Cybertruck

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

One Flaw I definitely see

So imagine you hook up your trailer, my over all trailer length is 30' ft ok so I pull into a supercharger station. all the the ones I have seen are back in charger spots no in and out or deep parking. sooo how do charge my Cyber Truck when the charging port appears to be on the back of the truck ?

Ooor maybe you have hooked up your trailer the night before to leave on a trip and you want to charge the battery. hmmmmm it is in the back.

however if it was in the front you could nose up to the garage door and plug in. For thought mr engineers

Comments

• Like most do now with a trailer you unhook it then charge and reconnect the trailer.
  • There are a few newer locations that accommodate a trailer today with more locations coming. These are for smaller trailers, so if you have a 30' trailer and a 10' Cybertruck, you're more like a semi.

Unhooking may be your only choice as stacok suggests.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > There are a few newer locations that accommodate a trailer today with more locations coming. These are for smaller trailers, so if you have a 30' trailer and a 10' Cybertruck, you're more like a semi.
    >
    > Unhooking may be your only choice as stacok suggests.

that can be a likely hood , however if this is a tesla sponsored forum i would think someone from tesla goes through these and reads this and says " o ya" we need to address this issue
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Like most do now with a trailer you unhook it then charge and reconnect the trailer.

echoing this response. If you had a trailer attached to your cybertruck, how would you park the truck in your garage?
  • Sort of related to this topic, I have seen some new trailers coming out specifically with added electrical capacity via on board battery storage to help charge your electric vehicle from the trailer battery.

It is a fact that towing a heavy trailer will greatly reduce the range of even the highest battery option Cybertruck. It would be really great if the truck could somehow use the battery on a trailer to either recharge a portion of the battery while the vehicle is driving or to actually use the battery on the trailer similar to a reserve tank to extend the range. The trailer already will have wires connecting to the truck. What's one more?
  • posts keep disappearing on me . maybe i am being to crass ? or rude ? i don't know. i will try to word it differently and see if the post survives. I do not mean to come off that way. i am a direct person ( and a bit unfiltered) so apologies to the moderator and anyone that takes offence, not meant to be offensive. I am a caveman i/e old school / traditional truck owner . but i put my deposit down on a CT so i am quiet serious with my concerns

disconnecting and charging on a long trip with a heavy trailer is not a viable solution. nor is it a quick charge solution. especially after long hours of driving towards a destination. that is the reasoning for suggesting front end charging or " nose in" which does not imply driving into your garage with a trailer. it implies that your charger is near your garage door where you could pull the front end up of your truck ( outside) and plug in your charger . provided you have a long enough driveway to also have the trailer attached. and tesla charging stations are designed ( at least what i have seen is a back in stall for a car, that does not work for a CT with a load.
  • @barefootbob - See my answer in your other thread for lost posts.

Keep in mind the Cybertruck like any truck is not going to be ideal for every owner. Tesla is focused on the mass market right now. For example, it's very doubtful the Cybertruck would work for a 5th wheel RV as the bed sides may interfere. For what it's designed for, it will do great.

In a crash, the #1 goal for most owners is to not be hurt. If that means the vehicle is totaled in a high-speed accident, and you walk away, I'd consider that a win. Tesla has always prioritized safety in all its vehicles and I don't expect the Cybertruck will be different. I would hope it would be one of the first trucks to get a 5-start crash rating across the board.

If your goal is to minimize damage in an accident at the sacrifice of the occupants, well there are plenty of existing truck designs that accomplish that already.
  • > @"TeslaTap.com" said:
    > @barefootbob - See my answer in your other thread for lost posts.
    >
    > Keep in mind the Cybertruck like any truck is not going to be ideal for every owner. Tesla is focused on the mass market right now. For example, it's very doubtful the Cybertruck would work for a 5th wheel RV as the bed sides may interfere. For what it's designed for, it will do great.
    >
    > In a crash, the #1 goal for most owners is to not be hurt. If that means the vehicle is totaled in a high-speed accident, and you walk away, I'd consider that a win. Tesla has always prioritized safety in all its vehicles and I don't expect the Cybertruck will be different. I would hope it would be one of the first trucks to get a 5-start crash rating across the board.
    >
    > If your goal is to minimize damage in an accident at the sacrifice of the occupants, well there are plenty of existing truck designs that accomplish that already.

with a goose neck type attachment in lew of 5th wheel they bolt right on to the trailer it is possible as the goose neck pushes the trailer further back than where a 5th wheel attachment sits. and the cool thing is it only needs a goose neck ball in the bed of your truck. only questions are is that trunk inside the bed going to interfere . and is the bed strong enough to support the tong weight

I agree with you on saftey in a high speed accident , however this design presents an entirely different set of challenges to meet that, and the added stress from off roading. Just because there is no crumple zone does not make it " unsafe" and who wants a truck that is totaled because it caught air in an off roading adventure. or a mild lower speed accident. its weight and mass and the fact everything else crumples would be of great benefit. and some vehicles don't get a 5 star rating i am good with that. as would be a pretty fair amount of traditional truck owners would agree
  • Tesla is using a giga press for the cybertruck. My guess is a portion of the exterior will be frame, and a portion of it will be pressed. The front is more than likely going to be pressed and include the crumple zone just as the Model Y rear portion. But i echo the notion of being concerned about something that you probably do not need to be concerned about.
  • The large die cast machine video making the rounds is shown making the single rear casting for the Model Y. Also, the die cast machine is at the Fremont facility, not Austin.

Here's the Shanghai die cast machine making the exact same part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5TKuTUwkgg
  • > @stacok_98279004 said:
    > Like most do now with a trailer you unhook it then charge and reconnect the trailer.

LOL. Yeah, screw that crap!. Already sacrificing with added charging time versus just filling up a gas tank. Now, you have to unhook and rehook up your trailer every time to charge?? Yeah right! That ain't happening! Very few would be on board for that. Tesla will have to alter at least some Supercharging stalls to allow for "pull through" capability for it to appeal as a long distance traveller that tows something regularly.
  • > @TabascoGuy said:
    > The large die cast machine video making the rounds is shown making the single rear casting for the Model Y. Also, the die cast machine is at the Fremont facility, not Austin.
    >
    > Here's the Shanghai die cast machine making the exact same part:
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5TKuTUwkgg

There are also drone photos making the rounds of the model Y die casting machines being delivered to Austin, so they will have the new casting process for Model Y ready to go when the Austin Model Y line starts up.
  • Is this a real problem or you making a problem ?
    > @barefootbob said:
    > So imagine you hook up your trailer, my over all trailer length is 30' ft ok so I pull into a supercharger station. all the the ones I have seen are back in charger spots no in and out or deep parking. sooo how do charge my Cyber Truck when the charging port appears to be on the back of the truck ?
    >
    > Ooor maybe you have hooked up your trailer the night before to leave on a trip and you want to charge the battery. hmmmmm it is in the back.
    >
    > however if it was in the front you could nose up to the garage door and plug in. For thought mr engineers
  • http://ts.la/phil20426
    http://ts.la/phil20426

My referral code if any one you know buy a Tesla product give you 3% discount .> @Ritetemp said:
    > Is this a real problem or you making a problem ?
    > > @barefootbob said:
    > > So imagine you hook up your trailer, my over all trailer length is 30' ft ok so I pull into a supercharger station. all the the ones I have seen are back in charger spots no in and out or deep parking. sooo how do charge my Cyber Truck when the charging port appears to be on the back of the truck ?
    > >
    > > Ooor maybe you have hooked up your trailer the night before to leave on a trip and you want to charge the battery. hmmmmm it is in the back.
    > >
    > > however if it was in the front you could nose up to the garage door and plug in. For thought mr engineers
    >
    >