Model 3

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Recirculating air ?

Generally speaking the climate control system is great, but often enough to be annoying someone nearby is smoking and the vent pulls that into the cabin.

In any other car I could just turn air from vent to recirculate but in the Model 3 that doesn’t even seem to be an option.

The only work around I’ve found is to turn climate control off which is very annoying.

Am I missing something ‽

Comments

• Recirculate is there. Its the circular arrow.
  • Yes, you hit the HVAC fan button to bring up your HVAC controls, then on the right side of the display there is a recirc button. Push that and you'll just be breathing your own farts.

Be aware the car will switch back to fresh air whenever you fiddle with the controls or push auto or park and come back. So if like me, you want it on recirc pretty much all the time, you'll have to manually put it in recirc every time you get in the car. I wish it would just stay the way you left it, but c'est la vie.
  • Press the right scroll wheel and ask the car to recirculate. You don't even need to say "Please".
  • I agree with all three previous posters!
  • > @AllanO said:
    > Press the right scroll wheel and ask the car to recirculate. You don't even need to say "Please".

I did that and now my M3 is stuck on a traffic circle and will not let me exit it. ;-)
  • Due to things like that, I'm used to always operate my vehicles in HVAC manual mode, at the lowest possible fan speed, with temps between 68 and 72, depending on season. Since the M3 has a completely different HVAC system, is it the best strategy for efficiency, or it's better to let it run in auto? Curious about that. Thx.
  • I think it is the best. Use Auto when it is hot outside. I use the following manual settings:

Recirc always off, except when outside air is very bad.

Lower and middle vent on, fan 1.

Fogging on the windshield: Upper vent also on.

Not warm enough: Raise fan speed. Around freezing levels outside, often 3 suffices.

If fogging cannot be brought under control: Auto (air contitioning on).
  • Recirc is there. Have you checked the owners manual?
  • > @HAL2001 said:
    > > @AllanO said:
    > > Press the right scroll wheel and ask the car to recirculate. You don't even need to say "Please".
    >
    > I did that and now my M3 is stuck on a traffic circle and will not let me exit it. ;-)

Okay. *Now* you will probably need to say "Please"!
  • For the sake of efficiency it would be nice if the climate system operated like many home climate systems do. Namely, allow you to set a range of temperatures, say 68-76, above which the A/C turns on, below which the heat turns on, and within which neither is on, only the fan operates.
  • > @"Family.Joules" said:
    > For the sake of efficiency it would be nice if the climate system operated like many home climate systems do. Namely, allow you to set a range of temperatures, say 68-76, above which the A/C turns on, below which the heat turns on, and within which neither is on, only the fan operates.

Personally I would not use that. I set 2 temperatures in my home, my Stay Temp and my Away Temp. If I am driving I only need 1 Temp. If I was to try it I would want to be within 4 degrees to say comfortable, but such a small range would probably bounce me from cold to hot to cold again. Do any cars you know of have this now?