Model 3

Drained miles overnight

My model 3 is draining 18(!) miles overnight, Sentry is off and no scheduled department. i'm in California so no extreme weather is an issue.
Any advise?
Moe

Comments

• Summon Standby? Are you using a 3rd Party App?
  • In addition to sentry mode, turn off summon standby. Do not check the car via the app. Lastly, if you have a weak WiFi and/or LTE signal, the car may keep trying to connect and failing, which may cause the car not to sleep.
  • Are you in a situation where you can plug it in every night? If so, do that.
  • Something definitely sounds wrong; I lose less than that half that while parked all day with sentry on in freezing temps at the ski resort while I rip laps past FISHEV struggling on the magic carpet.
  • My 2021 LR loses about 1% every day, with the garage around 50F. Everything off, and obviously that happens when not connected. I charge it to 70, and leave it disconnected until 50%, so plug it about every 3 days. Read that was best for the battery, and since we don't drive much, it works fine for us. When traveling, we don't do that, of course.
  • > @elptxjc_98581461 said:
    > My 2021 LR loses about 1% every day, with the garage around 50F. Everything off, and obviously that happens when not connected. I charge it to 70, and leave it disconnected until 50%, so plug it about every 3 days. Read that was best for the battery, and since we don't drive much, it works fine for us. When traveling, we don't do that, of course.

The best for battery health is to leave it plugged in whenever possible. Just like it says in the owners manual.
  • @"stingray.don_98527447" That's part of the PR line. You forgot about the charge to 90% and "set it and forget it". Nothing wrong per se with that and I am not going to specifically discourage anyone from following it, but from a technical standpoint a lower high end is better for the battery, and waiting a few days before charging again MIGHT be better for calibration.

@elptxjc_98581461 What you are doing is just fine and is technically better for the battery than Tesla's PR line. If that is working for you then great. That is actually what I do, or did when I was driving to work every day. Now I just leave it unplugged for the most part. Don't sweat much for any variation compared to what you are doing, the battery and BMS are very robust and unless you are working at the extremes(0% or 100%) it's going to be pretty hard to noticeably hurt the battery much.

And with not having it plugged in every day, you are probably helping the BMS maintain its calibration better.
  • > @derotam said:
    > @"stingray.don_98527447" That's part of the PR line. You forgot about the charge to 90% and "set it and forget it". Nothing wrong per se with that and I am not going to specifically discourage anyone from following it, but from a technical standpoint a lower high end is better for the battery, and waiting a few days before charging again MIGHT be better for calibration.
    >
    > @elptxjc_98581461 What you are doing is just fine and is technically better for the battery than Tesla's PR line. If that is working for you then great. That is actually what I do, or did when I was driving to work every day. Now I just leave it unplugged for the most part. Don't sweat much for any variation compared to what you are doing, the battery and BMS are very robust and unless you are working at the extremes(0% or 100%) it's going to be pretty hard to noticeably hurt the battery much.
    >
    > And with not having it plugged in every day, you are probably helping the BMS maintain its calibration better.
    >
    >

Agreed on the 90%. I keep mine set at 70% and leave it plugged in all the time. You are correct that charging in a narrow range of SOC may cause the battery meter estimate to become less accurate. However, deeper charge cycles do create more stress on the battery. I will accept a less accurate battery estimate for the best battery longevity. I can always recalibrate if the estimate it gets too wonky.
  • > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > Agreed on the 90%. I keep mine set at 70% and leave it plugged in all the time. You are correct that charging in a narrow range of SOC may cause the battery meter estimate to become less accurate. However, deeper charge cycles do create more stress on the battery. I will accept a less accurate battery estimate for the best battery longevity. I can always recalibrate if the estimate it gets too wonky.
    >

We are going to start arguing increasingly minor things here...haha. I would argue that a "deeper" charge cycle of 30%-70% is not really that much worse than say 50-70 or 60-70. :)
  • I live in chilly New England. Over the past 48 hours, with the temp no higher than 28 degrees and the car parked outside in the snow I have lost 5 miles of charge. So, I think you should contact Tesla
  • > @derotam said:
    > > @"stingray.don_98527447" said:
    > > Agreed on the 90%. I keep mine set at 70% and leave it plugged in all the time. You are correct that charging in a narrow range of SOC may cause the battery meter estimate to become less accurate. However, deeper charge cycles do create more stress on the battery. I will accept a less accurate battery estimate for the best battery longevity. I can always recalibrate if the estimate it gets too wonky.
    > >
    >
    > We are going to start arguing increasingly minor things here...haha. I would argue that a "deeper" charge cycle of 30%-70% is not really that much worse than say 50-70 or 60-70. :)
    >

Agree entirely. The difference is likely negligible. I prefer just to maintain 70% for optimal battery health. However, nothing wrong with 30% - 70%.
  • I've made sure to turn off the sentry mode and there were "only" 2 miles lost during night. however, its on about 20% now and I'm not sure its not the 20% saving mode that disconnect all consuming activities. I'll charge tonight and see tomorrow night for the drop.
  • I turned sentry mode on, with home 'excepted', and 2nd home set as 'favorite', so also excepted by checking 'favorites', and the darn thing was not recording, but the dot was still red, and the car didn't stop making noise (didn't go to sleep mode), so turned it off again, and will only click on it if we want to turn it on. It works perfectly that way. I'm just curious if it's normal behavior. I was assuming having home excepted, it should be like if it was off, but apparently not... and I have the latest 35.5 software update.

By the way, the car still uses about 1% every full day when not plugged in (it is plugged right now), even with the garage is in the high 40s (not 50). Seems normal to me, based on other comments, since it's about 2.5 to 3 miles per day equivalent.
  • > @elptxjc_98581461 said:
    > I turned sentry mode on, with home 'excepted', and 2nd home set as 'favorite', so also excepted by checking 'favorites', and the darn thing was not recording, but the dot was still red, and the car didn't stop making noise (didn't go to sleep mode), so turned it off again, and will only click on it if we want to turn it on. It works perfectly that way. I'm just curious if it's normal behavior. I was assuming having home excepted, it should be like if it was off, but apparently not... and I have the latest 35.5 software update.
    >
    > By the way, the car still uses about 1% every full day when not plugged in (it is plugged right now), even with the garage is in the high 40s (not 50). Seems normal to me, based on other comments, since it's about 2.5 to 3 miles per day equivalent.

Just for clarification... Sentry is a separate icon than Dashcam, so you can still see a red dot for the dashcam when sentry is OFF.

Also you say the car didn't stop making noise...how long of a time frame did you monitor it and in what circumstance? If it was right after your drive, then the car may still be doing some coolant pumping and fan usage for a while(15-30 minutes possibly).
  • The Sentry Mode icon is the round one. If it has a red dot, Sentry Mode is enabled, otherwise it isn’t. You can also check the app to see if Sentry Mode is enabled.

The Home and Favorite locations are based on an address. Some people have found that their address is not mapped correctly by Google Maps, which would interfere with the location-based settings.
  • edited January 29
    OP with 1% loss it seems like your initial drain problem has been solved then?