Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Performance vs AWD

I am seriously considering trading my 2018 LR RWD in for a 2021 version of one of these two. I don't quite get why there's an almost 40 mile difference in EPA range between the 2...I guess the theory that the AWD was software limited must be bunk...I mean I know the 20" tires must take some range away, but certainly not 40 miles.

I want that performance experience. I want that car with absolutely no regrets. I want to own a super car before I am too old to enjoy one. But paying significantly more money for >10% less range and from what I hear a rougher, louder ride is a hard pill to swallow. Who can weigh in on this? (I love the idea of the P3- but I don't think they offer this at any discount anymore. Should I pay the full performance price and forego the special tires and brakes?)

Comments

• Many of us ponder the same question, but the range difference alone (whatever the reason is), was a deal-breaker for me, not to mention having to pay several thousand dollars extra, having summer tires (another deal-breaker), and rougher and noisier ride. The AWD is basically the same car, so zero regrets for me. I was thinking of maybe adding the $2K performance upgrade if needed (3.7 vs 4.2 0-60), but it's not needed at all IMO. Test-drive both, and decide for yourself if the trade-offs are worth it. And also keep in mind the EPA range is a 'Disneyland' range you'd never achieve; you need to calculate the real range for you. I'd have never bought an EV with less range than the LR, since we use it for traveling; it's barely enough in cold weather and 80-mph speed limits. An M3P wouldn't have cut it for our needs, since I was charging at 90% already, and the extra 10% only would yield about 25 miles, not 40 (plus it takes a long time to charge that last 10%, and it's not good for the battery either). Good luck.
  • Recognize that tires CAN make a huge difference. Changing tires on my 2018 Lr RWD with 18” wheels gave me a 20% hit to range-that’s 60 miles. If the P comes with sticky performance tires, it’s easy to imagine a 40 mile range hit.
  • https://youtu.be/NYvKxsYFqO8?t=383
    https://youtu.be/zDPYAexE4Wk?t=598
  • @elptxjc_98581461

Thanks I enjoyed your perspective and advice. Having owned a RWD I do understand the optimistic nature of the epa rating but I guess I do expect the ranges to be relatively accurate. So if the epa range of the awd is 12% longer, I kind of expect the real world range to also be about 12% longer.
  • I pondered the same question last November. Test drove SR+ so I knew the speed and handling of the LR would be better. I opted for the LR AWD to keep the range. I did purchase the Acceleration Boost package last week so the performance now is closer to the P but I still have the range. The AB did not affect range one bit (as long as I’m easy in the pedal). IMHO, best of both worlds.
  • edited January 27
    I have a 2020 P and charged to 90% I get 256 miles. I estimate that with my not so soft driving I get 200-210 real world range (shorter drives around town etc). We have traveled long distances in it in the sun and in the cold. With the extensive SC network personally I find the range difference immaterial. I bought the P because I liked the dark wheels, red calipers, spoiler and the slightly lower stance. These, of course, can all be added after if you want. I couldn't be bothered to do that! Of course, the biggest draw is the acceleration. It is seriously, seriously fast. Overtaking on the highway is so quick and effortless. My colleague has the LR AWD and he says that there is a very noticeable difference between how the cars accelerate and overtake. he says the P is so much 'tighter' than his LR. Of course, range is less but I will take that hit for the fun aspect. Personally I didn't notice too much difference between suspension of his LR and my P. YMMV on that one.
    Whatever one you choose you have an amazing vehicle!
  • "I want to own a super car before I am too old to enjoy one."

Get the P!

I've never regretted it since 2018
  • Get Plaid if you want super car
  • In 1961 there was a TV show called Supercar. See it here: https://youtu.be/HFXcirSidnY Tesla can't match it's capabilities yet though.
  • I didn’t want the stupid 20” wheels, couldn’t get a stealth, ended up with a LR AWD and got the acceleration boost. Super happy with it and I’ve owned: AMG MBs, an Audi RS4, 911 turbo, and 911 GT3.
  • I’d go long range. Get the range and pretty fast. Not much different than performance.
  • > @Frank99 said:
    > ...If the P comes with sticky performance tires, it’s easy to imagine a 40 mile range hit.

Thank you Frank99 and TUMS4GAS. I had no idea the penalty would be that severe. If I go the p route it will be stealth. Will I even care about the brakes? (I’m not a track guy)
  • > @Calidude said:
    > I’d go long range. Get the range and pretty fast. Not much different than performance.

I dunno...when you are getting down to 4 second 0-60 speeds, shaving another 1/2 second off is huge. I just don’t want to make another purchase where I kick myself for not going after the best.
  • have a LR RWD '18 3 and a '20 Y Performance,,, if you are seriously contemplating wanting a Performance then get it. You will always be wondering and regretting not getting it. For those who have not owned a P Tesla you do not understand there is a big difference in performance, handling braking and aesthetics. Just keep looking at those red calipers and red line below dual motor and wonder if you dont have it.
  • I have a Late 2019 P, came out just before they switched the wheel color -- I have 20" light silver, which I prefer. It really depends on what you're up to I guess. I know I can add miles by switching wheels. But 99% of my driving (So. Ca.) is well within my range. And, I love how it looks.
  • > @coleAK said:
    > I didn’t want the stupid 20” wheels

Can you tell me why 20" wheels are stupid? Or was it just that you didn't want them for a particular reason?
  • They are heavy and more easily damaged, but I wouldn’t want anything else for the street. I have the Zero G reward wheels.
  • I flip flopped between the LR and P when I got my 3 back in October. Ended up getting the LR because I really wanted the 19" rims that matched the bright trim.

Also, as a few in my thread and again here suggest that we could always add the Acceleration Boost afterward. I haven't done that yet. No need to.
  • > @Spuzzz said:
    > Thank you Frank99 and TUMS4GAS. I had no idea the penalty would be that severe. If I go the p route it will be stealth. Will I even care about the brakes? (I’m not a track guy)

Get the P, sell the OEM 20s, and buy a set of aftermarket 18s. I imagine you can get decent money for OEM 20" tires and rims in new condition.
  • If you do make the switch I recommend you go used from Tesla. If you camp on teslacpo.io and watch the Performance versions they seem to get discounted the most if they stay too long in stock.

I picked up a 2019 M3P last September, 18K miles, for $46K. Yes, full Performance with FSD. Not perfect, a few rock chips and a tiny door ding but perfect enough for me.

I wanted the range benefit of 18" wheels so I found a set of 2020 Aeros used locally and did the caliper shave to make them fit. Note, the 2020 Aeros don't require the spacers to clear the hubs but they will require a tad bit more shaving on the calipers.

I really do like having AWD but I'd only get another Performance if the price was right. Honestly the only time I really use that 3.2 sec 0-60 is when I'm taking friends for their first ride. Otherwise I'm sure the AWD is plenty for me.
  • Awesome feedback guys thank you. Now this is a good use of the forum
  • I have the performance and wish I had bought just the AWD. You can only enjoy the added performance a very limited amount of time. I hardly ever punch it to the full potential.
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > I have the performance and wish I had bought just the AWD. You can only enjoy the added performance a very limited amount of time. I hardly ever punch it to the full potential.

Bc u lame
  • "You can only enjoy the added performance a very limited amount of time"

True, you can only enjoy it while driving it.
  • > @howard_98305575 said:
    > I hardly ever punch it to the full potential.

Man that's on you