Cybertruck

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

how will it perform in crash tests PLEASE READ!!

Well, the truck is VERY hard and the crumple zone might not actually be real with the metal they use.
If they use the 30x cold rolled steel that the told us it would be made with, the cybertruck will destroy the other car and might not be safe to other people because there is no "impact zone, crumple zone"
for the truck to adsorb the impact. It is like a car running into a concrete road divider head on. we will just have to see how they fix this problem
feel free to comment and sub to my youtube channel at ,
"cool tech with mick" have a nice day

Comments

• Tesla will likely be using a slightly modified version of 304L. This type of stainless steel can be work hardened to ~half hard. This is tough but not bend/crumple proof. In an accident it will crumple. Maybe not as much as the front end of a F150 but remember that ICE cars/trucks have a huge engine in front that certainly will not crumple as much as sheet metal. Those engines have substantial mass and wants to keep going through whatever gets in its way.
    BTW when the SN8 rocket slammed into the ground there was plenty of crumpled metal.
  • This reminds me of when we had to take the wifes car into the shop she had to drive the 2500hd. There was an a-hole driver who wouldn't let her over and she said "Wow, That's the first time I've ever had that thought where I could just be like boop and destroy that little car."
  • @Rich_R - will it hurt the other cars
  • Well, if my Model S plowed into any car from the 80's, apart from a Benz, it would be completely destroyed.

The CT will meet and most likely exceed the federal standards for the class of vehicle that it falls under.

Rest assured, there will be a crumple zone simply because if the CT doesn't absorb some of the impact guess what will, people in it will.

A number of years ago I saw a video demonstrating the crash worthiness of the safety cell in a Smart car. They slammed the car into a cement barrier at 70 mph. The cell held up, however anyone inside would have died from deceleration. Your body may physically stop in an instant, but you internal organs and brain won't.

So again, be assured that there will a crumple zone.
  • Consider every Tesla gets a 5-start crash rating, and Tesla designs its cars to exceed those ratings - often by a large margin. I don't see Tesla backing off safety for the Cybertruck.
  • personally, i wait to see crash test results or more information before being concerned.
  • Be aware, NHTSA does not always test every vehicle, and often not in the first year of release unless it has high volumes. For example, most Porsche models have never been crash-tested by NHTSA. Still, the Cybertruck should have high enough volumes to interest NHTSA.
  • apparently the ramp is going to be unlike anything we've seen, and i agree completely with that sentiment because its bent metal with metal casting interior (allegedly). i wonder how many robots they were able to replace with that design.
  • Well, with the robots that are not needed a bunch of metal brakes (metal folding/creasing machine) will be needed. If you really think about it, there is no different between a stamping pressing than a robot other than a "robot" can articulate. Both are automated and move is a predetermined pattern.
  • They will also need a large number of laser machines to cut out the stainless steel flat plates before bending them.

Also, I don't believe any of the exoskeleton sub-components will be diecast. Perhaps other parts of the chassis will be but we'll have to see.
  • I put a post up on here apparently someone must have mistaken it for a tolling statement. It was not. this truck is an exoskeleton design. you put a crumple zone into this body and even a mild hit that puts stress on the crumple zone the truck is TOTALED ! there are over 700,000 people waiting to get one , so how are you going to replace it if they total it. So yes i repeat i want the f150 to crumple not my CT. and yes i could then buff the f150 off my CT.

However that is not to say I don't want a steering column crumple zone . or proper airbags . but i don't want a " crumple zone " built in to the body go out off roading and it crumple or catch air or extreme off camber and find my CT is a rolling total loss.
  • Do you seriously think Tesla will design a vehicle that is totaled in that situation?
  • > @akgolf said:
    > Do you seriously think Tesla will design a vehicle that is totaled in that situation?

i would certainly like more info on the situation. the skin of the car is the structure or " frame" if you will. ford raptors had a frame bending problem on the early raptors off roading. so this is a unique situation with an exoskeletal structure. while it appears brutaly strong in theory. ( and proven in off-roading)

a crumple zone in external framing could be ( on its face, a conflict ) It is a highly innovative design. it is not a typical unibody. containing HP and Torque numbers that have never been implemented in normal vehicle unibody applications. and while in the racing world you see unibody designed vehicles with these sort of hp numbers, those vehicles use frame connectors and cages to support this power, and just about ANY vehicle that sustains major frame damage is a total loss i/e totaled. i believe my points and concerns are valid.

another real concern is stress and fatigue in off roading with a 1 piece unibody design . comparable vehicles in pick up design with these lengths allow for the frame to flex thus the bed is not integrated to cab to allow for the movement or flex in these twisting situations. early to mid 60s ford used a unibody design and had to do away with it. and a soft spot or crumple zone could adversely effect rigid integrity.

i have seen no tests of any kind with this truck off-road. so again i believe my concerns are valid
  • You’re going to be concerned a long time.

I doubt that information will be released before they start getting to customers.

Maybe I’ll jump in front of you and others that are similarly concerned.
  • Comments overheard at NHTSA test site:

"We're gonna need another star."

"It's kinda sad what that truck does to other passenger vehicles."

Hey Boss, order another one of those crash barriers. That damn Cybertruck just drove through another one!"
  • they should already have another star
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > Comments overheard at NHTSA test site:
    >
    > "We're gonna need another star."
    >
    > "It's kinda sad what that truck does to other passenger vehicles."
    >
    > Hey Boss, order another one of those crash barriers. That damn Cybertruck just drove through another one!"

Buff that ford off the fender and lets try again ........................................> @akgolf said:
    > You’re going to be concerned a long time.
    >
    > I doubt that information will be released before they start getting to customers.
    >
    > Maybe I’ll jump in front of you and others that are similarly concerned.

akgolf lmao that is NOT gonna happen !! unless they screw up final design so badly it comes out looking like the front end of a Rivian or a Bolinger ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
  • Bob, there has been no indication from Tesla that the design is being changed. Please stop speculating that they are.
  • literally nothing since the unveil in 2019 has been confirmed. several things have been said since then, but nothing has been shown.
  • > @barefootbob said:
    > > @TabascoGuy said:
    > > Comments overheard at NHTSA test site:
    > >
    > > "We're gonna need another star."
    > >
    > > "It's kinda sad what that truck does to other passenger vehicles."
    > >
    > > Hey Boss, order another one of those crash barriers. That damn Cybertruck just drove through another one!"
    >
    > Buff that ford off the fender and lets try again ........................................> @akgolf said:
    > > You’re going to be concerned a long time.
    > >
    > > I doubt that information will be released before they start getting to customers.
    > >
    > > Maybe I’ll jump in front of you and others that are similarly concerned.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > akgolf lmao that is NOT gonna happen !! unless they screw up final design so badly it comes out looking like the front end of a Rivian or a Bolinger ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    >

> @TabascoGuy said:
    > Bob, there has been no indication from Tesla that the design is being changed. Please stop speculating that they are.

I included my above reference to what I am assuming you are referring to with your comment. notice the " lmao" (laughing my a** off) and then the off handed comment . that means it is a JOKE ! NOT a speculation. I am more worried about technical details. I am not the least bit speculative about a change in body design. Nor am I worried about it. and you shouldn't be either but it is your choice to stress on such a detail if you wish.
  • Your reference to them screwing up the "final design" infers otherwise.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > Your reference to them screwing up the "final design" infers otherwise.

DUDE it was a joke what part of that escapes you ?
  • Aren't jokes supposed to be funny?