Model S

Starting March 15th, Tesla Forums will become read only. To continue the conversation with the Tesla community visit engage.tesla.com.

February 2021 Attempt to Secure Group Discount for Model S Power Frunk Hood Device

I was disappointed that Tesla did not include a power frunk hood feature in the refreshed Models S and X.

If, like me, you missed out on an original group buy 20% discount (in January 2021), we hope to get another group-discount thing going. Again, this would be to purchase the _Tesla Offer_ electric power frunk (front) hood device (from what I read, the best model on the market). There are four versions (for Models S, X, 3, and Y) and if we can get adequate numbers I think a discount should apply to all of those versions. I plan to communicate with Tesla Offer on Monday (they are away for holiday this weekend) to confirm the minimum requirements. I am NOT affiliated in any way with Tesla Offer. I just hope to be able to secure a decent discount on a intriguing product.

You can see more about this new group-discount effort at TMC, for example here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/tesla-offer-models-s-x-3-y-powered-frunk-hood-group-buy.220384/
«1

Comments

  • I'd be in for one (2017 S).
  • I am in, 2016 Model S 90D.
  • I wonder if the powered hood release may be a NTSB requirement to allow access to first responders pull the kill tab to disengage the battery in the event of a problem. Maybe that's why it's not a factory thing.
  • Hi,

    Thanks for responding. If you (DRFLGD and john_98121786) also have access to the TMC Forum (https://teslamotorsclub.com/) could you please contact me there and ID yourself as the two people who contacted me here? My ID there is the same as here--tps5352.

    If not, we'll eventually have to exchange email addresses or something. (Figuring this out as I go.)

    Nothing needed at the moment.

    I will be in touch after I "talk" to Tesla Offer (in Hong Kong) later today (Monday morning their time).

    Tim
  • Will they have a version for the refresh model coming out this year?
  • > @tps5352 said:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Thanks for responding. If you (DRFLGD and john_98121786) also have access to the TMC Forum (https://teslamotorsclub.com/) could you please contact me there and ID yourself as the two people who contacted me here? My ID there is the same as here--tps5352.
    >
    > If not, we'll eventually have to exchange email addresses or something. (Figuring this out as I go.)
    >
    > Nothing needed at the moment.
    >
    > I will be in touch after I "talk" to Tesla Offer (in Hong Kong) later today (Monday morning their time).
    >
    > Tim

    I also contacted them via e-mail. I have a feeling they'll give up a discount (code) without needing a large group to sign up again.
  • > @Hayseed_MS said:
    > Will they have a version for the refresh model coming out this year?

    Yes, I believe so. On the Model S electric frunk page you can choose either the Mark 3 or Mark 4 versions. If you choose the Mark 4, it applies to "2021+" Model S cars. I assume that covers the upcoming refresh versions, but to be sure you can write to or chat with Tesla Offer.
  • > @DRFLGD said:
    ...
    > I also contacted them via e-mail. I have a feeling they'll give up a discount (code) without needing a large group to sign up again.

    That will be good news. I will contact them today after 5 PM (Sunday), which is 9AM (Monday) their time, and try to confirm the necessary number and the discount amount.
  • > @tps5352 said:
    > > @Hayseed_MS said:
    > > Will they have a version for the refresh model coming out this year?
    >
    > Yes, I believe so...

    On th Tesla Offer Model 3 electric frunk webpage there is a handy table that indicates the differences between the various versions of the electric frunk by Tesla Offer.

    https://www.teslaoffer.com/product/model-3-electric-frunk/

    For Model X only Mark 3 is currently available. For Model Y, only Mark 4 is available. For Models S and 3 there appears to remain a choice between Mark 3 and Mark 4 electric frunk versions, depending on the Tesla model-year.
  • I sent you a message at TMC. Same handle there as here.
  • > @tps5352 said:
    > > @DRFLGD said:
    > ...
    > > I also contacted them via e-mail. I have a feeling they'll give up a discount (code) without needing a large group to sign up again.
    >
    > That will be good news. I will contact them today after 5 PM (Sunday), which is 9AM (Monday) their time, and try to confirm the necessary number and the discount amount.

    Sounds good and thanks for alerting me/us.
  • > @Ohmster said:
    > I sent you a message at TMC. Same handle there as here.

    Right, got it. Did you want one for your Model S or one for the Model X? Or do you want two?
  • Got an email back. No go.
  • > @tps5352 said:
    > > @Ohmster said:
    > > I sent you a message at TMC. Same handle there as here.
    >
    > Right, got it. Did you want one for your Model S or one for the Model X? Or do you want two?

    Ugh. This extra step in posting is driving me nuts.

    Just one. Will be trading or selling S for Plaid +. Keeping X we think.
  • I installed one on my '19 MX. Sweet upgrade. Well worth the $500. We now actually use the frunk.
  • > @Pungoteague_Dave said:
    > I installed one on my '19 MX. Sweet upgrade. Well worth the $500. We now actually use the frunk.

    Which one? I'm still thinking of doing it but will look for the best one, not the one with the discount.
  • I just watched the installation video on youtube.

    The whole procedure looks fraught with peril.
  • TommyBoy had one installed on their car.
  • Unfortunately, the effort to secure a February 2021 group-buy discount has been discontinued. I remain convinced that the Tesla Offer/Amp Tech electric frunk-hood device is the best on the market. However, Tesla Offer is unable to provide a group-buy discount at this time.

    Things could always change, so continue to watch on this Forum, on the TMC Forum, on YouTube, and on the Tesla Offer website. Thanks for your interest.
  • > @avesraggiana said:
    > I just watched the installation video on youtube.
    >
    > The whole procedure looks fraught with peril.

    Yes and no. I feel that if a person (a) is handy with common tools, (b) enjoys working on cars and has basic familarity with automotive wiring, and (c) is patient and carefully follows the written and video installation steps, he/she should be able to whip this out in just a couple of hours. But yes, there can be problems for the inexperienced. I do NOT advise doing this yourself if the Tesla is your only car (in case you have to visit the auto supply or hardware store mid-stream).

    As with all projects, preparation is key--e.g., purchasing an automotive push-pin removal tool (from local auto shop, hardware store, Home-Depot, etc.); having a supply of GOOD-QUALITY, long-lasting cable ties and possibly additional double sided tape; having work gloves (to avoid skinned knuckles when switching the struts); watching more than one video, say by Frugal Tesla Guy, Tesla Offer, Tesla Raj, Amp Tech (turn the German audio off, if necessary); and really studying the installation instructions, in combination with your favorite video if possible.

    If you can afford professional installation, then that offers advantages--at a cost. But there is great satisfaction in doing something like this yourself and doing it right (e.g., neat/tidy installation with all cables and devices professionally secured and hardware properly tightened and tested). On the other hand, the pros are quick, experienced, and tend to have extra small supplies if something breaks.
  • > @DRFLGD said:
    > Got an email back. No go.

    Yes, Sorry about that. Tesla Offer unable to offer (ironically) a discount at this time.
  • > @john_98121786 said:
    > I am in, 2016 Model S 90D.

    Sorry, have to cancel the effort at this time. Tesla Offer in unable to provide a discount at the moment.
  • > @Pungoteague_Dave said:
    > I installed one on my '19 MX. Sweet upgrade. Well worth the $500. We now actually use the frunk.

    Yes, that's why I want one. I had trouble closing a Model S I rented. Also once put a thumb-sized dent in a girlfriend's car hood. Nervous about doing the same to a new Tesla. So I'll be getting a powered frunk-closer, even without a discount.
  • > @tps5352 said:
    > > @DRFLGD said:
    > > Got an email back. No go.
    >
    > Yes, Sorry about that. Tesla Offer unable to offer (ironically) a discount at this time.

    No need to apologize. And it's not that they're unable: they're unwilling. I'll look for another one but will probably just do what I've been doing: not using the frunk.
  • > @tps5352
    > If you can afford professional installation, then that offers advantages--at a cost. But there is great satisfaction in doing something like this yourself and doing it right (e.g., neat/tidy installation with all cables and devices professionally secured and hardware properly tightened and tested). On the other hand, the pros are quick, experienced, and tend to have extra small supplies if something breaks.


    Thanks for your input. If I were to have it professionally installed, where would I go, an auto audio store perhaps?
Sign In or Register to comment.