Model Y

Tesla Forums are now read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

Blindside warning / braking

I have had my car for about a month now, and I am wondering if I am the only one who has had a few of these issues and wishes.

1-After my other cars had blindside warings , I have come to relay on them. I know that the car is not equipped with indicators on the mirrors, but maybe they could activate a chime to alert you of a car in your blindspot when you turn your signal on.

2- I have had issues with the car braking very hard for no reason, no other car was within 50 feet of me and the car just braked( doing 75 on the highway on cruise control) scared the living hell out me and my wife. I thought it was a fluke until it did it again, I am hoping that someone can tell me if I did something wrong a work around , or a issue that maybe the service center should look at.

Thanks

Comments

• I do sympathize with you, for both your concerns are valid, and I'm sure many more would agree as well. Regarding #1 it's a known issue, and I have run into many close encounters with no beep/alert of a vehicle in the blind spot. I have now gone the old school way and brought blind spot mirrors, and so far, it's been working great.

About #2, you can search for breaking, and multiple people have complained earlier, including myself ref: https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/175194/sudden-braking-on-highway/p1. IMO, I have always experienced this sudden breaking after a downhill under a bridge or something. I suspect that shadow or something causes the sensors to go crazy, anticipating an obstacle and breaking hard for no reason.
  • “ and I have run into many close encounters with no beep/alert of a vehicle in the blind spot.”

That’s simply not true. There is a blind spot alert system. If you activate your turn signal and start to move into a lane with a car in it the car on screen and the lane line turns red, there’s a warning beep, and the car nudges you back into your lane.
  • “ I have now gone the old school way and brought blind spot mirrors, and so far, it's been working great.”

No reason to buy anything, just adjust your mirrors correctly to cover your blind spots, not the side of your car
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > “ and I have run into many close encounters with no beep/alert of a vehicle in the blind spot.”
    >
    > That’s simply not true. There is a blind spot alert system. If you activate your turn signal and start to move into a lane with a car in it the car on screen and the lane line turns red, there’s a warning beep, and the car nudges you back into your lane.

How do you do that, when i turn on my signal, the car in the lane does turn red, but there is not beep and the car does not nudge me back into my lane. On top of that when I am changing lanes to the left, I don't look to the right at the screen.
  • > @madhushell_98643375 said:
    > I do sympathize with you, for both your concerns are valid, and I'm sure many more would agree as well. Regarding #1 it's a known issue, and I have run into many close encounters with no beep/alert of a vehicle in the blind spot. I have now gone the old school way and brought blind spot mirrors, and so far, it's been working great.
    >
    > About #2, you can search for breaking, and multiple people have complained earlier, including myself ref: https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/175194/sudden-braking-on-highway/p1. IMO, I have always experienced this sudden breaking after a downhill under a bridge or something. I suspect that shadow or something causes the sensors to go crazy, anticipating an obstacle and breaking hard for no reason.

Thanks for the link, Tonight the braking happen again, I was in the far left lane (HOV). It appears that as I was coming around a curve the car in the next right lane slowed down and my car slammed on the brakes. I think the sensors are not able to focus on the lane that I am in but thinks that the car in the next lane is in my lane. My last car had adaptive cruise control and it did not act in this manner. After reviewing the link you supplied this has been an ongoing issue. I love the car but I have no faith in the cruise control at this time. Until it is fixed i guess i will just drive myself like in the old days. To think that I paid 50K+ for a car that has a flawed CC system.

Thanks for your help
  • > @subsail said: Tonight the braking happen again, I was in the far left lane (HOV). It appears that as I was coming around a curve the car in the next right lane slowed down and my car slammed on the brakes. I think the sensors are not able to focus on the lane that I am in but thinks that the car in the next lane is in my lane. My last car had adaptive cruise control and it did not act in this manner. After reviewing the link you supplied this has been an ongoing issue. I love the car but I have no faith in the cruise control at this time. Until it is fixed i guess i will just drive myself like in the old days. To think that I paid 50K+ for a car that has a flawed CC system."

It's a shocker because you think if the car can even advertise "Full Self Driving" it must have gotten the basic right (BLIS, RCTA, LaneKeeping, Adaptive cruise) but instead Tesla had to sacrifice those proven safeties for everyday driving in order for the $10k "Full Self Driving" product to work.
  • Shut up FISH you dumb ass bitch
  • You can search for "phantom braking" here and on TMC forum. My experiences with it keep occurring at the same locations, and the cruise control unilaterally adjusts its set speed to a lower value. In these cases it isn't due to any perception of conflicting traffic. I sure hope Tesla can sort this out soon!
  • That’s not phantom braking, that’s incorrect speed limit assessment.
  • > @lbowroom said:
    > That’s not phantom braking, that’s incorrect speed limit assessment.

Is there an official definition somewhere? I only recall one incident of heavy braking when the car may have thought there was a traffic conflict. What I don't remember about that situation was whether it beeped a warning to slow down as it decelerated. I wonder if others are getting aural warnings when phantom braking occurs?

The other decelerations I regularly experience are still strong, just not sure if they are more than full regen braking. I agree it's probably something to do with a speed limit but in every case the speed limit sign on the right of the display always shows the right value. I engage TACC in current speed mode. What changes is the TACC set speed, which should be controlled only by me in these situations. The new value can be higher or lower than the actual speed limit. I have reported the locations to [email protected] and got an acknowledgment but no other feedback on the issue.
  • If you are going to be using cruise control, go into Auto Pilot settings and set "Automatic Emergency Braking" to off.
    This should stop the car from "phantom braking" while using cruise control. Keep in mind that you have to change this setting every time you start the car as it will default back to "on".