they made Tesla Waze useful. Last I checked it was not interactive. Now you can report ?
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @finman100_639203 said:
    > > give me back my "classic" look. this update is the stupidest yet from Tesla. changing things just to say we changed things. good grief. improvement? not even close.
    >
    > It’s already been stated that the changes are probably to support The city streets update. They did not just change it because they were board.

Where did Tesla say they changed things just to say they changed things? Please post your source for this. Thanks