Cybertruck

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Cybertruck Hardened Against EMP

What would it take to harden the Cybertruck against an EMP?

Comments

• Coated in brass, and grounded.
  • and this is a concern why.....................?
  • not speaking for OP, but space detonated nuke, or a coronal mass ejection from the sun.
  • So the plan would be to buy a little extra time to put your personal affairs in order?
  • @TabascoGuy - Hey, every millisecond counts :)
  • Surviving a nuclear detonation, or a generated pulse there isn't much that can be done after the fact. Most of the protection is built into the circuit boards at the inputs where the wires come in.

As far as a CME or high altitude detonation its already safe as are all smaller electronic systems. Those typically only affect long line transmission (power) and any remaining wired communications which are largely replaced with fiber optics which are immune.
  • If you have to ask, you can't afford it. LOL
  • if your cybertruck survived an EMP, the power grid will not. So i dont know how you expect to charge it.
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > if your cybertruck survived an EMP, the power grid will not. So i dont know how you expect to charge it.

solar and/or generator I would assume. correct me if i am wrong but doesn't EMP destroy the chip sets in circuit boards? would that not render CT basically DOA ? not that it is a concern or game changer for me . but a viable question as far out as it seems
  • EMP basically fries anything that has an electrical circuit. So wherever you are protecting your cybertruck, better have means of charging also inside of whatever enclosure you've got going on. Grounded brass box would do the trick.
  • Likely an EMP will take out every vehicle - ICE and EV. Very little has been made in the last 40 years without some microprocessors or ICs. Even transistors and diodes might get destroyed, so a 60-year old ICE car would also fail. I think a 1906 Stanley Steamer would survive fine.
  • Just exactly in what scenarios would your truck get hit by an EMP?
  • I'd expect you'd get an EMP about 2 seconds before it is melted/destroyed by a nuclear blast. Not something one should worry about too much!
  • Future Mars truck could use such shielding...
  • > @andy_connor_e said:
    > if your cybertruck survived an EMP, the power grid will not. So i dont know how you expect to charge it.

Using the available built in Solar panels, granted you would be limited to just 15 miles a day. :)
  • thats the goal
  • I've had the same topical thought and question. Not expecting that any microchips would typically survive an EMP incident/attack, I've hoped Tesla would figure out some way to somehow essentially make the CT body a Faraday cage. I don't know if it's possible.
    Yes, EMP currently may seem far fetched - but it is possible. I have an '86 motorcycle with no electronics, and presently looking for a mid-70's or before (electronics free) 4wd truck for a utility vehicle... for contingencies of that sort. I prefer to have thought through and prepared for about any worst case scenario. Why not if you can?