General

Warm Cabin = Warm Battery?

Does the battery preheat for driving when I heat the cabin for 15 minutes before leaving in the morning?

Or should I also push “start” on the app?

Comments

  • Warm battery takes around 1h if freezing cold
  • Unless you have energy savings on. You can see the battery warming icon on your phone app if it's on.
  • Pushing "start" on the app has nothing to do with heating the battery. If you push Start, you have 2 mins to get into the car and press the brake.

    There are two ways for the battery to heat up. Charging it and the BMS turning on the battery heater. You have no control over the battery heater. As Bighorn said, if you see the battery symbol on the app, on the Climate "page", that means the battery heater is on.
  • No. I’ll have cold soaked batt in AM and preheat car and have heat at 72 for 50 miles and still have a cold batt and less regen when I get to work in 40F.

    Only way to actively heat battery is trick the car into thinking it is naving to a Tesla charger and then it will turn on Preconditioning which will heat battery.
  • Complete bs from known trollEV.
  • What part of Fishy’s statement is bs, FunnyFish?
  • i have to agree
    on this
    fish isnt being a bottom feeder
  • I preheat my battery all the time by turning on the cabin heat from my app. Had full regen from the get go. That’s why fish is full of it. The lies or stupidity of not knowing basic facts.
  • > @Bighorn said:
    > I preheat my battery all the time by turning on the cabin heat from my app. Had full regen from the get go. That’s why fish is full of it. The lies or stupidity of not knowing basic facts.

    Agreed. This was hashed out in pretty deep detail after they updated the app in 2019.
  • Fish, are you still plugged into your charger while you preheat?
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > Fish, are you still plugged into your charger while you preheat?

    He doesn't have one remember. Or it least he claims so.
  • Reddit Fish says otherwise. Six stalls on his government compound.
  • I posted the OP because it seems that my regenerative braking does not kick in despite preheating the cabin for 20 minutes.

    I haven’t checked weather this happens while the vehicle is hooked up to the charger, or when it was not hooked up to the charger overnight.

    But it seems there is some opinion that heating the cabin will heat the battery too.

    I believe the manual recommends preheating the cabin for 30-40 minutes, which is a length of time I haven’t tried yet.
  • Depends on how cold soaked the battery is. If you’re parked outside in sub freezing weather overnight, heating could take far longer.
  • > @Mayerson said: > But it seems there is some opinion that heating the cabin will heat the battery too.”

    The cabin heat will heat everything around it from doors to windows to the battery under the floor but it is not actively heating the battery the way preconditioning does.

    Battery is a big cold lump of metal when left out which is why even an hour run at 70 mph with the cabin 72, I’ll still have limited regen when I get to work.

    Be nice if Tesla had that feature like rear window defrost but battery heating. You turn it on and it times out after 15 minutes but actively heats the battery.
  • Fish, RTFRN.

    “ Scheduled Departure can now precondition your battery and cabin even when your car is unplugged. To account for different utility rate plans, you can now set the time when your off-peak rates end...”
  • Breathing in the cabin heats the battery too. /s
  • Unless you have gills and your body temperature is "cold and clammy".
  • cold hands
    Warm heart
  • > @Spuzzz said: > “ Scheduled Departure can now precondition your battery and cabin even when your car is unplugged.”

    But no active battery preconditioning as you get with navigating to Tesla charger.

    Just the warm cabin warming up other parts of the car passively.
  • edited January 28
    > @FISHEV said:
    > > @Spuzzz said: > “ Scheduled Departure can now precondition your battery and cabin even when your car is unplugged.”
    >
    > But no active battery preconditioning as you get with navigating to Tesla charger.
    >
    > Just the warm cabin warming up other parts of the car passively.
    >

    Nope, if the battery is cold enough the car will actively warm the battery during a scheduled departure trigger, while unplugged.

    At least it does on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3
  • He definitely doesn’t own one with this misapprehension.
  • He is an idiot. I knew to believe his Granny.
Sign In or Register to comment.